Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #21
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Does this seem right to you?

Utah is like 400 % tax...no local buying for me
Old 08-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #22
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevim View Post
Down here in Evansville, IN, we have a couple of pretty decent B&Ms. But one is quite a bit better. I've personally witnessed an employee from the second shop come into the better one, purchase a box, then go back to their shop and mark them up $4-5 a stick.

Pretty much have stopped visiting shop #2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Wow! That's a D1ick move for sure.
So, the first shop owner is happy, he sold cigars for his price.
The second shop is purchasing a product, and putting capital into a product he may or may not sell, taking the risk that he can indeed sell them for the higher price to make a (fairly small) retail profit to drive his business. He is also expanding his inventory to serve his customer base at a cost that is most likely higher than what may have been normal wholesale pricing (if there is a licensing or preferred vendor pricing structure.)
The customer (any customer at any shop) has the choice to buy or not buy at any price.

And the "D1ck" move is exactly what?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #23
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

I always try and buy local but for larger quanities I buy online its just the was it is.. Although if you guys want to support a B&M and not shop at a Super Store there are a couple out there that have really good pricing and will ship to your door, Buckhead Cigar in Atlanta, and Burns in TN two great places I buy smokes from online that are B&M
Old 08-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #24
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
So, the first shop owner is happy, he sold cigars for his price.
The second shop is purchasing a product, and putting capital into a product he may or may not sell, taking the risk that he can indeed sell them for the higher price to make a (fairly small) retail profit to drive his business. He is also expanding his inventory to serve his customer base at a cost that is most likely higher than what may have been normal wholesale pricing (if there is a licensing or preferred vendor pricing structure.)
The customer (any customer at any shop) has the choice to buy or not buy at any price.

And the "D1ck" move is exactly what?
The d1ck move I was referring to was shop #2 raising the price higher than shop #1.

You explained it all in your above message, and you are right shop #2 has a right to do that and we as consumers have the right not to shop there.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #25
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
The d1ck move I was referring to was shop #2 raising the price higher than shop #1.

You explained it all in your above message, and you are right shop #2 has a right to do that and we as consumers have the right not to shop there.
That's absolutely ridiculous. You know nothing about the second shop. He may have higher rent and overhead. He had to pay sales tax on his purchase and pay the employee to go and buy the box. Maybe his customers dont like the first shop and are willing to pay extra.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #26
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

I order about 95% of my stuff online. The main reason is because of the DEALS one can get via online shopping. From time to time I do walk-in to B&M's but to see what they have in stock & so check out the price range they offer. I'll buy loose sticks & give myself a $$ limit but never buy a full box with the retail mark-up. I look for new sticks to try which is why I go the my local shops. But, for boxes/bulk online has the best deals. IMO I think most B&M's have extreme pricing. Which is why I limit my spending at B&M's.

Last edited by N2 GOLD; 08-27-2012 at 12:33 PM.
N2 GOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #27
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2 GOLD View Post
I order about 95% of my stuff online. The main reason is because of the DEALS one can get via online shopping. From time to time I do walk-in to B&M's but to see what they have in stock & so check out the price range they offer. I'll buy loose sticks & give myself a $$ limit but never buy a full box with the retail mark-up. I look for new sticks to try which is why I go the my local shops. But, for boxes/bulk online has the best deals. IMO I think most B&M's have extreme pricing. Which is why I limit my spending at B&M's.
The catch with this is that if you do not support your local B&M's then they will disappear.

I buy stuff online but I also buy stuff from my local shops as well -- it costs a little more, but I hope it pays off for me (and the B&M's) in the long run. Having said that our local ZB&M's may have higher pricess (due to higher costs) but none of them are gouging us...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #28
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
The catch with this is that if you do not support your local B&M's then they will disappear.
My patio is below zero for half the year...I need that place to go and I buy whatever I can afford to from the local B&M as well as keeping a membership there. Doesn't hurt that it's a damn fine place to go have a smoke.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #29
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post

I buy stuff online but I also buy stuff from my local shops as well -- it costs a little more, but I hope it pays off for me (and the B&M's) in the long run. Having said that our local ZB&M's may have higher pricess (due to higher costs) but none of them are gouging us...
I'm all for the B&M's making money. But, when they price their inventory above and beyond M.S.R.P. well thats just not my cup of tea. I understand every business whats to make $$ I get it. I also love the fact that I can choose to but or not to buy. I'm not saying that all B&M's do this but the ones who do just make it harder for the rest of them. I'm just saying IMO...
Old 08-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #30
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Perhaps this true story will shed some light on some of the questions above . . . and perhaps not.

