Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
AmsterDan
Ischn't dat Wiert?!

Trading: (0)
AmsterDan is on a distinguished road
Default CAO - MX2 - Robusto

Brand: CAO
Name: MX2
Size: Robusto 5 x 52
Origin: Honduras
Wrapper: Connecticut (Maduro)
Binder: Brazil (Maduro)
Filler: Nicaragua, Honduras, Dominican Rep. & Peru

The Look, Touch and Smell
This cigar truly lives its name … Double Maduro. Very dark, a tight oily wrapper and no soft or hard spots. It’s a beast to see, especially with the fat band around its neck. The smell is of heavy dark soils.

Look at that thing!

Cut & Light
No problems cutting and lighting. Because of the MX2’s appearance, I had expected a beating to the head after the first couple of puffs. If you’re a softy like myself … not to worry; the spice is very modest and the light cedar wood tones are suitable. There is a dry soil flavour accompanied by some sweetness. Already, this early! Having said that, I do not find the flavours to be ‘one’ yet. They are not harsh but not smooth either.

At the halfway point, all flavours turn darker and the sweetness turns into a typical maduro palate. Raisins might be the right word. This combines with the earlier named cedar wood tones and becomes creamy. This holds for a while until the ends is nearing. A certain bitterness comes forward. This is just like the spice, very suitable for the smoke itself but they do not entirely fit my ‘enjoymental palate’. I have to stay unbiased, so I respect the palate for what it is for those who appreciate a bitterness.

Conclusion
A tough cigar to see and to be seen. The ash is dark grey with little black chunks and holds about 1.25 Inches. The draw is fine and there is lots of smoke. Looking at the burn from the halfway point on … cross eyed situation and needed to correct a couple of times. The flavours were enjoyable cedar wood, soil and typical maduro sweetness with a suitable spice and bitterness. If this is your kinda palate, you definitely should try this beast of a cigar ... sometime soon!

Last edited by AmsterDan; 06-16-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Caption to picture.
AmsterDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: CAO - MX2 - Robusto

Thanks Dan, I have 2 sitting in the vino getting some age...
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
AmsterDan
Ischn't dat Wiert?!

That is great. The one I smoked did not have any aging really, but it would definitely be interesting to see how one comes out aged. By all means bud, post your findings in this post later on once you have smoked it! The more complete information the better.

Has anyone else smoked the MX2? If so, did you taste the bitterness as well and did you like it?
Old 06-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Duke9192

These smokes are awesome with a year + of age on them.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

I found them to be surprisingly light bodied for a maduro, but about the same flavor profile wise. Great stick
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

These are good...but the MX3s are sooo much better.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
These are good...but the MX3s are sooo much better.
Well, duh, its 3 times the maduro in the MX3s, only twice the maduro in the MX2s.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

They have been one of my favorites since I bought my first box of them 4 or 5 years ago. That box is gone, but I still buy the MX2 on a regular basis.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
Well, duh, its 3 times the maduro in the MX3s, only twice the maduro in the MX2s.
The MX2 and the MX3 taste nothing alike. The MX3 tastes completely different. And yes, while it is 3X the maduro goodness...the MX2 doesn't even compare when it comes to flavor. And with some rest on the MX3s...
Old 06-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
AmsterDan
Ischn't dat Wiert?!

Thanks for the input dudes and dudettes! From what I read over and over again is that the MX2 and MX3 get better over time, with about a year of aging. See, this has changed my mind a little and wouldn't mind purchasing three or four of the MX2, and MX3 for that matter, and try them again later. Great!
Old 06-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
I found them to be surprisingly light bodied for a maduro, but about the same flavor profile wise. Great stick
Maduro leaf is not strong, it's naturally sweet. The blend makes a cigar strong, not the wrapper.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

These are decent smokes. I think I prefer the Black and VR, though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
Duke9192

I have to agree the MX2 is a good stick but the MX3 is just AWESOME!!!!
If you can lay your hands on either of these two cigars, I recommend that you do so.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

But where to get the MX3???
Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #15
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Great review. I have one sitting in my humi waiting to be smoked.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #16
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
But where to get the MX3???
WC Drapers in DC. PM me for details Larry.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #17
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

I'm always so tempted by these when they hit the deal sites. Don't know why I haven't pulled the trigger yet, seems like I should.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #18
zman

Just ordered some. Thanks for the reviews. You made my choice for me. Will try one and let the rest sit for a while.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #19
w squared

I agree with the OP's review. I found the MX2 (I smoked the Toro) to have a strong (but pleasant) pepper not throughout the first third, and I also found that it picked up the raisin notes as the smoke progressed.

On the strength of the Toro, I bought half a box of the box press. I've only smoked one, and it was so tight that I was only able to smoke the first half of it...just exhausting. I'm hoping that the rest of the box won't share this isssue.