Old 10-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #381
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation
Default Re: 2014 MLB Thread

I remember Delmon Young killing the Yankees in October when he was on the Tigers.
Guess he hasn't lost his touch!
Old 10-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #382
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
For you Tom, I hope they win 😀
Old 10-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #383
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Can the Tigers bullpen really be that bad??
They've killed them a lot this year Mac.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #384
ChicagoWhiteSox

Cards and Dodgers game is going to be fun to watch⚾️
Old 10-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #385
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Tigers getting what they deserve, why would Ausmus come back with Jaba?

I could be a KC fan by Sunday night.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #386
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
Fixed it for you, Tom.

Tremendous game last night.
It was probably my first time watching the Royals all year.
What a scrappy team. They're going to be a tough out in the playoffs.
The way they scratched out runs last night left me impressed, and they are relentless on the base paths.
They will be well equipped to play in the tight, well pitched games of October.
Provided their starting pitching keeps them in it.

Once Melvin went to Hammel, I thought the game was over.
That's too tough of a spot to have a starting pitcher come in as a reliever.

Somebody should ask Billy Beane if he's inventing a new stat to explain what happened to his team. Maybe WWH, Wins Without Heart?
He clearly traded the heart of his club away when he dealt Cespedes, and they played like it down the stretch.
For his part, Lester has to do a better job than he did last night. That was the type of game he was brought in to win.

I'm interested to see where the postseason goes from here.
Hopefully tonight in Pittsburgh will be just as fun.
Personally glad the A's got knocked out, hate to see them throw Lester back out there for complete game after complete game in the playoffs, he has to be ready to pitch in Boston next year.

On a semi-related note, good to see old friend Jake Peavy get the win today. Had no complaints about him in Boston, he was just what they needed in the post season and I'm pretty sure they scored one run for him all year this year, maybe 2, but not 3, 3 is right out.

Quote:
Tigers getting what they deserve, why would Ausmus come back with Jaba?
He's a fan of Duck Dynasty, maybe?

Last edited by AdamJoshua; 10-03-2014 at 06:02 PM.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:27 AM   #387
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

So far the Postseason has been great, but, my God, the managing has been awful.
The Tigers paid dearly for their managers mistakes.
Game 1, you go to your bullpen guys in their roles. I get it. But you can't go back to them in game 2
Dombrowski has to take a hit too.
His team is a perennial playoff competitor, but he's has the same problem every year.
The bullpen has been his Achilles heel.

I amazed Ned Yost even has a job in baseball. Iv'e never seen a manager that couldn't get out of his own way like this.
I have no idea how the Royals won 89 games, let alone 4 playoff games, with him at the helm.
I was glad to see the Royals move on. They also seem to hit a bit more than I thought, and the numbers suggest.
After watching them steal bases and bunt, down 4 runs in the 8th, against the A's, I didn't think they had any pop.
They scratched out the first 2 games, but they did manage to homer in them, and last night they decided to hit 2.

And Finally Matt Williams.
This guy probably made the worst postseason decision since Grady Little decided to leave Pedro in.
Was he watching Zimmerman pitch, or taking a nap in the clubhouse?

Sometimes I think the feel for the game is going out.
Managers today are so beholden to their stat sheets, lefty-lefty matchups and bullpen roles that they no longer see what's right in front of them.
Some of these guys, like Yost, when called upon to make a decision that isn't in their playbook have no idea how to improvise. We saw that with Ausmus too, when he went back to Joba.
It's the same nonsense they use to justify when they sit a hot bat against a pitcher he's struggled against in the past.
Stuff like that drives me crazy.

So, with the remaining teams left, I'm hoping for a KC - St. Louis World Series.
How about you?
Old 10-06-2014, 05:58 AM   #388
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

All great points Dom. I'm waiting on the press conference to say the Tigers have fired Ausmus...HORRIBLE job. Don't have a clue what Williams was doing...Zimmerman is tossing a three hitter with two out in the 9th and you take him out. WTF????

As for KC, I love a scrappy team. And Baltimore has looked really good.

Although STL is a baseball machine, I'm sick of seeing them play in the Fall Classic, but not so sure the Dodgers can hold them off.

Always good to see different teams in the post season...maybe next year my Mets will be that different team.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #389
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Quote:
Always good to see different teams in the post season...maybe next year my Mets will be that different team.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #390
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

Quote:
maybe next year my Mets will be that different team.
I think the Mets can go to the World Series next year!

All they have to do is buy tickets!

Old 10-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #391
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Game 1, you go to your bullpen guys in their roles. I get it. But you can't go back to them in game 2
His team is a perennial playoff competitor, but he's has the same problem every year.
Spot on, Dom.

