Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough
Default The Dude reviews: Ave Maria Claremont

A while back I posted a thread asking if anyone had any insight on the Ave Maria brand. Porch Dweller (James) graciously offered to send me a couple to try before I made any major purchases. Well, I smoked one last night and here's a little review for your reading pleasure.

Ave Maria Clermont
5.5 x 45 (corona)
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan

To start, this is a nice looking cigar! The wrapper is a blemish free, medium brown color. Silky smooth to the touch and a semi-firm but even pack. Tight, nearly invisible seams and a really awesome looking band. I'm a bit of a band collector and these will make a nice addition to my collection. Of course, I give this nice description and completely forgot to snap a pre-light pic of the smoke...

Pre-light aroma is tobacco and hay. I used a straight cut and the pre-light draw is spot on giving a flavor of light dry wood.

First draw off the light produces a HUGE pepper rush that quickly transitions to a medium bodied nutty flavor on the rapidly fading finish. The following few draws produce a solid tobacco core with more of the pepper (not as potent though) as well as some nuts and leather. Finish is still rather short.

10 minutes: 1/2 inch down and the burn is just a little uneven. Other than that this cigar is smoking beautifully. Draw is perfect and it's producing a ton of smoke. Seriously, this rivals some of the Drew Estate sticks on smoke output. Flavors remain mostly the same, just the pepper has finally faded.

20 minutes: Start of the 2/3. The burn has evened out just fine and the ash is holding on strong. Flavors have shifted to a more creamy texture. The pepper has returned slightly and I'm picking up more leather on the finish. Smoooooth smoking cigar.

30 minutes: Removed the ginormous band to keep it from getting scorched. Ash dropped shortly after the start of the 2/3. About an inch and a quarter total. Flavors and construction remain largely the same.

40 minutes: Still working on 2/3. The burn has slowed down quite a bit at this point and I'm not smoking it and differently than I did to begin with. Beginning to pick up a caramel note on the draw but it fades quickly.

50 minutes: I heard a loud snap/crack sound and noticed a good sized split on the wrapper. Not entirely sure what caused it. Either removing the band or the drop in the outside temperature. Whatever the cause, it doesn't appear that it will affect the burn of the cigar, which is still perfect. The caramel note is gone and has been replaced by a deep, rich tobacco. Strength has ramped up quite a bit and I'm getting a little light headed. Began the final 1/3 shortly after the wrapper crack.

Crack:

Final 1/3:

70 minutes: Finished with about an inch left. It's still smoking cool, but by this point any and all flavor complexity is gone. Just straight tobacco that coats the palate now.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable smoke. While it doesn't have the most complex flavors out there, the perfect construction makes this a cigar that you can kick back and enjoy without having to give it much thought.

Last edited by Dude Here; 01-19-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Oops, mis-spelled "Clermont"
Dude Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Big Perm
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Big Perm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Dude reviews: Ave Maria Claremont

Cool review, the timeline photos really help you follow the smoke, thanks Dude
Big Perm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

Nice review Steve
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
Xolotal Mungin
bon vivant

First Name: Xolotal
Trading: (0)
Xolotal Mungin is on a distinguished road

Was wondering about these. Nice review and pics.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Nice review!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Nice to see our thoughts on this cigar where almost on the money in comparison. I also had my wrapper crack (I dropped my cigar). Pics where a great addition.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:05 AM   #7
thecatch83

I see these blasted on my email spam account all the time from cigar.com, I guess they can't give them away? Might be worth a look....nice review!
Old 01-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #8
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

great review... I bought some of these, but have been letting them rest before lighting. Might break one out this week.
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:53 AM   #9
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch83 View Post
I see these blasted on my email spam account all the time from cigar.com, I guess they can't give them away? Might be worth a look....nice review!
They have boxes of them all the time on the Devil Site, too.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Great review pics help a lot
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Gotta love the band!!!