Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Could use some training advice for a half marathon.

I'm dead set on running a half marathon sometime this year. I could really use some help setting up a training plan to reach my goal. Has anyone used the plans on the CoolRunning website? I've been reading through them and a not sure how to make it all work. I really don't have 5k/10k paces yet, as I've only run 2 5k's and no 10k's. Currently I'm running 4-5 days a week on my treadmill, doing about 20-25 miles total. I try to vary my runs, some days doing a simulated 5k trying to set a new best time, or slowing the pace and going for distance/duration. Today for example I felt good and did 8.4 miles in just over 80 minutes (I was running for time).

My plan had been to do a 10k come spring, plus some other 5k's and the Warrior Dash, then do the 1/2 in the fall. Even though things are going good now, I'm going to stick to that as work may throw a monkey wrench into those plans.

So if anyone can offer advice, or help with a plan, I'd appreciate it.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: Could use some training advice for a half marathon.

A couple years ago when I bought my Nike+ trainers, their website had a few programs built around your level of conditioning. They have a 12 week program to prepare for a half-marathon. Don't think you need to have the Nike+ device, just need an account.

http://nikerunning.nike.com/nikeos/p.../#//dashboard/

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Gerard, I'll check that out.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
goomer

There are a ton of plans out there. Some free, some not. Most will start you off doing some sprints 2 to 3 days a week and a long, slow run day. After a few weeks of that you'll move more to mid length runs and start to increase the length of your runs and the amount of miles per week. The key is to not increase the length of your long runs or the total amount of miles per week too fast. I.E. increase the length of your long/slow run by a mile each week and your overall mileage by no more that a few miles per week. Runners world has a program on their website for free that looked pretty good. Of course you can upgrade the training program for a fee but I don't think there's a need. Good luck with the training!
Old 02-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Thanks Sean. My old boss turned me on to a site called marathon rookie. They have some good, simple plans in there, describing pretty much what you're saying. I've kinda been doing that on my own already, trying to increase my long run of the week by an extra 5-10 minutes and not caring about distance. That'll all work itself out.

The big issue will be work travel and being able to get the necessary runs in. Hopefully the new guy works out and can take some pressure off on my travel schedule.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Bob...here's my sound advice...don't do it.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Bob...here's my sound advice...don't do it.

My sister ran a full marathon a few years ago, doing the same race two years in a row. She did it by locating a running club in her area. She said it really helped her with motivation. Knowing that she would let others down if she didn't show up for training was a huge boost for her. Just a thought. I have only run one 5k and I thought I was going to die at about .5k. Much more of a than a runner.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

That's something I'll look into Steve, joining a running club. The training and motivation would be a big help to me. Right now it's more of a mental issue, to keep running for extended periods of time.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Finally signed up for a half marathon. Going to be running the Detroit Free Press International half. You start in Detroit, cross the Ambassador Bridge into Windsor, Canada, run a few miles there, then back through the tunnel into Detroit. 13 weeks to train now.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
racerX
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: john
Trading: (0)
racerX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Finally signed up for a half marathon. Going to be running the Detroit Free Press International half. You start in Detroit, cross the Ambassador Bridge into Windsor, Canada, run a few miles there, then back through the tunnel into Detroit. 13 weeks to train now.

That is the best thing you could have done. Once you sign up your motivation sky rockets.
I find running outside much more entertaining than tread mill.
Another trick about running outside is if you don't run in a circle, but do a out in back you will motivate yourself by simply having to make it back home.

Try the Nike+ site. I GPS all my runs and it's fun to have the site track them all.

Great job on your part. I'm rooting for you!
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

A half marathon is basically just 2 10Ks. Way back when I still had functional knees and a real left arch, I trained for mountaineering by running during the week. It seemed forever that I could not get past 5 miles. Then I got a new roommate that was a marathoner. We went out for a short run and I suddenly realized that I was still 5 miles from home. He told me that I would run or walk it back. It was amazingly easy to go above the 5 mile mark after that. Until I moved from Seattle in 1989, I ran half marathons on Tuesday and Thursday as training for mountaineering on the weekends. My race pace was 7:15. Not fast but not slow either.

I'm going to try to do the couch to 5K plan, once I get some orthotics for my left foot. I miss running and am determined to get back in to it. It's not a bad way to exercise in a rainy climate like ours.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys. I kept saying I wanted to do one, but I knew if I didn't register, it wouldn't happen. I'm waiting for it to cool down a bit before I head out this evening.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
Joneser172

Thumbs up Re: Could use some training advice for a half marathon.

Congrats on signing up for you first half and good job so far! I think you'll find that regardless of your prep you will find a way to finish come race day. All of the resources mentioned earlier are pretty good. Just find something that works for you and something you can stick to. I would recommend incorporating some plyometrics into your routine. This will strengthen you up and increase overall performance. Also, do some sprints occasionally to get your heart into overdrive. Just be careful not to overdo it and recognize your limitations. Anyway, good luck and have a blast!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneser172 View Post
Congrats on signing up for you first half and good job so far! I think you'll find that regardless of your prep you will find a way to finish come race day. All of the resources mentioned earlier are pretty good. Just find something that works for you and something you can stick to. I would recommend incorporating some plyometrics into your routine. This will strengthen you up and increase overall performance. Also, do some sprints occasionally to get your heart into overdrive. Just be careful not to overdo it and recognize your limitations. Anyway, good luck and have a blast!
Thanks. On a recommendation I got the book "The Nonrunners Marathon Trainer". Good book so far. I figured can use it to prep for the half and then should I want to do a full one, I have a good reference to get there. Today was a easy 3 mile run. I did just over 5k in my best time yet.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

There are a TON of programs out there. They all do something right and they all do something wrong. My only advice - since you are novice runner - is to be very careful increasing mileage. No more than 10% per week. IMHO, even that is pushing it.

Ok...so 2 pieces of advice. Try to get outside for at least half your runs. Treadmill vs real road is a lot different.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post

Ok...so 2 pieces of advice. Try to get outside for at least half your runs. Treadmill vs real road is a lot different.
Yep, that's my plan. Been running outside as much as possible, evenin the heat (lots of water). Today was great. 72ish, overcast with a bit of rain.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

one foot in front of the other...and keep your head up.

The hardest part is getting to the starting line.

FYI
Old 07-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #18
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
one foot in front of the other...and keep your head up.

The hardest part is getting to the starting line.

FYI
+1 on Hal Higdon. If you get your miles up and keep running, the Firman 'FIRST' training program is good too.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
+1 on Hal Higdon. If you get your miles up and keep running, the Firman 'FIRST' training program is good too.
I was checking this out last night. I like how he has different plans for each race, depending upon your level and what your goals are. I'll have to check out the Firman First program too. I've been running for over a year now and find I really enjoy it, so I plan on sticking with it for the long haul.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Tomorrow is the run. Last couple of weeks training has been lacking due to a bit of tendinitis in the ankle. Found out about KT Tape last night. Just taped up the ankle, feels 100% better. That and some ibuprofen and ill be right as rain. I've been so amped all this week, and especially today. Gotta keep the energy in check so I don't go out too fast at the start. I'll post my results when I get home.