Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 06-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of
Default NHL Great Rod Brind'Amour Retires!

A bittersweet day...

Thanks, Roddy, for the 2006 Cup.

"In Rod We Trust."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533287

Quote:
* Completed his 21st NHL season and 10th with the Hurricanes
* Ranked first among Hurricanes and third in the league in face-off percentage (58.8%)
* Assisted on Yelle's goal vs. ATL (11/27) to move into sole possession of second place in franchise history in assists (295)

* OFF THE RADAR: Rod hosts an annual golf tournament in his hometown of Campbell River, B.C., benefiting Cystic Fibrosis

* HURRICANES CAREER TOTALS: 694 gp, 174-299-473, 398 pim
Centennial Cup All-Star Team (1988) Centennial Cup MVP (1988)CCHA Rookie of the Year (1989) NHL All-Rookie Team (1990) Frank J. Selke Trophy (2006, 2007) Played in NHL All-Star Game (1992) Traded to Philadelphia by St.Louis with Dan Quinn for Ron Sutter and Murray Baron, September 22, 1991. Traded to Carolina by Philadelphia with Jean-Marc Pelletier and Philadelphia's 2nd round choice (later traded to Colorado Colorado selected Agris Saviels) in 2000 Entry Draft for Keith Primeau and Carolina's 5th round choice (later traded to NY Islanders NY Islanders selected Kristofer Ottosson) in 2000 Entry Draft, January 23, 2000. Signed as a free agent by Kloten (Swiss), February 16, 2005.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: NHL Great Rod Brind'Amour Retires!

I always liked Brind'Amour, even when he played for the archrival Blues in the old Norris Division. Tough as nails, yet a class act. Glad he was able to hoist the Cup in Carolina.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Brind'Amour has long been one of my favorite players! Of course his nose alone should be enough to convince young players to wear the full shield as long as they can.
Gophernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophernut View Post
Brind'Amour has long been one of my favorite players! Of course his nose alone should be enough to convince young players to wear the full shield as long as they can.
As a hockey player not good enough for the big show, I would glady take his nose if it came with his talent, Steve.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
GHC_Hambone

I was a fan of his as well, he was a solid player who was also good defensively. My favorite kind of hockey player.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

There are certain NHL players I go out of my way to point out to my son as examples of discipline, dedication and fitness, and Rod was one. The dude was the epitome of NHL fitness:

and:

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote