Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 AM   #21
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Turkish Coffee - Legal Drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziq View Post
Thanks Dan and Moses for the additional info and discussion on cardamon. I'm hitting my local middle eastern market today to pick up an ibrik and will give this a shot!
Please permit a weird aside here in ibrik/cezve world: GermantownRob sent me a very sporty little Bialetti Eleganz stainless steel mokapot. It makes great tasting moka, no fuss, every time. However, to save my life I cannot get this pot to generate anything more that the flimsiest, tiniest bit of crema atop the brew. Using the same coffee and best procedures I always have heaps of crema with my old Bialetti Moka Express (aluminum) pots.

I have one cezve and it is made of 18-10 stainless. It will generate froth once (on the first boil) and then no more. The froth from the first boil, BTW, is weak and it barely holds together well enough to spoon out into a cup.

A fine point here - or maybe no point at all. A traditional cezve is brass or copper with a silvered tin lining (so the internet for-sale captions claim). Those I have seen in restaurants are always of this type. Besides being made of traditional material they are also pretty "used" looking, i.e., they appear oil-covered or well scorched on the outside and, particularly so, on the inside neck. I suspect keeping froth involves a "well-oiled" machine and that stainless might be something to avoid.

Anyone around with more experience who can comment on how to build and keep foam atop the coffee on 2nd, 3rd or even (the most traditional) 4th boil? Do we have any Turks here? And native Balkan types with coffee background? Hello?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #22
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Thanks Dan and Moses for the additional info and discussion on cardamon. I'm hitting my local middle eastern market today to pick up an ibrik and will give this a shot!

The cardamon pods are good to have around. Some use them like mints for fresh breathe, and also is nice to drop one into drip coffee. I use them in rice and all sorts of food.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #23
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Show us your turkish coffee!

Mmmm. Tonights after-dinner sip.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #24
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Love the Turkish coffee as an occasional treat. One of my old neighbors was from Turkey and used to make it for me on a regular basis. Need to make some up again soon.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:08 AM   #25
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvarsity View Post
Love the Turkish coffee as an occasional treat. One of my old neighbors was from Turkey and used to make it for me on a regular basis. Need to make some up again soon.
It would be nice to have a Turk next door.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #26
Mister Moo

Quote:
Sounds real nice, Dan, and the times I've had coffee prepared this way in Mediterranean joints it's always been a treat. Got any good sources for nice pots?
I can't say this is the deal of deals but, if you want the heavier brass (instead of tinned copper), see http://www.natashascafe.com/html/turkish.html. Copper heats up faster - brass is more durable. There are some vague claims here and there about brass being safer to use than copper.

Natasha offers reasonably priced gift sets (coffee, ibrik and demitasse cups), brass ibriks in all sizes and, at a discount, scratched or dented ibriks not suitable for gift sets. I have a couple on the way; I let you know if they are the real deal or not.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #27
muziq
Local Artard

Trading: (4)
ERdM Army (Served With Honor)
muziq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
I can't say this is the deal of deals but, if you want the heavier brass (instead of tinned copper), see http://www.natashascafe.com/html/turkish.html. Copper heats up faster - brass is more durable. There are some vague claims here and there about brass being safer to use than copper.

Natasha offers reasonably priced gift sets (coffee, ibrik and demitasse cups), brass ibriks in all sizes and, at a discount, scratched or dented ibriks not suitable for gift sets. I have a couple on the way; I let you know if they are the real deal or not.

Sounds good; I'm going to go with the nice copper ones at Sweet Maria: http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.brewers.ibrik.shtml Something about copper appeals to me. We'll have to do a threat-down on copper vs. brass

So, in looking at the Zass turkish mills, I'm thinking having one of those around might be a nice way to get the fresh cardamon into the mix without fouling my Rocky. The turkish Zass mills at both SM and Natashas are *not* cheap...I may have a go around here for something less expensive.

Pretty soon, I may have more coffee gadgetry than cigar gadgetry
Old 01-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #28
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
So, in looking at the Zass turkish mills, I'm thinking having one of those around might be a nice way to get the fresh cardamon into the mix without fouling my Rocky.
A mortar and pestle is a lot cheaper to grind cardamon...
Old 01-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #29
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Got that right - unless the boy just wants a Zass (which is not a bad thing). Zass. Mortar/pestle. Or ground spice from a McCormick jar.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #30
Mister Moo

Quote:
/prod.brewers.ibrik.shtml[/url] Something about copper appeals to me. We'll have to do a threat-down on copper vs. brass
If you're going all-in on turkish I feel an ibrik exchange (or maybe even an ibrik pass) coming on.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #31
muziq
Local Artard

Quote:
If you're going all-in on turkish I feel an ibrik exchange (or maybe even an ibrik pass) coming on.
That is a distinct possibility, Moo
Old 01-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #32
muziq
Local Artard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Good suggestion! A Zass would be fun, but cheap is what I'm aiming for here until I know this is something I want to prepare at regular intervals at home. Some of those Zass mills are triple the price of even nice copper ibriks
Old 01-31-2009, 03:42 PM   #33
perogee
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Robert
Trading: (7)
perogee is on a distinguished road

will have to adjust sweetness for my tastes, but Lordy this is a tasty brew (and stainless is not ideal at all, no foam for me ). Overall though, good first experience.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #34
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by perogee View Post
will have to adjust sweetness for my tastes, but Lordy this is a tasty brew (and stainless is not ideal at all, no foam for me ). Overall though, good first experience.
A word on that. I have read more and made some (foam related) adjustments:

1) make the water fill in the cezve up into the narrow part of neck; that is most practical, of course, only when you have a set of pots of different sizes.

2) don't stir the coffee into the water. Add the sugar to the water and flop the coffee grounds in and let it sit on top. the repeat boiling will wet the grounds and foam them better than if you stir it all up before boiling.

It looks like the genuine turkish gig may involve coordinating the water and grounds to end up in the narrow of the neck with whatever pot you use.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #35
muziq
Local Artard

Update--my ibrik landed earlier this week and I've made up a few brews. So far, they're turning out pretty tasty, but I haven't gotten the heating procedure down just yet, and am not getting quite the crema I desire. I will say the flavor is certainly excellent, thought, and the fresh ground cardamom is a real game-changer. What's more, it all goes smashingly with a VR Classicos first thing on an overcast, blustery morning.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:21 AM   #36
mi2az

First Time I had Turkish coffee was in Israel about 10 years ago. Loved it ever since.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #37
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
First Time I had Turkish coffee was in Israel about 10 years ago. Loved it ever since.
First taste of turkish coffee imprinted on my brain forever. Loved it ever since, too. I regret it took me so long to get around to making it at home. Lately I've been enjoying it several times/week. It is, by far, my favorite form of black coffee.

Here's to us - Marty, Moo and Muz...

Nice to see folks having a try. I feel a turkish pass coming up after the AeroPress gets back to me.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #38
muziq
Local Artard

Okay, some pics from my most recent Turkish coffee prep.

First, a nice shot of the equipment: fresh-ground coffee, powder-like, from the Rocky; a new salt grinder adapted for grinding fresh cardamon; and the nice painted copper ibrik from Sweet Maria (this is the 12 oz model)

Next, a shot of the first boil...I'm not great at the crema yet, but Moo's suggestion of just dropping the coffee on top instead of mixing it in has produced more crema than I experienced when I mixed it in or agitated it

Right after the third boil...that crema is thinner, but still sticking around a little...

Ready to drink. This particular batch was extra yummy, as I found my preferred balance between coffee, sugar, and cardamon.

I'm still learning how to do this right, and it's a lot of fun...not to mention that the fiance is excited to have a fourth way to prepare coffee in the morning
Old 02-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #39
Mister Moo

Quote:
Okay, some pics from my most recent Turkish coffee prep.

I'm still learning how to do this right, and it's a lot of fun.
Looks like you have arrived, Aziz.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #40
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

I love reviving an old thread that's well worth reviving...

Quote:

Dan, thanks for the excellent web page...

Quote:
Okay, some pics from my most recent Turkish coffee prep. I'm still learning how to do this right, and it's a lot of fun...
Muz, great photo's and hope your new hobby is still a brewing...