Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #2681
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplingh2o View Post
As a relative newb, I don't yet have an aged inventory of cigars. Seems as I get new cigars (like the Baccarat) I can't wait 30 days before trying it. I'm with Tom here, 15 minutes sounds about right.
I almost always try one from a box "Right Off The Truck (ROTT), Robb, sets a benchmark so I'll know if they're improving, or hitting a sick period, etc., as times goes by.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:44 PM   #2682
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
HailTheBrownLeaf is on a distinguished road

So I finally figured out how to retrohale yesterday (woohoo) but had yet to decipher any additional nuances and flavours from the stick I finally "got it" and learned with. It was a CAO Lx2 Toro

Now was I unable to pick up additional flavours from my stick through my nose because my pallet to begin with is still unrefined as a noob...and I've just just figured out retrohaling??? Like do I need to retrohale more to "train" my nose over time??

Also for what it's worth, I've smoke cigarettes (though am trying to quit) for 17 years so could that also be why no other flavours jumped out at me?? Like could my tastebuds be already too fried to the point that retrohaling a stick wouldn't make much of a difference for me??
HailTheBrownLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:57 PM   #2683
GrouchoM
The secret word is cigar!

First Name: GrouchoM
Punch
GrouchoM is on a distinguished road

Ok, sitting w two guys after hours drinking fine score and good cigars at my BnM. My bd present a day late, but I very drank some great scotch and whiskeys-one guys a distributor for Glenlivet. I'm having a ball. Smoking new cigars Flor de Las Antillas, San LaTano Oval and Alec Bradley Post embargo. BOTL is a culture.
GrouchoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #2684
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailTheBrownLeaf View Post

Also for what it's worth, I've smoke cigarettes (though am trying to quit) for 17 years so could that also be why no other flavours jumped out at me?? Like could my tastebuds be already too fried to the point that retrohaling a stick wouldn't make much of a difference for me??
No, I wouldn't say that your taste buds are fried. People are all different. Some can taste everything and pick up subtle flavors, others can't.

I fall in, the can't.

I mainly smoke at HERFS, about once a month, and I still only really pick up flavors that are more pronounced. I wish I could pick up on all the subtle flavors and be able to describe them, but I'm not really able too. I still fall under basic category's; eww, not bad, good, hella good, OMG this is really good and where can I get this
Old 11-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #2685
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
No, I wouldn't say that your taste buds are fried. People are all different. Some can taste everything and pick up subtle flavors, others can't.

I fall in, the can't.

I mainly smoke at HERFS, about once a month, and I still only really pick up flavors that are more pronounced. I wish I could pick up on all the subtle flavors and be able to describe them, but I'm not really able too. I still fall under basic category's; eww, not bad, good, hella good, OMG this is really good and where can I get this

Old 11-20-2016, 10:56 PM   #2686
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

How long do Bovedas generally last in a tupperdor before I should change them???

Basically I have two Spanish cedar trays stacked on top of each other in my 7 litre Klip-It tupperdor container with one 65% Boveda in each tray. My top tray is full of sticks and the bottom tray has 1 stick in it.

However my hygro hasn't been going anywhere over 58% RH for awhile even though I just added 6 more sticks from my local B&M to my top tray this past Friday.

Yet neither of my Bovedas feel dry or crunchy. What gives??

Also for what it's worth if this matters any, my tupperdor is inside a Coleman cooler with 3 of those refreezable ice block thingies to keep my cigar temperature between 67-72F according to my hygro since I live in an apartment with no A/C and our superintendent turned the heaters on for winter now. The ice blocks aren't touching my tupperdor though.

Should I switch to 69% Bovedas for awhile?? With winter coming soon I probably won't be smoking much now...if anything, until next spring as I smoke outside.

Last edited by HailTheBrownLeaf; 11-20-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #2687
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailTheBrownLeaf View Post
How long do Bovedas generally last in a tupperdor before I should change them???

Basically I have two Spanish cedar trays stacked on top of each other in my 7 litre Klip-It tupperdor container with one 65% Boveda in each tray. My top tray is full of sticks and the bottom tray has 1 stick in it.

However my hygro hasn't been going anywhere over 58% RH for awhile even though I just added 6 more sticks from my local B&M to my top tray this past Friday.

Yet neither of my Bovedas feel dry or crunchy. What gives??

Also for what it's worth if this matters any, my tupperdor is inside a Coleman cooler with 3 of those refreezable ice block thingies to keep my cigar temperature between 67-72F according to my hygro since I live in an apartment with no A/C and our superintendent turned the heaters on for winter now. The ice blocks aren't touching my tupperdor though.

