Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about
Default Liga Privada Unico Serie Feral Flying Pig

Today's cigar for review is the next installment from Drew Estate in the Flying Pig line. The Feral Flying Pig is a departure in size from the previous two pig releases (the Flying Pig #9 and the Flying Pig T52) and is quite a bit bigger. As well as the size being different, Jonathan Drew has posted online that it is a completely different blend than the other releases and that it is significantly stronger. Steve Saka (President of Of Drew Estate) has also been quoted saying this is the best Flying Pig release yet.

In this video that we did back in June of 2011 Jonathan speaks briefly about the stick (at the 6:58 mark)

http://vimeo.com/26202453

I'd heard a lot of hype for this stick for the last few months, so I was excited to finally get my hands on some because, currently, they don't seem to easy to come by. Now, on to the review...

Vitola: Big flying pig
Length: 5.375
Ring Gauge: 60 (at it's fattest point)
Wrapper: Connecticut broadleaf
Binder: Brazilian Mata Fina
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $17 and some change in Ohio
Smoking Location: New Havana Cigars
Beverage: Water

Pre-Light
First off, I want to say that the Feral Pig was a hefty cigar to hold in my hand. Not that the length or ring gauge felt overly beefy, but the weight was significant. There was a lot of thick tobacco rolled into this and I could tell. The wrapper was a very dark brown almost black coffee color with a few small veins, but nothing too ugly. For broadleaf, I'd say it was a pretty good looking leaf. The cigar feels expertly rolled and was finished off with the signature pig tail cap. The pre-lit aroma had what I would now consider the classic Liga Privada smell, consisting of a lot of sweetness, mixed in with floral notes. The cold draw was nice and free (more on that in a second) and tasted raw sweetness and orange peel. I mention the draw again because what I find very interesting and distinct about these sticks is you don't actually have to clip them to get a draw. You just tear the pig tail off the head of the cigar and you're good to go. That simple removal of the pigtail creates the prefect amount of air flow to get full puffs of smoke out of it. Nice fun feature.

First Third
Lighting up this stick was very simple and the first few puffs on my Feral Flying Pig created a lot of flavors. On the front I tasted and felt a peppery warm spice coat parts of my palate as well as some espresso bitter bite. The finish of each puffs had tons of floral flavors and, even more noticeably, out the nose. At this point in the cigar, I'd say this was easily as complex as anything I have had in the Liga Privada line. The cigar put off a ton of resting smoke and burned at a very slow pace. The construction was excellent and even though the burn was a little wavy, I did not have to touch it up with my lighter. The strength was in the upper medium to lower full range.

Second Third
The second third of my Feral Flying Pig really really ramped up in strength. Just a few puffs into this part of my cigar I could already start to feel my heart beat pick up and my head get a little dizzy. I slowed my smoking rate down and that took care of any woozy feelings. During this part, the flavors seemed to back off a bit and most of the peppery spice and floral notes had died away. The main flavor now both on the front and the finish was the bitter espresso from the first third. I say bitter, but it was a nice bitter and not a bad flavor. It's also worth mentioning that the finish was very dry and left my mouth feeling dry but not dirty. Again the construction was excellent and the burn had no issues. The ash was also something worth noting because, as you can see in the photos, it held on all the way to the final third.

Final Third and Final Thoughts
Getting to the end of my Feral Flying Pig saw some of that complexity from the first third start to pick up again. I started getting more spice on the front of each puff, which created a more balanced flavor with the espresso. I was really enjoying this stick again at this point, but I was also only drawing on the stick maybe once every five minutes. By this time my body was full up with nicotine and, while it wasn't overly uncomfortable or sickening in anyway, I knew not to push my limits. I smoked it to the nub and it never got hot or had any burn issues.

My final thoughts on the Liga Privada Unico Serie Feral Flying Pig?
This cigar delivers exactly what is advertised when it comes to strength. This is not one for the light weights or even the medium strength smokers. I think it's the strongest thing I've ever had from Drew Estate. The the complexity of the first third was very impressive and the fact that it started to return at the end made for a very enjoyable start and finish to the smoking experience. I do think the cigar fell a little flat in the middle of the stick, but maybe with a bit of time that will change. Does it take the place of the Dirty Rat as my favorite Drew Estate cigar? No and it's a completely different type of cigar...but I would say it's now second on the list for me.

Would I buy it again? If I can find more I will pick some up.

Would I buy a box? I'd be up for a split with someone.

for more pictures please visit http://tinyurl.com/6lwvauz

Dan
Old 01-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Liga Privada Unico Serie Feral Flying Pig

Thanks for another great review Dan!!!

Wish I could find some!!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Another fine review Dan.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Excellent review Dan. I just smoked one myself this afternoon and agree on all points. I unfortunately smoked mine faster and while I didn't get sick, I know now to slow down my pace with these.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

I too loved the one I had
Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
whodeeni

Great review Dan! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about

thanks for reading and the comments guys. This is a power house of a cigar for sure.

Dan
Old 01-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
goomer

Nice review. I may have to look for some the next time I'm in Tucson (the nearest, decent, B&M).
Old 01-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (17)
Digs will become famous soon enough

Dan great review, I hope someday to find one to try

I have asked at few B&M's & my shop I visit the most (CI) and they all chuckle at me.

A gun in your hand is better then a cop on the phone
Digs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Just smoked my first one tonight...these are EXCELLENT sticks. Box worthy for sure!!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Great job Dan!! Got to try and find some of these
Old 01-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
TNT009

I got one of three boxes today.. Cant wait til tomorrow night!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

Great review Dan! I am lucky to have grabbed a couple of these...not sure when I will actually light one up but your review makes me want to for sure!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
proguy747
Hey hurry up!

First Name: Marc
Trading: (1)
proguy747 is on a distinguished road

great review. These thing are good but way to fresh for my liking. These things need some age.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #15
hapi
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Hapisan
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
hapi is on a distinguished road

This very strong cigar ... have headack for 2 days. Becarful if not use to strong cigars.
hapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #16
LigaPrivadaT84

Thanks for the review.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #17
manny

I got on. Thanks to my friend Tim at Cuban Crafters. I cant wait to light uo that lil piggy....
Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
Bageland2000
On another adventure

First Name: Andrew
RyJ Army (Active)
Bageland2000 is on a distinguished road

GREAT review. Wish I could find one...
Old 01-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #19
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny View Post
I got on. Thanks to my friend Tim at Cuban Crafters. I cant wait to light uo that lil piggy....