Quote:
All great points Dom. I'm waiting on the press conference to say the Tigers have fired Ausmus...HORRIBLE job.
Wonder what Jim Leyland is doing next year?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 10-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #392
gravel
Still Washing My Back

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (3)
HdM
gravel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So, with the remaining teams left, I'm hoping for a KC - St. Louis World Series.
How about you?
SF - Bal.

Thats a lot of Orange and Black.
gravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #393
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

KC - Dodgers for this guy.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #394
ChicagoWhiteSox

Bullpen really took a dump on the Tigers. I think the 2015 roster is going to be much different in Detroit. Max will probably walk, seeing as he'll likely be a $30 million/year guy. Victor may go as well, but if you're a Detroit fan I'd think he'd be the first guy to sign back. Kinda the heart of the team.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #395
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I would be ecstatic if they bring VMart back, but unfortunately I don't think it will happen.

Maybe they can take the 20+ million they save on Max and buy themselves a real bullpen.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #396
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Great games last night. Well, the Tigers/Orioles was good up until the Tigers bullpen took over in the 8th.
That's been the chorus in Detroit since April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07
Can the Tigers bullpen really be that bad??
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone
So far the Postseason has been great, but, my God, the managing has been awful.

Unfortunately yes, yes they ARE that bad. Some want to run Dave Dombrowski (GM) out of town but you have to think about it. If last year someone said our bad bullpen would be adding Joba, Soria, Nathan, and Johnson for the upcoming season, you would have expected improvement. Clearly that wasn't the case.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #397
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I would be ecstatic if they bring VMart back, but unfortunately I don't think it will happen.

Maybe they can take the 20+ million they save on Max and buy themselves a real bullpen.
The Tigers will be in big trouble offensively if VMart doesn't come back. Miggy will get walked 100+ times.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #398
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
If last year someone said our bad bullpen would be adding Joba, Soria, Nathan, and Johnson for the upcoming season, you would have expected improvement.
I'm not trying to pick on the Tigers or their GM, but every one of those guys is or was damaged goods.
Nathan probably had the best track record of the lot, but he's always been terrible in a big spot. Nathan has a bit of Trevor Hoffman in him.
Dombrowski signed players with a potential upside, but with just as big of a downside IMO.

Another great night of baseball!
I don't know if I ever saw a ballpark as electric as Busch was in the 7th after Adams hit that HR.
Feeling bad for Mattingly this morning. He's probably going to get killed by the fans, and some in the media, plus he might find himself without a job.
The truth of the matter is, he went down with the best pitcher in baseball on the mound, twice.
FWIW, the Dodgers need to get Puig off of that team. As great as he can be, he's a cancer.

Watching the SF game, after Posey singles in the 7th, with Pence and Sandoval coming up, I say to myself they're going to break it open and take the lead.
They got the lead, but it was Washington that handed it to them. Sandoval or Pence didn't even make contact, and next thing you know, they were winning.
FWIW, I though Washington looked tight after the 2nd. I thought Matt Williams made a mistake by getting a pitcher up in the pen.
I know it's an elimination game, and you don't want it to get away from you, but the situation they were in wasn't because Gio was pitching bad.
I just feel like hit hit the panic button too early, and his team played tight after that.
Williams won't be long for DC, especially if he can't get along with Harper. Harper was the only Nat that didn't tighten up.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #399
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

This Royals team is relentless.
I keep waiting for the wheels to come off and for them to fall apart, but they just keep coming.
Game 1, 7th inning, after the caught stealing, and two of the worst called strike threes I've ever seen, I thought they were coming undone.
I'm criticizing Yost for not keeping his players calm and backing them up, particularly Cain, who I thought was going to get ejected.
But they just keep battling!
I'd like to think the O's are going to get a game in KC because they keep coming back, but after yesterday, it's starting to feel like they're a dog chasing its tail.

Last edited by jonumberone; 10-12-2014 at 07:50 AM.
jonumberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #400
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
This Royals team is relentless.
I keep waiting for the wheels to come off and for them to fall apart, but they just keep coming.
Game 1, 7th inning, after the caught stealing, and two of the worst called strike threes I've ever seen, I thought they were coming undone.
I'm criticizing Yost for not keeping his players calm and backing them up, particularly Cain, who I thought was going to get ejected.
But they just keep battling!
I'd like to think the O's are going to get a game in KC because they keep coming back, but after yesterday, it's starting to feel like they're a dog chasing its tail.

it would be nice if the bats didn't go cold with RISP for the Orioles. 3 times in the first 2 games they have the bases loaded and can't get a run across the plate.

that's frustrating.