Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Boycotting the NFL in 2012

I think this is going to be a protest of one person, but I am not going to watch NFL football in 2012.
Say what you want about the Saints, as a lifetime fan, I dealt with people thinking we were the junk
of the NFL for over 40 years, and though it seems that the Saints ignored warnings and even lied about
bounties, I challenge anyone to prove to me that it was a one team deal. The punishments were egregious
to boot, with one year suspensions for 2 or more major people. This hurts Drew Brees, this hurts Saints fans,
this hurts the city of New Orleans. So the NFL can kiss my entire a$$ in 2012, and we'll see where it goes
from there. I may be done with them altogether. I gave up the NBA in the 80s and never watched another game.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Boycotting the NFL in 2012

you break the rules and get caught, you will pay the price just like anything else in life.

Why should they be above the law?
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Brad while I agree that other teams are doing it, Saints got caught, then tried to lie about it. I do think the NFL has been harsh on fines and suspensions but they are trying to get rid of foul play in the league.

I really don't think the Saints will be hurt that much by this. As long as they sign Brees they should be ok. He commands everyone's attention in that locker room and is a coach in himself. He'll keep the team in working order no matter who the interim coach is.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

I think it helps Drew Brees more than it hurts him. Sorry to say, but it gives him a huge bargaining chip for a new deal. He runs the locker room and is the heart of the organization. They can re-sign him and save some face with the fans.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I think this is going to be a protest of one person, but I am not going to watch NFL football in 2012.
Say what you want about the Saints, as a lifetime fan, I dealt with people thinking we were the junk
of the NFL for over 40 years, and though it seems that the Saints ignored warnings and even lied about
bounties, I challenge anyone to prove to me that it was a one team deal.
The punishments were egregious
to boot, with one year suspensions for 2 or more major people. This hurts Drew Brees, this hurts Saints fans,
this hurts the city of New Orleans. So the NFL can kiss my entire a$$ in 2012, and we'll see where it goes
from there. I may be done with them altogether. I gave up the NBA in the 80s and never watched another game.
I hear where you're coming from, but it sounds like you believe that they shouldn't be held accountable for their actions because they aren't the only ones doing it. If this is the case, then, at which point should they be held accountable? Would it therefore be reasonable to say that no one should get a speeding ticket because others get away with it?
Old 04-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Brad, I can't tell you what to do here, but I don't see the reason to boycott (other than to not have to witness the pain and suffering that Saints fans will probably have to witness this year). Yes, I'm sure other teams put bounties on opposing teams' players, but they don't have players who openly broadcast it like the Saints did. It doesn't make it right, but if you're gonna have a group of people do something that is unethical, make sure you can trust everyone in that group. The Saints aren't the only team to put bounties on people, but they are the ones who slipped up and got caught, therefore they pay the price alone.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Well Brad, look on the bright side.
By September, that awful Three Stooges movie you're excited about, should be in the discount DVD bin at Wal-mart.
You can watch it every Sunday!

You get called in to see the man, the man tells you to stop, you say "we will", you don't, you get caught, you pay the price, end of story.
This was more about lying to the commish than the actual bounty program.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
srduggins
Feeling at Home

First Name: steve
Trading: (37)
LGC
srduggins will become famous soon enoughsrduggins will become famous soon enough

Saints got a raw deal. Goodell is horrible for the NFL. Can't wait to see him go, but it looks like I'll be waiting a while.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
By September, that awful Three Stooges movie you're excited about, should be in the discount DVD bin at Wal-mart.

You get called in to see the man, the man tells you to stop, you say "we will", you don't, you get caught, you pay the price, end of story.
This was more about lying to the commish than the actual bounty program.
I'm sure that had a lot to do with it but as much publicity as this got, I think it had more to do with the bounty program. It wasn't quite hush hush exactly. Once this hit espn, the doors were blasted wide open.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

A few sayings come to mind...

Don't let the door hit ya' where the Good Lord split ya'!
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time!
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
You can watch it every Sunday!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
Bageland2000
On another adventure

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (2)
RyJ Army (Active)
Bageland2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
I hear where you're coming from, but it sounds like you believe that they shouldn't be held accountable for their actions because they aren't the only ones doing it. If this is the case, then, at which point should they be held accountable? Would it therefore be reasonable to say that no one should get a speeding ticket because others get away with it?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

When you start a thread, you have to be ready to read anything, but I was very clear that
I understood that they ignored warnings and covered things up. I am not sure how that
translates in any way into me saying that they shouldn't be held accountable for their actions.
I am not holding my breath and pouting here. NO ONE HAS EVER gotten a punishment like this
in the history of the league. It's extreme and I don't like it. And again, while it doesn't matter
in this particular boycott, I defy anyone to show me evidence that the Saints are the only team
doing this. But again, my point is not to have anyone's approval of my boycott, with what little
effect it may have. Just saying that this punishment is over the top and they can kiss my entire A$$.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
When you start a thread, you have to be ready to read anything, but I was very clear that
I understood that they ignored warnings and covered things up. I am not holding my breath
and pouting. NO ONE HAS EVER gotten a punishment like this in the history of the league.And again, while it doesn't matter in this particular case, I defy anyone to show me evidence
that the Saints are the only team doing this.
But again, my point is not to have anyone's approval of my boycott, with what little effect
it may have. Just saying that this punishment is over the top and they can kiss my entire A$$.
Tell me the last team that has done something like this and has been caught and exposed to the public like the saints have........
Old 04-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #15
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Would it therefore be reasonable to say that no one should get a speeding ticket because others get away with it?
No, this is like saying that if you get caught speeding, a cop can shoot you in the fu(King head.
And it looks like the Saints are the only ones to get caught in that speed trap. AND THEY WERE
SPEEDING.

And look, all I am really saying is I am extremely pi$$ed off at Goodell and he will have to deal with
my boycott. I am a 50 year old man, I do not say things like, 'it's not fair, everybody is doing it'.
I DID at one stage of my life, but there are dozens of cliche's to cover that.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #16
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
No, this is like saying that if you get caught speeding, a cop can shoot you. The Saints are the first one to get caught in that speed trap.
If they are the first ones to get caught then who are you to decide what the proper punishment is?

What are you gauging it off of?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
Tell me the last team that has done something like this and has been caught and exposed to the public like the saints have........
What did the Patriots get for cheating? I am not saying that anyone's health
was at risk in their cheating scam, I am asking what did they get? Do you remember?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #18
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
What did the Patriots get for cheating? I am not saying that anyone's health
was at risk in their cheating scam, I am asking what did they get? Do you remember?
comparing apples to oranges here bud.

We are talking about PEOPLES health and lives here, not cheating.

Thats like comparing robbery to murder if you will, they will get different punishments obviously.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #19
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
If they are the first ones to get caught then who are you to decide what the proper punishment is?

What are you gauging it off of?
I am gauging it off of what I think is fair and what I will tolerate of it
before I get disgusted enough to stop watching football in protest.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #20
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
I am gauging it off of what I think is fair and what I will tolerate of it
before I get disgusted enough to stop watching football in protest.
Well I guess thats YOUR choice and opinion and your entitled to them. Let's face it though, we are nobody to the NFL. They have their own judge and will set their own laws and punishments. They could care less what we think. The laws and rules are in place for a reason.