Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #21
TRicker

Default Re: Xikar Vs Palio

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
oh boy, here we go again!

I own both, bought my xikar first and used it for several months. loved it! the only problem was that I didnt like the little hump it left where the blades met.

I havent used it once since I bought my palio... the thing is like a lazer.

I used a friends brand new xikar the other day, and now I remember why mine is collecting dust in my golf bag

Xikar for looks, palio for cuts
A Friends!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #22
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRicker View Post
A Friends!!!
Did you lose your Palio again?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #23
TRicker

Nah its my work cutter, was getting pretty bad so I swapped it out at Azon. Moe got to make the second cut with it.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #24
Waynegro1

Oh NO, it's starting.
I have both and love both. That's just the way I roll.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #25
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Who needs a cigar cutter when you can cut the thing with your swiss army blade? Seriously, I have a Palio I never use and have had punches, Havanas, Xikars etc. A small blade like this beats them all.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #26
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Have never really liked my palio. It's almost always left a rough cut. Since there aren't too many authorized retailers, I'm stuck sending it in to one on my dime. Just haven't been in a rush to do so as having to pay for shipping for something that's never really been right doesn't exactly light a fire under my butt to get it done. My old club stogie single blade nearly always gives a superior cut to my palio.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #27
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
Have never really liked my palio. It's almost always left a rough cut. Since there aren't too many authorized retailers, I'm stuck sending it in to one on my dime. Just haven't been in a rush to do so as having to pay for shipping for something that's never really been right doesn't exactly light a fire under my butt to get it done. My old club stogie single blade nearly always gives a superior cut to my palio.
I had similar issues until I was counseled by a wise FOG.

Make sure you pay attention to your cut. Apply sliight downward pressure toward the head of the cigar for a razor sharp cut.

I had the same issue you did David. The rough cut I was getting was due to pulling away from the cigar as the cut was being made.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #28
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

To each his own... I had a Palio and sent it to a BOTL. It just didn't fit my big fat fingers I guess. I love my couple of Xikars!!! They work great for me every time.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #29
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Don't own a Palio, but I have used one a few times so I can compare them. The Palio does make a good cut but it feels cheap.

The "ridge"...NCRadioMan told me how to use the Xikar properly, haven't had a "ridge" since that PM. And it looks cool as hell in blue aluminum.

rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #30
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
Don't own a Palio, but I have used one a few times so I can compare them. The Palio does make a good cut but it feels cheap.

The "ridge"...NCRadioMan told me how to use the Xikar properly, haven't had a "ridge" since that PM. And it looks cool as hell in blue aluminum.

For us Xikar owners, please let us in on the secret....

How do you avoid a ridge?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #31
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I had similar issues until I was counseled by a wise FOG.

Make sure you pay attention to your cut. Apply sliight downward pressure toward the head of the cigar for a razor sharp cut.

I had the same issue you did David. The rough cut I was getting was due to pulling away from the cigar as the cut was being made.
I'll pay attention next time, but I've used a few others' palios and they cut MUCH better than mine.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #32
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

I have both. The Palio cuts better. It's my go-to.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #33
TravelingJ

Quote:
Could you elaborate? I have a friend that just bought a Xikar, and I'd like to give him the word on how to avoid what I hated about the Xikar.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #34
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
For us Xikar owners, please let us in on the secret....

How do you avoid a ridge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
Could you elaborate? I have a friend that just bought a Xikar, and I'd like to give him the word on how to avoid what I hated about the Xikar.
I'll try to tell you how Greg tried to tell me...
What you do is apply just a little pressure onto the head of the cigar as you start your cut and maintain that pressure as you make the cut. It doesn't take a lot, yet it is hard to tell you exactly how. After a couple of clips you'll have it though. A perferct cut with no more ridges.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #35
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'll try to tell you how Greg tried to tell me...
What you do is apply just a little pressure onto the head of the cigar as you start your cut and maintain that pressure as you make the cut. It doesn't take a lot, yet it is hard to tell you exactly how. After a couple of clips you'll have it though. A perferct cut with no more ridges.
Yep, that's the ticket! Just push down through the cigar slightly when you cut. It takes a few cigars to get the feel of it but it will eliminate the ridge. The Palio cut works the same way.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #36
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Yep, that's the ticket! Just push down through the cigar slightly when you cut. It takes a few cigars to get the feel of it but it will eliminate the ridge. The Palio cut works the same way.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #37
FretSpot
Ronshumidor.com

First Name: Donovan
Trading: (25)
Bolivar
FretSpot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Any chance someone can post a pic? I have the same problem with my Palio, but reading this description isn't making much sense to me (my wife will tell you that I'm not very bright).
FretSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #38
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FretSpot View Post
Any chance someone can post a pic? I have the same problem with my Palio, but reading this description isn't making much sense to me (my wife will tell you that I'm not very bright).
A picture won't help much.

When you finish cutting your cigar, you pull the cutter away from the stick. If you pull away even slightly before the cut is complete, the cut will be rough. To combat this, apply gentle pressure with the cutter toward the foot. Or to think of it another way, while cutting, gently try and push the cigar thru the opening in the cutter. (Note: you don't actually want to push the cigar thru. I am just trying to illustrate what you need to do.)

Also, you can sacrifice a dog rocket or bundled smoke to practice cutting on. a 5" or 6" smoke will give you lots of practice cuts.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #39
mrreindeer

This definitely helps me; thanks guys...I was wondering about that and I can't wait to try it.

Also wondering what's so bad about the ridge anyway?

I was always a fan of their wine: http://www.ridgewine.com/

Old 03-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #40
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Thanks guys I can't wait to try it out.