Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #301
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Let's see those '11 gardens!

Whoa, Tim, that's insane. Hope all is well.

BTW, I tilled the garden Monday and planted curly leaf mustard, purple top rutabagas, collards, and cabbage. Kept my GIANT jalapeno and bell pepper plants, as they are still producing well.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #302
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

Four ft of water in the basement but looks like it's starting to recede now. I took the picture after I had finished bringing everything up from the basement that I could. There was nothing more I could do so I hung out on the back deck with some coffee and a La Riqueza and watched the susquehanna river flow through the back yard. If the tackle wasn't under water in the basement I would have dropped in a line - the river's good for muskies and smallmouth but I usually have to walk to get to them.
As for the beets I'll definitely try them after the water goes back where it belongs if they didn't wash away.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #303
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Wow Tim, thats a bummer. I hope it all turns out ok.
And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #304
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

beans looking good!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #305
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Hmmm....beans! Good job, Hugh.

Here's a couple of shots I took this evening. I've got 12 Blue Max collards, 4 Wakefield cabbage, 4 Catskill Brussel sprouts, a few short rows of curly mustard and a few short rows of purple top rutabagas. Didn't want to plant too much as my dad has hundreds of each planted and I know every visit to him will end with a car full of greens. I swear he feeds half his town and all of his immediate family.

Everything here is going along nicely.

Still getting bell peppers and jalapenos weekly.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #306
BC-Axeman

How my garden looks now.

A nice pear tree killed by a gopher. The roots looked like a beaver chewed on them under the ground.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #307
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Here is my fall garden so far:

The Contender green beans and soybeans are on the right side of the SFG. And the California Wonder Bell peppers are on the left.

The Tomato to the left in the nursery pot is one of the many jjirons sent me. It's a Orange Oxheart. The one in the nursery pot to the right is the Old German. Both doing well.

You can see the stalks of the remaining sunflowers my daughter and I planted. We already cut the heads and they are drying as we speak.

Here is a closer up of the SFG:

Here are a few blooms on the Orange Oxheart:

Here are the bell peppers. I counted 16 on one of the seven plants.

I had some bug problems early on, but I found a life saver. It's called Garden safe vegetable. It kills everything I have encountered so far.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #308
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Lance, your tomatoes look lke they faired about as good as mine this year....Withered and weak. Another sub-par growing season plagued w/ cold foggy nights and cooler day time temps. We are just getting a heat wave now...to little too late. Oh well, next year.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #309
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot I had a garden. It started with this cold rainy crap, so it should be finished up very soon. We might still get some really tough tomatoes, but I'd say that's about it.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #310
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Lance, your tomatoes look like they fared about as good as mine this year....Withered and weak. Another sub-par growing season plagued w/ cold foggy nights and cooler day time temps. We are just getting a heat wave now...too little too late. Oh well, next year.
All the tomatoes looked weak except one, at the end by the corn, pouring out into the walk way. That was a volunteer, looks like a Roma.
And yeah, I may just grow cold varieties next year.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #311
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

The only Toms that grew well for me this year were the Yellow Boys and I love em. Bell Peppers did decent too I guess. Tomatillos pumped out early but already have some sort of mildew on them.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #312
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

No pics of my garden, as it is ragged and ugly. But it produced a couple bushels of tomatoes, too many zucchini and enough green peppers, jalepenos, chilis and onions to make salsa and chili for most of the winter. All canned up now, it's getting in cold in MN.
mkarnold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #313
hotreds

Bolivar

Beans turning!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #314
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
The Tomato to the left in the nursery pot is one of the many jjirons sent me. It's a Orange Oxheart. The one in the nursery pot to the right is the Old German. Both doing well.

Ah, the pride only a father can feel!

Good job growing those babies from seed, Wayne. Can't wait to see your giant tomato garden this coming spring!! Wait until you plant one of those potato leaf varieties - it's quite a unique-looking plant.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #315
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC

Raining all day here. I knew I should've fertilized my yard this weekend. Hindsight...

Garden looks good, though. Still harvesting tons of peppers and my greens are coming right along.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #316
BC-Axeman

I'm getting raspberries and strawberries. The potatoes are regrowing from whatever was still in the ground tomatoes and squash are still going, beans are making a second effort. Still getting cukes too. Peppers never got going this year. We had excellent eggplant parmesan a couple of nights ago, now that it's October.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #317
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC

Too late in the day for a picture - I picked 12 large, beautiful bell peppers. Also crushed the jalapenos with over 100 picked - some big suckers, too. My basket ranneth over. I'm putting them up tomorrow night. Need some more lids for my pint jars. Still have 4 jars from last November that are quite tasty. I'm been sharing them on and off with co-workers and friend. Nothing says love like a jar of hot peppers!

Had to dust my collards. F'ing worm invasion on a few of them over the weekend when I was out of town. Doesn't take long before those buggers can get out of check. The greens are otherwise doing very well and are getting huge.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:44 AM   #318
BC-Axeman

We had a hot spell here that turned the tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers back on. With luck they will ripen before a cold snap hits them.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #319
hotreds

Bolivar

Down they go!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #320
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Cool pics