Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #501
mase
Undead Recruiter

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
mase will become famous soon enoughmase will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaga View Post
Because he doesn't know how to store cigars??? If you try it, I would use a cigar I wouldn't mind dehydrating. I suspect the cigar would dry out rather quickly.
I wasn't planning on trying it. It's kind of strange because he had been using a humidor. He bought a box or two of cigars and started putting them in the vegetable drawer. I wonder where he got this idea or advice.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #502
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
I wasn't planning on trying it. It's kind of strange because he had been using a humidor. He bought a box or two of cigars and started putting them in the vegetable drawer. I wonder where he got this idea or advice.
If he was trying to kill beetles, he would have to freeze the cigars. There are threads on the board with advice for freezing.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #503
mase
Undead Recruiter

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
mase will become famous soon enoughmase will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaga View Post
If he was trying to kill beetles, he would have to freeze the cigars. There are threads on the board with advice for freezing.
Quite frankly, I don't think that was his aim. Someone must have convinced him that this was better than a humidor. Sadly, it was probably someone at his local B&M.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #504
Eros
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Eros is on a distinguished road

My seasoning is going fairly well. The humidity is dropping steadily from the 84 it was at about 1:00. But I think I have a bad seal. Did the dollar bill/paper test and what not. Are there any good remedies? Sorry if there is a thread on this already. I'm new to discussion boards:/
Eros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #505
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
My seasoning is going fairly well. The humidity is dropping steadily from the 84 it was at about 1:00. But I think I have a bad seal. Did the dollar bill/paper test and what not. Are there any good remedies? Sorry if there is a thread on this already. I'm new to discussion boards:/
Silicone.

I just typed "Seal" in the search box, "thread titles only", and saw a half dozen threads that can help you.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #506
Eros
Just in from the Storm

Lastly, I hope, about how long does it take for low humidity to ruin cigars? If I place my cigars in the humidor, with 65 rh beads, and it drops to like 62 or even 60, roughly how long do I have to fix the humidity before all hell breaks loose?
Eros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #507
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Nick
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Newbie_nick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Lastly, I hope, about how long does it take for low humidity to ruin cigars? If I place my cigars in the humidor, with 65 rh beads, and it drops to like 62 or even 60, roughly how long do I have to fix the humidity before all hell breaks loose?
Actually, some folks prefer their sticks at 60 Rh! Its a personal preference thing....

As far as damaging cigars from low humidity, I don't think that they can get hurt. If you discover that your humidity is too low, recharge your humidifier and let the sticks "soak" for several days to a couple of weeks to stabilize. They will be fine...
Newbie_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #508
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Take a breath, bro. You are worrying way too much! Cigars are much more resilient and tougher than you obviously think. 60% will not adversely affect your cigars if you kept them there permanently, as I do. I know some that keep their cigars as low as 55% and they are fine.

So, sit back, relax and have a cigar.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #509
Eros
Just in from the Storm

I just added the rest of my cigars to my humidor which obviously caused to rh to drop. It was sitting steady around 64 with my 65 rh beads. It is now down to 56. I know that's not awful but I'd like to get it back up to the 63-65 range. So I added one of those humicare pillows to act as a catalyst along with the beads. Once it reaches the lower 60's I plan on taking to pillow out. Good idea? Bad idea?
Old 01-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #510
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
I just added the rest of my cigars to my humidor which obviously caused to rh to drop. It was sitting steady around 64 with my 65 rh beads. It is now down to 56. I know that's not awful but I'd like to get it back up to the 63-65 range. So I added one of those humicare pillows to act as a catalyst along with the beads. Once it reaches the lower 60's I plan on taking to pillow out. Good idea? Bad idea?
It's neither.
I would just leave the beads in there and let them do their job. It takes time. This hobby requires patience. Cigars are resilient. Many of us have cigars shipped from overseas with no humidification for days and sometimes weeks. Cigars at 56 RH and rising will be just fine.

Patience, Grasshopper.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #511
Eros
Just in from the Storm

I don't know why i'm so anxious about it. My friend told me that cigars would dry out in like 1 day if the humidity dropped below the ideal 70%. So of course I believed him.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #512
JDee

Is the humidor at Sam's club for $60 a good deal? It looks nice, but this would be my first humidor. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #513
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDee View Post
Is the humidor at Sam's club for $60 a good deal? It looks nice, but this would be my first humidor. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Probably not. Do you have a link or picture?

Try an online vendor with a good reputation, you may find better deals that may even include some cigars.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #514
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
I don't know why i'm so anxious about it. My friend told me that cigars would dry out in like 1 day if the humidity dropped below the ideal 70%. So of course I believed him.
You're friend is full of baloney.
Cigars will not dry out in a day.
While some folks prefer 70% RH, many also prefer mid and even low 60s.
70% as the "ideal" RH is bogus.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #515
JDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Probably not. Do you have a link or picture?

Try an online vendor with a good reputation, you may find better deals that may even include some cigars.
I don't have a picture. It has a glass top, and a hygrometer you can view from the outside, spanish cedar. It looks nice, but obviously looks are not the primary factor. Can you recommend some sites I should look at, or some features that I should make sure a humidor has? Thank you,
Old 01-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #516
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

We have stickies on just about any subject someone starting in this hobbie could imagine. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=621
I would also advise against a glasstop humidor when starting out. They look nice but are prone to leaking and can be difficult to set up.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #517
JDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
We have stickies on just about any subject someone starting in this hobbie could imagine. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=621
I would also advise against a glasstop humidor when starting out. They look nice but are prone to leaking and can be difficult to set up.
Thank you, very helpful!
Old 01-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #518
Minus_Blindfold

How low is too low as far as humidity goes? Cuz I have 20 decent cigars in my humidor and its running at about 61% Will they be ok? Or should I consider another option? I always hear the 70/70 rule so, I'm pretty far from that!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #519
Trent0341
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Dan
Trading: (7)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Trent0341 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus_Blindfold View Post
How low is too low as far as humidity goes? Cuz I have 20 decent cigars in my humidor and its running at about 61% Will they be ok? Or should I consider another option? I always hear the 70/70 rule so, I'm pretty far from that!
Some people actually store them around 60%. I keep mine at 65% and others will tell you the "70/70" rule". Bottom line is keep them at what works best for you. Personally I'd like to keep them above 60% but thats not for everyone.

Edited to add: If you read the page just prior to this one you'll see a similar question and much the same response.

Last edited by Trent0341; 01-28-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Trent0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #520
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

As Dan said, it comes down to personal preference. I store mine around 62% and they smoke wonderfully.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote