Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-28-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

First Name: Randy
Trading: (9)
JL
jerseystepup is on a distinguished road
Default Famous Nic selection

About to pull the trigger on a bundle as it’s all I can afford right now... but having trouble deciphering between. 1000, 2000, etc. in YOUR opinion what’s the best in this series and why?

Currently smoking a Dominican 3000 and while it’s good, it falls a little short to me.
jerseystepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:44 AM   #2
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Famous Nic selection

I smoke the Nic 3000 sometimes. It used to be sorta a cult cigar, made by Oliva. Not sure if it still is. But, it’s a reasonable cheap cigar. It doesn’t”t have the enormous strength that is now sorta a characteristics of a Pepin or Fernandez cigar.

In the cheap Nicaraguan category, I’d prefer to go over to Cfbdi and get a Fallen Angel, Cubao, or the Nica Libre Potencia or Aganorsa
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:25 AM   #3
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

The NIC 5000 60 is a great maduro. They come out of AJF's factory, IIRC.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
In the cheap Nicaraguan category, I’d prefer to go over to Cfbdi and get a Fallen Angel, Cubao, or the Nica Libre Potencia or Aganorsa
+1 on the Fallen Angel, those are really nice smokes. Furthermore I can't really speak to the Famous Nicaraguan line, as I've never tried them.

But if I were in a financial bind, I'd probably consider more budget friendly lines by companies I already knew I liked. They aren't as cheap as the Famous line, but have you tried the El Cobre by Oliva? Damn fine cigar, full bodied spicy Nicaraguan profile, comes in bundles of 25 for approximately $80...could probably be found on bidding sites for even less but I haven't looked.

All that said, in the past, I have been tempted to buy the most affordable cigar but then I find that inevitably I end up being able to buy better cigars and then the cheap cigars never get smoked and just take up space. (Unless those cigars are like the Fallen Angel or El Cobre which are still excellent cigars and just so happen to be much more affordable.) just my
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #5
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomeitsmybday View Post

But if I were in a financial bind, I'd probably consider more budget friendly lines by companies I already knew I liked. They aren't as cheap as the Famous line, but have you tried the El Cobre by Oliva? Damn fine cigar, full bodied spicy Nicaraguan profile, comes in bundles of 25 for approximately $80...could probably be found on bidding sites for even less but I haven't looked.
I haven’t had El Cobre in a while; actually have some in the mail now. The other cigars are made by companies I like.

Cubao - Ortega
Nica Libre potencia - Oliva
Nica Libre Aganorsa - Aganorsa Leaf (was Casa Fernandez)
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:07 PM   #6
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

JL

Awesome thanks guys!! Maybe I’ll just save up a little bit for right now. The wife limited me to $50 for cigars for the on my next purchase. Two kids and she’s out of work soooo yea lol. I’m really really liking the sound of those Potencia’s
Old 04-29-2020, 01:48 PM   #7
TXRebel
Have My Own Room

First Name: Cary
Trading: (12)
TXRebel has disabled reputation

For the money, I like the Flor De Oliva Maduro.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:34 PM   #8
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

JL

I had a flor de oliva once maybe 10 years ago. I remember it being an enormous Churchill lol. But I believe I liked it. Was either the natural or gold. I’ll have to look into the Maduros. Are these from the oliva factory or just a similar name?
Old 04-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #9
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

JL

Anyone ever try the Conuco? It’s a super cheap bundle cigar made by Patel exclusively for famous. I’m very weary with the price point but reviews I’ve read all over seem to be pretty decent.

Boy do I mis the old days when I was able to smoke good cigars! Lol
Old 04-30-2020, 07:40 AM   #10
Snook
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Leo
Trading: (3)
Bolivar
Snook is on a distinguished road

Cigar page has 20 brickhouse robustos for $55. Slightly above your budget but a damn good stick. https://www.cigarpage.com/brick-hous...TXdFeEhQIn0%3D
Snook is offline   Reply With Quote