Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 02-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Pierogi

Since I made a couple batches last weekend, thought I'd share my recipe. These can be time consuming, so it's worth it to make a couple batches of dough and different fillings.

Dough

4c Flour, all purpose
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1c warm water (you may need a bit more depending on the moisture content of the flour
1 egg whisked, room temp

Add all dry ingredients to a stand mixer, turn on low speed, then add egg mixing for about 15 seconds to incorporate, then slowly add water. Add as much as needed so dough comes together and pulls away from side of bowl. The dough should be a little sticky. Use dough hook attachment and knead for 5-7 mins. Remove hook and cover bowl with plastic wrap and set inside fridge for 30mins to 2 hours.

Fillings

Beef and Mushroom Filling
1lb ground beef
1 large carrot finely grated
1 large onion finely grated
1lb assorted mushrooms, cleaned and finely chopped (I used a food processor and pulsed them about 6-8 times to a fine chop)
1/2 tsp fresh thyme (1/4 if using dried)
1 tbsp butter
salt & pepper to taste

Brown beef in skillet. When about halfway done add the onion/carrots and continue sauteing. Season to taste when beef is completely cooked. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.

In a saute pan, melt butter over medium heat. Drop heat to low, add mushrooms and thyme and saute over low heat for about 35-40 minutes. You want to slowly cook out any moisture in the mushrooms but not looking to brown very much. It should take on a paste like consistency. Season to taste. Transfer to bowl with beef filling and mix thoroughly. Will fill about 24-30 pierogi depending on size.

Potato and Cheese filling
1.5 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 chunks
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2-3 tbsp butter
1/4 milk
2-3 bacon slices, browned and crumbled (optional)
salt & pepper to taste

Put potatoes in small pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until knife stuck into the center comes out without any resistance, about 8-10mins. Drain and add to a bowl. While hot, add butter and mash. Add milk and mix until you have basically mashed potatoes. You want a stiff consistency. Mix in cheese and bacon (if using) and adjust seasonings. Set aside to cool. Makes enough filling for about 24 pierogi depending upon size.

Remove dough from fridge and cut into quarters. Place 3 of the quarters back in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Roll out remaining quarter on a well floured surface to a thickness of 1/8in. Use something about 4inches in diameter to cut as many circles out of the rolled out dough. I used a plastic container, but anything like a small can or round pastry cutter would work. Fill each circle, just off center, with about 1 heaping tsp of your filling of choice. Fold each circle in half to make a half moon shape. Using the tines of a fork, crimp the edges together to seal. Dip the tines in extra bench flour to stop from sticking to the dough. Repeat process with each remaining quarter of dough. The scraps can be reformed into a new ball and rolled out one more time. After that, the dough will become too tough. Each batch of dough makes approx 24-30 pierogi depending on size.

Gently drop pierogi into a pot of boiling water. Once the pierogi float to the top, continue cooking for 3-4 more minutes to cook dough all of the way through. When finished cooking, remove from water and set on sheet pan to cool. At this point, you can eat them straight out of the water or fry up with some butter and onions and top with a dollop of sour cream.

Enjoy!

Traditionally in our family, the beef and mushroom fillings were left separate. I just combined them as they taste good together. Also, have fun experimenting with different ingredients for the fillings. For my potato/cheese filing I used Zingerman's Aged Vermont Cheddar and homemade guanciale (jowl bacon). My mushrooms were a mix of white button and shitake.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Pierogi

Never had it but it sounds scrumptious.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Lived a long time in Cleveland, where pierogies, sauted in butter and onions with fried perch are a staple Friday bar food. mmmmmmm!
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
Lived a long time in Cleveland, where pierogies, sauted in butter and onions with fried perch are a staple Friday bar food. mmmmmmm!
Mmm, fried perch. I think I have a pack in the freezer I'll need to fry up.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

Pierogi