Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #21
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Supplements you use- bodybuilding/weightloss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
If you got a least 6 months, not needle adverse, and have a $600 a month budget. Testosterone is more effective and can raise HGH levels as well.

I don't think Bonds used HGH, just steroids? HGH would give him fat loss which it appears did not happen to him.
You're probably right. It wasn't meant to be a factual assessment of what he took...
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #22
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Interesting info, peeps. I guess at my advanced age(53) I no longer feel it possible to be an "Arnold" bodybuilder type. My goal is to be physically fit. I have recently started on PACE(similar to HIIT) and am looking to get my diet in shape. I need to lose 100 lbs.

I am afraid of some of the thermogenic supplements because I don't want a heart attack! I do have a pace-maker, so I need to be somewhat careful with what I ingest siupplement wise.

Most medical web pages poo poo supplements, as do many MDs. Yet, some do seem to work! I understand creatine has gotten good vibes, but you need to take such a huge amount in the loading phase! And, I have read that it's a no no for diabetics.

Right now I am using a whey protein shake 3 times a week after my workout. I also just bought a bottle of BSN Syntha-6 Protein Powder, which has gotten good reviews on Amazon, and I believe a few inmates have mentioned it positively here as well.

You can drive yourself nuts by reading all the info/options that are available- and many are simply hype and a waste of money.

Thanks to all who are responding here- I trust my brothers and their words of wisdom!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #23
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
I am afraid of some of the thermogenic supplements because I don't want a heart attack!
Or worse. I tried one of the supposedly natural ones years ago (I forget the brand), then had to take a blood test after a few weeks, the numbers were so out of whack it was scary. The Doctor said it was a good coincidence that it was caught, as he felt that continuing would have been putting my liver at risk for permanent damage. He also implied that drinking an entire fifth of booze a day would have been considerably less damaging.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #24
hotreds

Bolivar

Yep, I take Fish Oil- actually an EFA with fish, borage, and flax oils. And, a baby aspirin and saw palmetto. I take 10 vitamin pills every morning for "general health."
Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #25
hotreds

Bolivar

Didn't think about potential liver damage! Very good and valid point!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #26
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Honestly, if you are looking to be fit I'd say the best way to do that is keep things simple. Eat healthy is the hardest thing for most people so if you can stay on top of this you are off to a great start.

Next, I'd say all you need is a multi vitamin, whey isolate, and some BCAAs on lifting days. I would avoid supplements that have creatine or a stimulant in it. I also like to bring a banana for some extra potassium.

Finally, try to limit your consumption of beer.

I can certainly get more detailed if you like, but in my experiences (PHs, creatine, stimulants) the best results for me were the basics....clearly everyone's anatomy is different.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #27
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I get a shot of testosterone in the ass every other week, and drink tons of water. I'm naturally freakishly strong, so much so that I've destroyed everything on my body. Same way with my older brother. He's ruined every joint in his body from overpulling, lifting, and working.
I think there's a lot to be said for the couch and peanut M&M plan.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #28
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

Side note about multivitamins.....check out the label and make sure there it doesn't contain iron or make sure you are not ingesting more than 8mgs/day. It's shocking how many multis have 8mgs or more per serving.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #29
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
Side note about multivitamins.....check out the label and make sure there it doesn't contain iron or make sure you are not ingesting more than 8mgs/day. It's shocking how many multis have 8mgs or more per serving.
You need to get out of the women's aisle!

Hugh, I've used Syntha-6 for a couple years, mixed w/ soy milk. Great stuff.

And if you're on any kind of cholesterol med, get your testosterone checked. You might medically "qualify" for testosterone supplements/gel. First hand knowledge...

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #30
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
You might medically "qualify" for testosterone supplements/gel. First hand knowledge...
The gel is what Bonds claim to have taken, referred to as the “clear”. The gels are nothing like the injections which make me doubt Bonds’ claim that is (the gel) all he took.

A proper blood test and physical should be starting point of anyone who is serious about working out and considering supplements of any sort. It’s hard to make specific recommendations on nutrition or deficiencies without clinically finding out where you currently are. The physical and blood tests will also create a real base line for the future.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #31
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
You need to get out of the women's aisle!

I was shocked at how many men's multi vitamins had iron in it.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #32
ABNMP619

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
How much water do you recommend daily? I have heard 1 oz. water per 1 lb. of body weight from a few people.

A friend of mine was a Marine now Yoga Instructor. He mixes drill sgt. style into his classes.
Moses, one technique I use is the 1 GAL Water method! What this means is you buy 1 GAL of drinking water a day for 2 weeks. You start in the morning before breakfast by drinking water and then throughout the day you finsih this jug of water before dinner. After the 2 weeks you take a break and only drink juice and small amounts of water. You MUST reduce your Sodium (Salt) and (Soda) while doing this. Remember, Salt holds water in. A pinch of salt a day is all you really need to sustain proper hydration levels. Also, remember, a good Electrolyte drink (Gatorade, etc.) must be rotated in their as well to keep your Electrolytes up. You are going to go PEE like every 10 minutes, but it is flushing a lot of unncessary stuff from your body and you fill full throughout the day and you eat less.

Please be careful though guys when doing this stuff, make sure your wife, friend, or "battle buddy" watches your progress.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #33
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNMP619 View Post
Moses, one technique I use is the 1 GAL Water method!
Sounds like music to my ears. I keep a galllon jug at my desk, but you have motivated my to kill it daily!