Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #181
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Tazziedevil is on a distinguished road
Default Re: iPhone Sucks and Apple are Bastards

Hey I'm a blackberry fanboy...and they have a lot of improvements the last few years. Blackberry still does what it does best- reliable, secure email. The blackberry storm is all touch screen.

I would argue that blackberry doesn't have a limited feature set at all. In what areas do think it's limited?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #182
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
I'd go back to my old winmo phone *shudder* before giving up Verizon....
Not if you went through what I went through bwith Verizon customer service

It's funny how i've trended with my phones. My first cell phone I had ATT until I had a billing problem, then I switched to Verizon. Had Verizon for a few years, iPhone came out (didn't care cause it was ATT), bashed early adopters getting stuck with ATT, then had an issue with Verizon, worst customer service experience of my life, dropped em and bought an iPhone. ATT isn't perfect, I do get more dropped calls and it is more expensive, but I don't mind. Not an Apple fanboy by any stretch, but I love my iPhone.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #183
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

with regards to phone companies, I demand above all that my phone work, whenever and wherever in the country I demand it. Fore everywhere I have traveled, Verizon has never ceased to disappoint, while I have seen friends on other providers consistently fall short. This is reason enough for me to remain with Verizon, as I have for longer than I can remember (6 years? 8 years? I don't know....)
Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #184
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazziedevil View Post
Hey I'm a blackberry fanboy...and they have a lot of improvements the last few years. Blackberry still does what it does best- reliable, secure email. The blackberry storm is all touch screen.

I would argue that blackberry doesn't have a limited feature set at all. In what areas do think it's limited?
Posted via Mobile Device
can't sync with itunes and the app store is less than desirable
Old 04-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #185
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #186
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
can't sync with itunes and the app store is less than desirable
I don't about syncing with iTunes, since I don't like iTunes and wouldn't sync with iTunes even if I had iTunes on my computer.

And yeah, the NUMBER of apps in the app store is quite a few less than the iPhone, but the vast majority are apps that are actually useful, and not novelties. Blackberries are primarily business phones, so most of the apps have a business-y/productivity feel to them.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #187
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
I don't about syncing with iTunes, since I don't like iTunes and wouldn't sync with iTunes even if I had iTunes on my computer.
I never said you cared about it, you asked for limitations and I gave you one. Kind of like me with the SD card, you call it a limitation... but it isn't one that applies to me

This is where that whole thing called personal opinion comes in, and why I can't tell people to like Apple or you tell anyone not to like them.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #188
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
I never said you cared about it, you asked for limitations and I gave you one. Kind of like me with the SD card, you call it a limitation... but it isn't one that applies to me

This is where that whole thing called personal opinion comes in, and why I can't tell people to like Apple or you tell anyone not to like them.
Fair enough, but you can sync music with iTunes:

http://uk.blackberry.com/services/media/mediasync.jsp
Old 04-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #189
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:07 AM   #190
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
fanboy,

Old 04-11-2010, 05:21 AM   #191
Resipsa

Quote:

And yeah, the NUMBER of apps in the app store is quite a few less than the iPhone, but the vast majority are apps that are actually useful, and not novelties. Blackberries are primarily business phones, so most of the apps have a business-y/productivity feel to them.
You're way off base. To give you an idea of how much MORE productive the Iphone is than a Blackberry:

ATT Virtual Receptionist provides me with a FREE 800 number I can provide to clients, I get 60 minutes free per month, after that it costs. I'm unaware of any blackberry app that could do that for me.

Ribbit Mobile (exact same thing as Google voice) provides me with a free local phone number that I can route all of my phone calls through. Is there a google voice or ribbit mobile app for the blackberry?

ScannerPro allows me to take a photo with the iphone, convert it to a PDF and send it to a client, either through email or as a fax using my efax account.

DocsToGo allows me to create and edit word, excel, etc, docs, and on and on and on.

While the BB may be able to do some of these things, I used to have one and I KNOW it can't do all of them.