Should I switch to 69% Bovedas for awhile?? With winter coming soon I probably won't be smoking much now...if anything, until next spring as I smoke outside.
That is your problem Ice packs will create condensate and that water has to come from somewhere. Maintaining a low temp is not necessary. Only constant temps above 70-72 could lead to a problem. Ditch those packs!
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #2688
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Also did you season the cedar trays?
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #2689
Ripplingh2o
MSG, U.S. Army Retired

First Name: Robb
Army (Retired)
Ripplingh2o is on a distinguished road

Now that winter has reared its ugly head, and our temps will begin to plummet to readings well below zero should my days of ordered sticks (being delivered via USPS or UPS) be halted? Even our RH hovers between 40-50 in the winter and the normal 5-7 days transient time concerns me.
Ripplingh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #2690
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
That is your problem Ice packs will create condensate and that water has to come from somewhere. Maintaining a low temp is not necessary. Only constant temps above 70-72 could lead to a problem. Ditch those packs!
Without the ice packs though, the temperature in my room where I store my sticks will hit over 80F easily.

That's why I bought the cooler and ice packs to try and cool everything down in the first place (as per the advice of another BOTL)....as we either don't have A/C in the summer, or our heaters are on in the winter.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #2691
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Also did you season the cedar trays?
Of course
Old 11-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #2692
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I've always been more concerned about RH than temperatures. Finished cigars sit in high temps alll the time during transport from the manufacturer with no or little problems.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #2693
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Now that winter has reared its ugly head, and our temps will begin to plummet to readings well below zero should my days of ordered sticks (being delivered via USPS or UPS) be halted? Even our RH hovers between 40-50 in the winter and the normal 5-7 days transient time concerns me.
Cigars are very resilient. They will be fine for 5-7 days.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #2694
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

Update on my potential conundrum: I'm thinking about either switching out my Bovedas to two other brand new 65% ones that I have here, or recalibrating my hygrometer if I have to.

Although I'm 99.9% sure my hygrometer is fine as I calibrated it with one of those Boveda calibration kits when I got it in August and all was well. And no my trays have been in my tupperdor since I seasoned them when I made this first tupperdor of mine back in August as well.

Hmmmm....
Old 11-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #2695
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

Update: Well I haven't switched out my now melted refreezable ice blocks (they are a few inches away from my tupperdor and not touching it, as usual...in my cooler) for my other frozen ones as I'm at like 69.5F right now.

My RH is now at 61% according to my hygrometer right now.

Hmm...
Old 12-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #2696
Ripplingh2o
MSG, U.S. Army Retired

Army (Retired)

Ok, back to the beginner questions thread...ordered my first box of cigars last week (Monte's crafted by AJ Fernandez), received them this afternoon. Now, do I open the sealed box and put them in my humi to rest for two weeks OR can they rest the two weeks in the original box (outside of the humi)? Room RH hovers in the low 50's. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #2697
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Ok, back to the beginner questions thread...ordered my first box of cigars last week (Monte's crafted by AJ Fernandez), received them this afternoon. Now, do I open the sealed box and put them in my humi to rest for two weeks OR can they rest the two weeks in the original box (outside of the humi)? Room RH hovers in the low 50's. Thanks.
Low 50s, while not ideal, will be fine for 2 weeks.
Putting them in your humidor at your preferred RH is even better.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #2698
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I will add just a little to what has already been stated which is don't worry about the cold for transport as it's short but here is my addition.

Many on this board will deep freeze cigars to ensure no tobacco beetle eggs survive and the cigars taste and smoke just fine. Consider sub-zero transport helping ensure your cigars are beetle free. I jest a bit on beetle free but I'm sure you can see that deep freezing has not harmed the avid collectors supply or they would be the first to complain.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #2699
Ripplingh2o
MSG, U.S. Army Retired

Army (Retired)

Thanks Dave & Peter for your insight and advice. Appreciate it.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #2700
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weelok View Post
I will add just a little to what has already been stated which is don't worry about the cold for transport as it's short but here is my addition.

Many on this board will deep freeze cigars to ensure no tobacco beetle eggs survive and the cigars taste and smoke just fine. Consider sub-zero transport helping ensure your cigars are beetle free. I jest a bit on beetle free but I'm sure you can see that deep freezing has not harmed the avid collectors supply or they would be the first to complain.
^^This