Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough
Default It's a sad day. . .

As some of you who know I am a mod at another forum we all used to call home and while I do not post as much on here, I usually browse and do a lot more reading.

Today, one of the mods and a guy I consider a friend had to step down as he no longer wanted to be caught in the middle. I don't blame him for making the decision, it is really difficult when it feels like you are on opposite sides of the table from people you consider to be friends.

Then, I find out one of the nicest people you would ever meet was actually threatened. A guy who has sent at least 200 people fiver finger bags through numerous group buys he has taken the time to set up. Just the thought of people giving him negative comments disgusts me. I even logged onto here today to see someone left me a neg comment. I believe in the 2+ years I have been on cigar forums, it was only my second neg comment.

It is very sad for me that as of right now, I would rather send someone a pm through facebook than through a cigar forum. It almost brings tears to my eyes.

I understand people are still very upset with what happened and I don't blame them, but we all have one thing in common, we love this hobby/passion. We are all cigar and pipe smokers, we should not be enemies.

As I sit outside smoking a cigar while writing this on my phone, I really do not know what to do or say. It is a troubling time for many people for many different reasons outside of which cigar forum is better. I am normally a very private person and do not post things like this, but I tend to get a little emotional when I smoke cigars (must be due to the nicotine).

Thank you for reading
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation
Default Re: It's a sad day. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#2 View Post
As some of you who know I am a mod at another forum we all used to call home and while I do not post as much on here, I usually browse and do a lot more reading.

Today, one of the mods and a guy I consider a friend had to step down as he no longer wanted to be caught in the middle. I don't blame him for making the decision, it is really difficult when it feels like you are on opposite sides of the table from people you consider to be friends.

Then, I find out one of the nicest people you would ever meet was actually threatened. A guy who has sent at least 200 people fiver finger bags through numerous group buys he has taken the time to set up. Just the thought of people giving him negative comments disguses me. I even logged onto here today to see someone left me a neg comment. I believe in the 2+ years I have been on cigar forums, it was only my second neg comment.

It is very sad for me that as of right now I would rather send someone a pm through facebook than through a cigar forum. It almost brings tears to my eyes.

I understand people are still very upset with what happened and I don't blame them, but we all have one thing in common, we love this hobby/passion. We are all cigar and pipe smokers, we should not be enemies.

As I sit outside smoking a cigar while writing this on my phone, I really do not know what to do or say. It is a troubling time for many people for many different reasons outside of which cigar forum is better. I am normally a very private person and do not post things like this, but I tend to get a little emotional when I smoke cigars (must be due to the nicotine). Thank you for reading.
I'm there for you on facebook
Old 01-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
No1der

Well, I hear where you're coming from and I wish I had something to tell you other than power corrupts and the illusion of absolute power turns people into J***offs.

Anyway, if you're curious in my little story just check out my sig and you'll see why I said what I said.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 01-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1der View Post
Well, I hear where you're coming from and I wish I had something to tell you other than power corrupts and the illusion of absolute power turns people into J***offs.

Anyway, if you're curious in my little story just check out my sig and you'll see why I said what I said.

Cheers,
Rob
no wonder you are over here
Old 01-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
architeuthis

This whole thing will settle down shortly. All the migrating and fluttering people will find their new homes and the "teen angst" will become an event of the past.

It is pretty sad that some people are getting out of hand, but again I don't think it'll last too long.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
No1der

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vito View Post
no wonder you are over here
Well, I signed up here prior to my ban but didn't really start posting all that much since I only signed up yesterday and RL has been keeping me busy.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 01-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by architeuthis View Post
This whole thing will settle down shortly. All the migrating and fluttering people will find their new homes and the "teen angst" will become an event of the past.

It is pretty sad that some people are getting out of hand, but again I don't think it'll last too long.
You are wise sir. Change is hard for most. It's a downward level of interboard BS from here forward. Tables are set, most folks are seated at their preferred one by now. I look forward to a happier relationship with them as their new environement gels and the paranoia decreases allowing more varied conversation.

Montecristo#2 it cuts both ways on comments. Got a scathing nasty RG comment there a few weeks ago from a senior member I consider at minimum "friendly". Chalk it up to the heated times and we all have better ones in front of us. It's part of the job and a bigger part in times of upheaval. No excuses or tolerance for threats though. Got a few there, kept and dealt with it there, but completely understand the feelings involved.

Being a mod there is not what most expect looking at it from the outside. Thankless janitorial duty for the most part. In that.. it's not a whole lot different than here. The big difference, and the one that has caused the noise is simple.. we got a fresh start here..easier, it is, and has stayed what it was stated to be from day 1. There, much change and evolving representations has taken place so it's understandable that the level of noise is much greater. New guy having to affect change and a new mod team to help shepard it... made it all the harder. You guys did good work it's the situation not your efforts.

Take a break from the boards, smoke a few, snuggle with the one you love and come back with a better perspective... these are just silly little cigar boards that we all at times take to seriously.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear you're upset. I'm sure it'll all pass, and I honestly wish it'd not happened.
I'm not sure why any of you guys hopped on the opportunity to deal with what CS has become. I'm sure you've got your own reasons, and I imagine they're dear to you, hoping maybe you could do the place some good.
Why you're still there is beyond me, though.
When you're done taking a beating, I'm sure all the guys here would love to have you.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
No1der

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
You are wise sir. Change is hard for most. It's a downward level of interboard BS from here forward. Tables are set, most folks are seated at their preferred one by now. I look forward to a happier relationship with them as their new environement gels and the paranoia decreases allowing more varied conversation.

