Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about
Default The Bordeaux Thread

Just thought I start a thread on my favorite wines. What do you like? What are you drinking? What have you got 'tucked away'? And probably most important...let's see some good deals!
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bordeaux Thread

Best wine I've ever had was a home grown home made wine my buddy makes. It doesn't even have a name sorry.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I have about 10-12 cases of various 2000 BDX's I bought as Futures. Nothing too big time. Certainly looking forward to opening some of them soon. A couple of cases I have tried a bottle here and there.

2005 is in full swing for a the bargain shoppers. Lots of excellent stuff on the shelf for under $30 that is worth getting by the case.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
2005 is in full swing for a the bargain shoppers. Lots of excellent stuff on the shelf for under $30 that is worth getting by the case.
I agree, some great wines that should be classics and cheap for what you're getting(YMMV).
2005 Duhart-Milon Rothschild (Pauillac) - RP says "it reveals a character not dissimilar from its renowned sibling, Lafite-Rothschild" ~$70
2005 Destieux (St Emilion) ~$40
2005 Chateau Lagrange (St. Julien) ~$60
2005 Clos Du Jaugueyron (Margaux) ~$100 (I bought some of these as futures when they were half this price, not sure they're worth $100 now released, but they are always excellent wines IMO)
2005 Chateau D'Issan (Margaux) ~$70
2005 Pontet Canet (Pauillac) This gets my 'must buy', not cheap at ~$130 but you will be rewarded in 10+ years I am sure.
The Sauternes look good too, they take forever to mature though.

Oh, and pick up some Pavie too
Old 01-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney View Post
I agree, some great wines that should be classics and cheap for what you're getting(YMMV).
2005 Duhart-Milon Rothschild (Pauillac) - RP says "it reveals a character not dissimilar from its renowned sibling, Lafite-Rothschild" ~$70
2005 Destieux (St Emilion) ~$40
2005 Chateau Lagrange (St. Julien) ~$60
2005 Clos Du Jaugueyron (Margaux) ~$100 (I bought some of these as futures when they were half this price, not sure they're worth $100 now released, but they are always excellent wines IMO)
2005 Chateau D'Issan (Margaux) ~$70
2005 Pontet Canet (Pauillac) This gets my 'must buy', not cheap at ~$130 but you will be rewarded in 10+ years I am sure.
The Sauternes look good too, they take forever to mature though.

Oh, and pick up some Pavie too
Those prices look pretty high...

I have a couple of cases of D'Issan 2000; not sure if I have tried one yet. Bought them as futures.

Love Pauillac's!

One of the best bets if you want to spend some money is Mission Haut Brion.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Those prices look pretty high...
Those are per bottle prices, without case discount. If you know a place with cheaper prices pleeeeease post some links. But I haven't done much searching, I guess I'm being lazy. I will search, but please post if you've got the time/inclination.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney View Post
Those are per bottle prices, without case discount. If you know a place with cheaper prices pleeeeease post some links. But I haven't done much searching, I guess I'm being lazy. I will search, but please post if you've got the time/inclination.
Just check www.wine-searcher.com as good reference on pricing.

A lot can depend on what state you're in if you go mail order. There's always auction house like Chrisities. Not everything is a expensive as it sounds. www.winestillsoldout.com is a good mailing list to get on.