Remember those Webkins things, those "beanie baby"-type stuffed toys with the web code that let kids go online to adopt and interact with the characters? They became a redhot fad for a time. Well, a woman who'd just taken over a long-established shop here in town wanted to get into this fad, but could not find a wholesale supplier of these toys that still had them in stock. So she went online to purchase them, thus to be able to offer them to her potential customers. This meant that, instead of paying a few dollars for them, then marking them up to the "normal" retail of $8-$12, she was purchasing many of the most-popular characters for $25-$30, then turning around and selling (or trying to sell them) for $50-$60 each. A man from a neighboring town came in with his little girl, who "just had to have" one particular of these, but when the father saw the price he flipped out about the gouging the woman was attempting . . . to the point where he actually ended up in jail for threatening the woman's life.

Now, she was an idiot for thinking her idea of buying merchandise at inflated prices was a proper business plan. The father was triply an idiot for allowing his daughter to wrap him about his finger so completely, for getting so angry at the woman for charging what she wished for something noboby actually needed anyway, and mainly for letting his mouth write his @$$ a ticket to the pokey. And the little girl? Well, she at least had the excuse of youth for her idiocy.

A "hot" cigar which a local B&M cannot easily acquire may have put this owner into the same situation. Does that make him dishonest? No, not if his aim is to satisfy his customer's demands. Does that make him foolish? No, not if he manages to sell the product at an inflated price. Does that make him in danger? In this day and age, perhaps so.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #31
drevim
On the inside looking out

First Name: Ian
Trading: (6)
Partagas
drevim has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
That's absolutely ridiculous. You know nothing about the second shop. He may have higher rent and overhead. He had to pay sales tax on his purchase and pay the employee to go and buy the box. Maybe his customers dont like the first shop and are willing to pay extra.
While I, and no one except the owners, can speak of overhead costs. This may very well be true. I wasn't passing judgement on either shop. The newer shop (#1 in the post) seems to have a much larger selection, and as was stated, made their asking price for the box.

#2 has been around for a much longer time, and while it does have a decent selection, has always had far more of a mark up than the other 4 or 5 shops in town. May be that they were able to do this prior to any competition. May be that they have the overhead issue. They do a steady business, but seemed to be mostly regulars when I was going there.

The only point I was trying to make, is that markups can happen in many ways.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #32
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
While I, and no one except the owners, can speak of overhead costs. This may very well be true. I wasn't passing judgement on either shop. The newer shop (#1 in the post) seems to have a much larger selection, and as was stated, made their asking price for the box.

#2 has been around for a much longer time, and while it does have a decent selection, has always had far more of a mark up than the other 4 or 5 shops in town. May be that they were able to do this prior to any competition. May be that they have the overhead issue. They do a steady business, but seemed to be mostly regulars when I was going there.

The only point I was trying to make, is that markups can happen in many ways.
I must have missed where I was commenting on your post.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #33
Cav22

I know when I worked at a cigar shop the price was based on taxes plus a slight markup for profit. As the taxes kept going up the owner would lower the profit margin to keep the customers from paying to high of a price. Online you can get away with lower prices because you dont have to pay the same tax as you would at a retail shop.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #34
drevim
On the inside looking out

First Name: Ian
Partagas
drevim has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I must have missed where I was commenting on your post.
It was a comment of a comment of my post. I probably should have multi-quoted to connect the chain. No worries, just wanted to clarify my point.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #35
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
It was a comment of a comment of my post. I probably should have multi-quoted to connect the chain. No worries, just wanted to clarify my point.
Just get your sorry a$$ to San Diego.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #36
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

First Name: Ed...duh
PL
Mr. Ed will become famous soon enough

The local B&M i deal with is quite literally a home away from home. It's a real inviting, calm, relaxed lounge that used to be an old house. It feels like you're heading over a buddy's place for a smoke. I'll buy a box every couple of months and rented out a locker to support him. I know I'm taking a hit on the box price vs what I can purchase online, but that's a hit I'm willing to take for using his amenities. (Plus it's in PA, so there's no cigar tax!)

As for the cigar prices. The PGs are a very pricey stick. Not surprised there. As for the Pete Johnson stuff, if he's not an authorized Tat retailer he's probably purchasing them from a distributor or another shop and is already paying a premium for that. Idk if that's the case or not, but like others have said: cigar tax.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #37
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Just get your sorry a$$ to San Diego.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #38
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
We have a shop here that charges on average $1-$2 above retail. Why you ask, "Because We Can", is the response I got when asked.
I'd quickly tell him that you'll buy them cheaper online from now on "because you can".
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #39
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

I would buy more from my B&M if he would update his selection with more of the "boutique" lines. But when it comes to padrons, fuentes, ashtons I go to him. I also grab all my pipe tobacco from my local shop. The owner is a great guy and prices very fairly he just doesnt have to space and has an old clientele that stick to the more traditional brands that take up a ton of space in his small humidor. So newer stuff I get online and then my regular smokes I get from him.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #40
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

I don't frequent B&M's often, but when I do go into one (any one), I always buy at least one cigar. I think they serve a purpose and I like to support them (a little anyway.)

I agree completely with R. Agent.
I really cannot understand anybody getting upset over pricing at any one shop. Short of wide-spread collusion, I say let the market do its thing. I, and the other patrons, will judge with our wallets.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote