Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
badbriar

Default Joya De Nicaragua Dark Corojo

Review on the Azarosa Rothschilds (Short Robusto) 4.5 x 52. Very dark, rich, rustic looking stick with very nice construction. A fiver from FS produced rich cigars that were all packed the same - slightly under filled and definitely not on the firm side. I was a bit concerned about this, but it proved not to be an issue at all. Draw was perfect and burn was good throughout the stick, with a couple of minor touch-ups. Pre-light aroma was deep with strong dark tobacco aromas and a bit of horse stall thrown in for good measure - a man's cigar! My wife took a whiff and exclaimed flaly that something is wrong with anyone that would have anything in their mouth that smelled that bad. Not to take this flawed line of reasoning further, back to the review... Torching took a while, but once lit, the cigar burned well without re-lights. Flavors were awesome with savory notes, saltiness, leather, dark tobacco and something like the aroma of burning oak. A lot going on and creamy, smooth, powerful flavors abounding. I paired this with a single barrel bourbon, neat, with the despised whiskey stone and the cigar stood up to the spirits well. Flavor morphed throughout the entire short stick and ended well with toasty leather, wood and earthiness. The campfire oak never really left, nor did the savory element but did become more subtle and more into the background. This is one of the best cigars that I've had, due to the good flavor that stays right to the end. Highly recommended - particularly this shorter size. Smoking time... An unbelievable hour!
RR
Old 03-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Joya De Nicaragua Dark Corojo

Nice review, those are strong smokes
Old 03-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
ripper
Busy doing nothing

First Name: Bart
Trading: (12)
Cohiba
ripper will become famous soon enough

Good review, Rob.
The El Martillo 5.5 x 54 shape is my go-to smoke. Love the looks from folks when they get a whiff of the Dark Corojo. That wrapper is superb.
I like the box, too. Sturdy and clean.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Nice review of a tasty smoke!
Old 03-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

Great review. Those are really good smokes! I also like the rothschilds/short robusto vitola.

This and the Antano 1970 Consul are two of my favorite very full bodies smokes.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

I just had my last one of those yesterday. Agreed very tasty well balanced smoke.