Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice
Default EO Cubao No. 3

Got this stick from coastietech in the NST.

Humidor time: 3 weeks

Prelight: Well constructed, with minimal veins. Prelight draw was easy, tasting of cedar and oak.

Burn: The burn was straight. Ash was solid and held on well. Draw was easy, but not loose. The burn time was about an hour.

Flavor: After the first few puffs, I thought to myself, "This doesn't seem to have the trademark Pepin spi-SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!!!" The spice kicked in, and hardcore. It was a bit overwhelming at first (and this was on a full stomach), but settled down after a half-inch or so into a nice creamy smoke that delivered on the prelight flavors, with a nice spice kick on the finish. Also once the spice throttled back, I got a nice coffee flavor that came and went.

Summary: Another tasty smoke from DPG. Other than the harsh spice kick to start, the flavors were excellent.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:47 AM   #2
Veritas
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Gregory
Trading: (1)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Veritas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EO Cubao No. 3

One of my favorites.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:58 AM   #3
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Had The Nat Cubao But Not The Maddie. Any Differences? Great Review, Bro!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:13 AM   #4
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Had The Nat Cubao But Not The Maddie. Any Differences? Great Review, Bro!
Try out the maduro. The wrapper subdues the spicyness a little and adds some sweetness.

Great review on a tasty smoke
Old 10-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

This sounds great, thanks for the review. I've been eyeing these.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
coastietech

I really like these and the Maduro version. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Try out the maduro. The wrapper subdues the spicyness a little and adds some sweetness.

Great review on a tasty smoke
Thanks, Christos, Will Do!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

I usually smoke toros and robustos, but I'm getting a new appreciation for thinner RGs lately.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
I usually smoke toros and robustos, but I'm getting a new appreciation for thinner RGs lately.
Posted via Mobile Device
They "Look" Cool, Too!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
They "Look" Cool, Too!
I'm always worried about breaking them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
Blindjimme
Judgement Impaired

First Name: JB
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Blindjimme will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm always worried about breaking them.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm with ya. I'm really liking Lancero's, but in my big hands they feel very fragile to me. Taste is awesome though.
Blindjimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road

Love the Cubao.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

I picked up a natural and a maduro last night after reading your review. I'm giving them some rest and then am looking forward to firing them up. I've had my eye on them for awhile. Thanks for the review.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
Kreth
Ronin smoker

I'll have to try the maddie now. I'm a maddie ho anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #15
njstone

Quote:
After the first few puffs, I thought to myself, "This doesn't seem to have the trademark Pepin spi-SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!!!"

Okay, I just laughed my butt off, lol. That was great, particularly because that was my experience with the Cubao as well, lol. They're really great sticks, especially with some age. After a year they don't seem to lose all that much of the spice, but the other flavors really come out (caramel, etc.). Good stuff. Thanks for the review!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #16
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by njstone View Post
Okay, I just laughed my butt off, lol. That was great, particularly because that was my experience with the Cubao as well, lol. They're really great sticks, especially with some age. After a year they don't seem to lose all that much of the spice, but the other flavors really come out (caramel, etc.). Good stuff. Thanks for the review!
Now that I know I like them, I think I'll need to get some to stash. I bet the JJs are amazing with some age on them, too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #17
duckmanco
Can't stop whats coming

Location: that forsaken stretch of wood they call Whiskey Grove
Trading: (10)
duckmanco is on a distinguished road

I tried the maduro #4 today (roth size) which is what I smoke most in the EcSu wrapped blend.

Smoke was, as always, perfectly constructed, perfect draw/burn. Prelight draw was MOCHA, I mean pungent smack you in the face dark mocha, not a note, or hint, but definitive. Needless to say I thought a box purchase was soon to be made, but the flavor........ it seemed harsher on the back of the throat, maybe slightly sweeter, not nearly as creamy mouth feel wise as the original. Overall, I'm not seeking out anymore of these, as my boxes of the original blend will do just fine. I wanted to love it also, but it just didn't do it. The EcSu blend just tastes more exciting IMO.

And to add, humidity was at 65% and the stick had settled in my humi for 3 weeks easy.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #18
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Thanks for the comparison. I'll probably still give the maddie a try. This stick had that harsh, pepper feeling in the back of my throat at first (I went through half a pint glass of water in that first half inch), but was very creamy once it settled down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #19
njstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
I tried the maduro #4 today (roth size) which is what I smoke most in the EcSu wrapped blend.

Smoke was, as always, perfectly constructed, perfect draw/burn. Prelight draw was MOCHA, I mean pungent smack you in the face dark mocha, not a note, or hint, but definitive. Needless to say I thought a box purchase was soon to be made, but the flavor........ it seemed harsher on the back of the throat, maybe slightly sweeter, not nearly as creamy mouth feel wise as the original. Overall, I'm not seeking out anymore of these, as my boxes of the original blend will do just fine. I wanted to love it also, but it just didn't do it. The EcSu blend just tastes more exciting IMO.

And to add, humidity was at 65% and the stick had settled in my humi for 3 weeks easy.
That "back of the throat" thing will go away as the cigar ages. Good to know that about these, though, I hate that too. But the "sweeter" means these are still on my must try list!