Montecristo#2 it cuts both ways on comments. Got a scathing nasty RG comment there a few weeks ago from a senior member I consider at minimum "friendly". Chalk it up to the heated times and we all have better ones in front of us. It's part of the job and a bigger part in times of upheaval. No excuses or tolerance for threats though. Got a few there, kept and dealt with it there, but completely understand the feelings involved.

Being a mod there is not what most expect looking at it from the outside. Thankless janitorial duty for the most part. In that.. it's not a whole lot different than here. The big difference, and the one that has caused the noise is simple.. we got a fresh start here..easier, it is, and has stayed what it was stated to be from day 1. There, much change and evolving representations has taken place so it's understandable that the level of noise is much greater. New guy having to affect change and a new mod team to help shepard it... made it all the harder. You guys did good work it's the situation not your efforts.

Take a break from the boards, smoke a few, snuggle with the one you love and come back with a better perspective... these are just silly little cigar boards that we all at times take to seriously.
Although I do not agree with what you say, I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it good sir.

Nah, I'm just kindding, you're mostly right and your words are wise. Though I'm still kinda heated and it's hard for me to say that I agree with everything you say but in reality if I weren't hot right now I would most likely agree with 99% of your words.

Glad to be here, glad to be a Silverback and I'm thrilled there are no pictures of fish here.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 01-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
JKim

Aaron... thanks for the kind words. Enjoy the cigar. I hope it puts you in a better mood.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
dvickery
Team of 1

First Name: derrek
Trading: (0)
dvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
these are just silly little cigar boards that we all at times take to seriously.

wisdom...if i could figger out how to give you ring guage i would .

derrek
Old 01-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #12
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvickery View Post
wisdom...if i could figger out how to give you ring guage i would .

derrek
Click on the in his post.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #13
dvickery
Team of 1

First Name: derrek
Trading: (0)
dvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
Click on the in his post.
the ring guage comment was said with tongue firmly in cheak...ironic/laconic humour or whatever.thanks for showing me how tho.

daves was such a good line i am going to repeat it tho.

Quote:
these are just silly little cigar boards that we all at times take to seriously.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:23 AM   #14
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Aaron, It must be difficult for you. I understand your passion and desire to make the best of the situation. Threats and negative comments may spawn from the emotions of the situation but really have no place among true BOTL's.
Unfortunately, not all who come to cigar forums share your's and Dave's spirit.
Hopefully things will settle down with time and passions will be replaced with the PIF attitude we all have learned. Stay strong and know that you are supported by friends here.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:26 AM   #15
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Aaron, It must be difficult for you. I understand your passion and desire to make the best of the situation. Threats and negative comments may spawn from the emotions of the situation but really have no place among true BOTL's.
Unfortunately, not all who come to cigar forums share your's and Dave's spirit.
Hopefully things will settle down with time and passions will be replaced with the PIF attitude we all have learned. Stay strong and know that you are supported by friends here.

Thanks for the kind words Bob. I have a new goal, we are going to herf sometime in February, March at the latest.

I hope your last herf was a blast!
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:37 AM   #16
smokinj

Keep your chin up bro, much better days ahead
Old 01-26-2009, 12:50 AM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Aaron, you and I have traveled down the road together in the past, and I hope we will continue to do so in the future. You are a good man, and I know that you are doing what you feel is for the best in what I see as a tough situation. Alluding to what Dave said, at the end of the day these cigars forums should be a source of enjoyment and relaxation for both the members and the mods. I hope you will find both, wherever you hang your hat.

Threats are unacceptable. Why someone would threaten another over a cigar forum is beyond me....the couple threats I received at CS I chalked up to "internet tough guys"....I doubt any of them would have had the balls to say it to my face.

I hope we get a chance to both Cyberherf and to herf together in 2009.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:51 AM   #18
doctorcue
BABOTL - VP of Drinking

First Name: Danny
Trading: (2)
VR
doctorcue is on a distinguished road

Dave did say it right regarding snuggling & all that. We become emotionally attached to these boards with all of the friendships we make & time we put into our hobby. Yet; we sometimes need to step back and realize what everything is about. Friends, sanity, & a tasty treat. I hope you post up here more often (since most of the Bay crew is on here) and herf with ya soon.

You missed a great duet @ Bob's last night. Times like that is what cigars are about.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #19
No1der

I'm not suggesting that anyone out anybody but I am curious what the nature of the threat was. This is the first I'm hearing of this.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 01-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #20
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1der View Post
I'm not suggesting that anyone out anybody but I am curious what the nature of the threat was. This is the first I'm hearing of this.

Cheers,
Rob
Posted yesterday in your favorite thread.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...&postcount=641

Assumed to have happened there. No public details were given. Not even sure if it was posted publicly there but it was here. I read the inference as it was someone here but no direct accusations were made. Personal threats are not tolerated anywhere. Worse when it's towards the volunteer unpaid janitorial staff who take the heat without a slice of the meat.