Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
DEZn00ts
What? I didn't catch that

First Name: Xavier
Trading: (0)
DEZn00ts is on a distinguished road
Default Freezing Cigars For Beetles? What do you guys think?

I was wondering if it is a good idea to freeze any incoming cigars just to be safe with beetles. I'm new, got some cigars coming in and don't want to risk damaging them because of the temps/humidity I have to learn how to deal with. What does everyone think?
DEZn00ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Freezing Cigars For Beetles? What do you guys think?

I freeze every cigar that comes in no matter if it was from a shop or a friend (unless I'm going to smoke it in the next couple of days, and then it stays quarantined). Overcautious?
Probably. But I've known a couple of people with collections that got destroyed by beetles. It's ugly! And enough to make a grown man cry.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

If you search or look through the forums here there are huge threads about freezing and the science behind it.

Lots of great info here if you look.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #4
DEZn00ts

Good. I am the overcautious type and thanks for the tips I really do appreciate it. I guess I will freeze the ones I have now and freeze the other ones when they come in. I will look up those threads Adam, thanks.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
DEZn00ts

I'm kind of scared to freeze my cigars and looking there isn't really any "Do's And Don'ts" about it besides don't freeze cigars long term for storage. Is there anything I shouldn't do when freezing? I already placed them in the fridge and will put them in the freezer tomorrow for 2 days. Some say 2, some say 3 and some say it only takes 2-3 hours to kill anything in the cigars. What is definitive?

Last edited by DEZn00ts; 05-14-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I skip the fridge and just put into the freezer. If loose, put in a ziplock bag and removes as much air as possible. Regular fridge, 4 days minimum. Chest freezer, 3 days min. Remove and put into my humidor. Never had an issue. Hell, I've smoked some straight from the freezer.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #7
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I freeze all cigars. I put them into the fridge for 24 hours min and then the freezer for 3-4 days and then back in the fridge for 24 hours.

Everyone has a different approach. I've never found freezing to hurt a cigar. I have, however, found that not freezing can hurt a cigar (beetles)
markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #8
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZn00ts View Post
I'm kind of scared to freeze my cigars and looking there isn't really any "Do's And Don'ts" about it besides don't freeze cigars long term for storage. Is there anything I shouldn't do when freezing? I already placed them in the fridge and will put them in the freezer tomorrow for 2 days. Some say 2, some say 3 and some say it only takes 2-3 hours to kill anything in the cigars. What is definitive?
There’s a sticky thread that has much detailed info. I put my cigars in a plastic bag with a Boveda humidification packet. After freezing, I keep them sealed with the Boveda for several days to let the moisture even out. I’ve never had any problem going straight in and out of the freezer and the room.
Wharf Rat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
DEZn00ts

Cool coo so I've been looking and threads and the consensus is... Fridge: Optional, Freeze: Manditory (mostly) and if the freezer isn't cold enough leave them in there for longer. I took them out of the fridge after an hour and put them in the freezer. I'll do what Chainsaw13 said and leave them in there for 4 days instead of 3 because I have no clue how cold it gets. You guys are awesome.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:18 PM   #10
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
I freeze all cigars. I put them into the fridge for 24 hours min and then the freezer for 3-4 days and then back in the fridge for 24 hours.

Everyone has a different approach. I've never found freezing to hurt a cigar. I have, however, found that not freezing can hurt a cigar (beetles)
This.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:20 PM   #11
DEZn00ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Hell, I've smoked some straight from the freezer.
Lol I don't see why not! So what do most of you guys do after taking them out of the freezer? Do you leave them out of the humidor for a while or do you put them directly into the humidor? I would think it wouldn't make a difference because the humidor/coolidor will level out the humidity but I want to know what most of you do.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:38 PM   #12
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Lol I don't see why not! So what do most of you guys do after taking them out of the freezer? Do you leave them out of the humidor for a while or do you put them directly into the humidor? I would think it wouldn't make a difference because the humidor/coolidor will level out the humidity but I want to know what most of you do.
Like I mentioned, straight from freezer to humi.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:17 PM   #13
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I freeze everything. Residential freezers fluctuate in temp quite a bit and it takes time for the center of the box/cab to drop to desired temp, so I leave them in the freezer for a week or so (no refrigeration stage). From there, I leave them out long enough for the ice crystals on the packaging to thaw and vaporize, then into the huidors.

There are many ways to do it, I've found this works for me. Is it overkill, possibly, but I've never had an issue with beetles, nor have I detected or had a comment about the taste being affected.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #14
DEZn00ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I freeze everything. Residential freezers fluctuate in temp quite a bit and it takes time for the center of the box/cab to drop to desired temp, so I leave them in the freezer for a week or so (no refrigeration stage). From there, I leave them out long enough for the ice crystals on the packaging to thaw and vaporize, then into the huidors.

There are many ways to do it, I've found this works for me. Is it overkill, possibly, but I've never had an issue with beetles, nor have I detected or had a comment about the taste being affected.
Damn I tried to give you a rep up but I was passing em out willy nilly. Great input about the ice crystals, I think I will do that.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:57 PM   #15
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Is this the point where I can post my anti-establishment post and say you can heat the cigars up as well to kill beetles?

http://www.grains.k-state.edu/spirel...ubi_column.pdf
Old 05-14-2018, 10:39 PM   #16
DEZn00ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weelok View Post
Is this the point where I can post my anti-establishment post and say you can heat the cigars up as well to kill beetles?

http://www.grains.k-state.edu/spirel...ubi_column.pdf
Great little read you threw at me. also, I'm gonna have to try those Flor De Oliva's you suggested before. Gonna go look up the other Oliva products as well, I know they are a top brand. I just realized the Nub Macchiatto's I have in my favorites list are Oliva. Can't wait to try those suckers.

Last edited by DEZn00ts; 05-14-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:43 PM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I don't freeze anything, but I only buy Cuban. I will quarantine custom rolls, but supposedly Cuba has been freezing production cigars for quite some time. I do make sure the temps in my house never get above 70*F. And I've never had a beetle (knocks on wood).

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:47 PM   #18
DEZn00ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I don't freeze anything, but I only buy Cuban. I will quarantine custom rolls, but supposedly Cuba has been freezing production cigars for quite some time. I do make sure the temps in my house never get above 70*F. And I've never had a beetle (knocks on wood).
Well I got most of my information I had from a post you had in another forum so I will say thank you! Learned a lot about what temperatures, how long, percentage of beetles/larvae/eggs die from freezing.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:00 PM   #19
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Well I got most of my information I had from a post you had in another forum so I will say thank you! Learned a lot about what temperatures, how long, percentage of beetles/larvae/eggs die from freezing.
I definitely looked into the methods, and tried to help some guys along. Just stopped doing it myself years and years ago.

Maybe I've just been lucky, and will find this in the morning....

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:06 PM   #20
DEZn00ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I definitely looked into the methods, and tried to help some guys along. Just stopped doing it myself years and years ago.

Maybe I've just been lucky, and will find this in the morning....

Me and my wife were looking at that same image earlier... My heart sank and anxiety kicked in that's why I'm freezing my sticks now.