Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation
Default Ambient humidity and seasonal behavior changes

This topic may not apply to everyone here. If you keep your cigars in coolers you are pretty much immune to the 20-40% drop in humidity in areas of the country where we need to heat.

I experience a dramatic change this time of year in maintenance issues related to humidification. All summer long its a once a month reload of the CO's. Environment where I keep things is always 70 degrees. Have 40 lbs of beads spread around in things that I don't recharge all summer. Inside temp of the cabs is always 68 degrees. Seems simple enough.

Humidity in the summer ranges from 55-60% in the office. This makes for easy humi maintenance. Well heating season just started. The humidity in dropped from 50 to 30% in a week. Humidity in the cabs dropped from 64 to 60% in a couple days last mont. Happens every year. Capacity is good, but less than optimally sealed former cigar club cabinets are a pain during the winter. High end electronically controlled cabinets probably are not affected much other than the need to keep up with the reservoirs. The rest of us have more work to do. Turned on the humidification system on the furnace and got the office back up to 42%.

Adjusted the CO II's to the winter setting. Charged the beads for the first time since June. Need to keep up with this now on a weekly basis till springtime.

Thought I'd post this as this time of year many people start posting about their cigars not tasting the same/ flat / losing their palate. Every system (Other than coolers) is affected in some way. Might be that your cigars are a few points different in RH than they have been during the summer and you need to adjust your humidification settings/process.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Ambient humidity and seasonal behavior changes

Thanks for the info Dave

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Thanks for the info Dave
Sorry it's a month late. Had to find my original on the HD.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
SilverFox

Thanks Dave awesome advise as usual.

For me it was very significantly different in my Vino's, the coolers where not impacted and it makes sense after reading your OP as they are a fully sealed environment. In the winter Calgary gets a wide variance of temps and teh RH is low. My Vino's dropped 5 points over night when the temperature bottomed out and they had not moved since maybe July and required hardly any maintenance. Now it is a daily watch to ensure that the beads are doing there thing.

I think this is the main reason I like to be well above the minimum beads for the volume as it allows the beads to maintain equilibrium in larger swings.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

I had rh issues when I had my humis upstairs, but since moving them to the basement, it's holding pretty steady. Once a month, maybe, for rehydrating and the temp is pretty constant year-round.
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the tips...

My cabinet has a decent seal, but I'm still refilling my Avallo once every two weeks.

One thing I've been hypothesizing about which could also effect the winter cigar woes is that the humidity drift can throw off digital hygrometers and will require more frequent calibrating.

I have two hygros in my cabinet at all times. Three if you include the Avallo. I noticed a few serious drifts that clued me into the fact that I needed to recalibrate rather then change any other aspect of my setup.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
shaggy
just pokin around.....

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
shaggy will become famous soon enough

i have taken to just putting a container of water in.....been so dry here they really dont get over 62-63 %
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Yep, constant maintenence required this time of year. One PITA is that my Humid-aire sensor went all screwy so it's either on all the time or off all the time, so I got to turn it on for a bit every day by hand to keep things kosher. Things should return to normal in these parts in about two months though.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

Had to recharge my beads for the first time since I've gotten them (~2 months). Bit of a struggle to keep my humi at 60%. The cooler, however, sits at 68%.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
blckthree

Discovered the same thing myself when the heat came on regularly, the humidty dropped and required more maintanance.

Mike
Old 01-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
ahc4353

It's all I can do to keep mine at 60. I have just one desktop. Can't bring myself to do the cooler thing. Like wood humidors. One day I'm gonna get one of those nice end table ones. I'll battle with that one in the winter as well I guess. Old school is hard work.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Great information, Dave.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
Rock Star
Mike Hawk for President

First Name: Freddy
Trading: (1)
Rock Star is on a distinguished road

yeah dave..this has been the toughest year for me to keep my unit stable..its been all over the place..
Old 01-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
This topic may not apply to everyone here. If you keep your cigars in coolers you are pretty much immune to the 20-40% drop in humidity in areas of the country where we need to heat.

I experience a dramatic change this time of year in maintenance issues related to humidification. All summer long its a once a month reload of the CO's. Environment where I keep things is always 70 degrees. Have 40 lbs of beads spread around in things that I don't recharge all summer. Inside temp of the cabs is always 68 degrees. Seems simple enough.

Humidity in the summer ranges from 55-60% in the office. This makes for easy humi maintenance. Well heating season just started. The humidity in dropped from 50 to 30% in a week. Humidity in the cabs dropped from 64 to 60% in a couple days last mont. Happens every year. Capacity is good, but less than optimally sealed former cigar club cabinets are a pain during the winter. High end electronically controlled cabinets probably are not affected much other than the need to keep up with the reservoirs. The rest of us have more work to do. Turned on the humidification system on the furnace and got the office back up to 42%.

Adjusted the CO II's to the winter setting. Charged the beads for the first time since June. Need to keep up with this now on a weekly basis till springtime.

Thought I'd post this as this time of year many people start posting about their cigars not tasting the same/ flat / losing their palate. Every system (Other than coolers) is affected in some way. Might be that your cigars are a few points different in RH than they have been during the summer and you need to adjust your humidification settings/process.
Thank you for the very timely post. I sat at a solid 65% for most of the year and now am pretty much stuck at 60~61%.

One question related to what I bolded above...How much higher than your typical fair weather months' setting do you dial up your CO II?
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

You have 40 POUNDS of beads!!!! I think I could regulate my house with 40 lbs. of beads.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #16
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
Thank you for the very timely post. I sat at a solid 65% for most of the year and now am pretty much stuck at 60~61%.

One question related to what I bolded above...How much higher than your typical fair weather months' setting do you dial up your CO II?
Depends on which one. Varies on the section or cab. Anywhere from 12 to 1 to 12 to 2:30.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #17
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think mine have changed much.

Maybe I better go have a better look.

Thanks for the useful info Klugs.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #18
Prefy
Connoisseur of Pucks

First Name: Matt
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Prefy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
i have taken to just putting a container of water in.....been so dry here they really dont get over 62-63 %
I have resorted to the same thing mike!
Prefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #19
Throb
Out of the Ocean!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
Throb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
You have 40 POUNDS of beads!!!! I think I could regulate my house with 40 lbs. of beads.
That's what I thought!!!

1.5 pounds in my Vino, but I find in FL, very little difference between summer and winter. Its been cold here the last few weeks...Down to the 40s at night (not being smug, but that is cold for these parts) In the last year since buying my Vino, I've recharged my beads twice, at it was really only a spritzing of water on them.

RH in the house is anywhere from 50-70% and Temps are always around 65-75...The wife likes it at 70 in the house in the summer! You can only imaging what my AC bill is when its 95 from May to Oct!
Throb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #20
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Its the crazy layout of the cigar club wall unit I bought plus all the other places I keep cigars.... coolers, old cab, humidors etc. Kind of creeps up on you.. till you need to recharge them.