Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Instant Replay In Baseball?
Yes 15 31.25%
No 28 58.33%
Undecided/Maybe in places 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #41
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Instant Replay In Baseball...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
When I consider technology in the game, the first place I consider it is at balls and strikes. Umps differ wildly in their strikezones depending on how they want to move the game along. They'll pay back bad calls, too.
That can all be ended real quick.
I'm sure if someone ran a balls/strikes ratio (that was logged via foxcam or something) between teams after the game was played, they'd show a clear advantage for one team over the other. The use of a technology like that may keep and ump on their toes, looking over their shoulder in fear of their job, but it's not necessary.
If a team loses a game because an ump has it out for them, they have 161 others where the ump is liable to go their way. It's not just one game.

If a ball hits the foul pole and maybe it's a home run, maybe it's not, sometimes a guy will get robbed. He's got another 500 at bats to get another.

My point is, bad calls allow ball players to learn how to be decent human beings. They learn to accept that sometimes the world isn't fair. As a result, baseball players, by and large, don't act like players in other professional sports.
If they do, they straighten up by the time they get older.
Look how many fistfights there are in any single NFL game. Nobody can control themselves because they've never had to. The game doesn't call for being a gentleman, it doesn't help a guy's game to be calm.
In baseball, the only time you see a fight is when a pitcher drills a batter on purpose. Then he gets a quick lesson from the whole bench on how to act.

Amen, amen, amen, and amen Scott.