On top of which for whatever reason the apps you can buy for an Iphone, even business apps, are WAY cheaper than they are for BB or winmo devices. DocsToGO on other platforms runs from $35-$80. Cost me ten bucks. The same is true of almost all other business apps.

The Iphone has become an incredibly useful business tool. I can speak from experience, the ONLY reason the BB and not the Iphone is the most used business phone in my field is because there are still some security issues to be addressed with the Iphone. Other than than the BB would already be on it's way out.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:31 AM   #192
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
You're way off base. To give you an idea of how much MORE productive the Iphone is than a Blackberry:

ATT Virtual Receptionist provides me with a FREE 800 number I can provide to clients, I get 60 minutes free per month, after that it costs. I'm unaware of any blackberry app that could do that for me.

Ribbit Mobile (exact same thing as Google voice) provides me with a free local phone number that I can route all of my phone calls through. Is there a google voice or ribbit mobile app for the blackberry?

ScannerPro allows me to take a photo with the iphone, convert it to a PDF and send it to a client, either through email or as a fax using my efax account.

DocsToGo allows me to create and edit word, excel, etc, docs, and on and on and on.

While the BB may be able to do some of these things, I used to have one and I KNOW it can't do all of them.

On top of which for whatever reason the apps you can buy for an Iphone, even business apps, are WAY cheaper than they are for BB or winmo devices. DocsToGO on other platforms runs from $35-$80. Cost me ten bucks. The same is true of almost all other business apps.

The Iphone has become an incredibly useful business tool. I can speak from experience, the ONLY reason the BB and not the Iphone is the most used business phone in my field is because there are still some security issues to be addressed with the Iphone. Other than than the BB would already be on it's way out.
That is precisely what I was getting at when I noted that BB was going have to get back in the game and innovate. They are behind the curve, as business users begin demanding features like that.

I use docs to go and similar programs on my droid. Only thing I hear from my BB using sisters is how it can't open XYZ I sent them, etc.

HOWEVER, I promise you that my sisters wouldnt be able to use an iphone/droid for what they do... so BB still serves its purpose, even if that it rapidly becoming a fancy email client.

and on app prices... yeah, I remember it was a joyus day when I discovered simple apps for a buck or two on my droid and complex ones for $5-$10.... something simple in winmo started at $15 and rapidly climbed from there!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #193
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

It might be the country I live in (australia) but I'm not aware of anything like the virtual receptionist here, for any carrier or phone.

There is a google voice app- I've never used it, so I can't really comment on any differences between it and the iPhone version.

I have docs to go as well. I'm not sure about the scanner pro, I don't think BB has a program like that.

I guarantee I can also find a few apps BB does that iPhone does not have. The point is they both can do basically the same things.

I will admit that most BB apps are a bit spendy, especially considering how much we pay for our phones, phone plans, and data here. Outrageous!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #194
andrew

I'm an apple fan. I have had the iPhone since about a month after it's release. Yes, I've had my share of problems with it, but I don't recall shelling out any substantial amount of coin. I had a blackberry before that and the blackjack before that. Neither of them had the fluidity that the touchscreen and OS the iPhone provides. I know that better hardware and software has since been realeased, but I just can't imagine myself having any other piece of equipment.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #195
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Apple/PC who cares ... they both work ... but we can all agree that Gurkha suck, right?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #196
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
Apple/PC who cares ... they both work ... but we can all agree that Gurkha suck, right?
You're not a Gurkha Fanboy, Sean?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #197
Resipsa

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
You're not a Gurkha Fanboy, Sean?
If he comes to the Shack this year we can show him just how much they suck

Posted from my iPhone

Old 04-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #198
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Best Cigars ever, worth every penny.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #199
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
Best Cigars ever, worth every penny.

The iDoble Maduros are pretty tasty, IMO. You're all just a bunch of Gurkha bashers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #200
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

iPhones suck, along with a bunch of other things, including Phil Mickelson and Duke
Closed Thread