Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #21
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Oh, No!!!!!

Greg, hope you can kick this crud quickly with the doctor's advice....although, glad the smoking advice is temporary.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #22
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear about this Greg. Hope you can get this cleared up soon.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:51 AM   #23
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the Advice & Well wishes, Friends! Feeling much better this morning, although I didn't sleep very well last nite. Chest congestion is much improved and no heartburn/reflux noted. Need to get on an exercise regime, now!
longknocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:11 AM   #24
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Poronico will become famous soon enoughPoronico will become famous soon enough

A really good non medicinal way to alleviate Acid reflux is raw almonds. chew and swallow 2-4 raw almonds and give it about 45 seconds heartburn will go away due to the natural oils in the nuts.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Well, Inmates, I've done it now. Let myself go too long. Thought I had a persistent cold with chronic cough, sore throat, and occasional heartburn. Saw an ENT friend of mine today and He diagnosed me with "Acid Reflux"! Apparently one of the common symptons is a constant need to clear your throat and "hoarseness", as well as sore throat. He put me on some antibiotics, steroids, bronchodilators for my chest, and Nexium. Recommendations are:

1. Lose any extra weight. (Need to definitely do that!)
2. Don't work out near bedtime. (What's a "Workout"?)
3. Limit alcohol, caffeine, and fizzy beverages. (Is there anything else you can drink?)
4. Don't Smoke!

Just thought I would pass this along for any inmates who might be having similar symptoms.

Thanks for listening!

Greg
Old 09-18-2009, 03:17 AM   #25
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poronico View Post
A really good non medicinal way to alleviate Acid reflux is raw almonds. chew and swallow 2-4 raw almonds and give it about 45 seconds heartburn will go away due to the natural oils in the nuts.

Good Luck!
Thanks, Jesse!
Old 09-18-2009, 04:27 AM   #26
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Get better, Greg. Clear them lungs up for the YBOR, my friend.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:29 AM   #27
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
Get better, Greg. Clear them lungs up for the YBOR, my friend.
Thanks, Brother! I might need to pace myself in
"Training" for That One!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #28
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Almonds, hmmmm I never knew.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #29
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

First Name: Jesse
Bolivar
Poronico will become famous soon enoughPoronico will become famous soon enough

its a well kept family secret my dad used to have ulcers really really bad. To the point drinking water would give him reflux, one of his buddies at work let him in on some ancient remedy and 8 months later his ulcers were gone.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #30
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

As one who has acid reflux for a decade or more, I can tell you that Protonix or Prevacid are your friends.
Posted via Mobile Device
BlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #31
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Feel better soon Greg, and do what I do in the future - stay the hell away from doctors! If they don't kill you outright, they will kill all the joy in your life, so what's the point of living anyway?

No offense to the doctors on this board - I'm sure you're the exceptions.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #32
gui_tarzan

I had GERD for 15 years Greg, whatever you do don't let this go. I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus in 2000 and had surgery to tighten up a weak stomach sphincter valve that December. That stuff will tear up your pipes, get into your lungs and just make life miserable. At my five year checkup and scope my doc said there was no sign of Barrett's anymore. Whew!

I went without heartburn for nine years and started having bad attacks again this summer so I went back to see him. An xray shows I have a minor hiatal hernia opening up again so I'm back on the Prilosec which is working very well.

Take care of yourself!
Old 09-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #33
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Sorry for the bad news, Bro!!!

I would rather die than give up anything on the list... except exercise!!!

Stay strong!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #34
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Greg,all the best. I wish I could offer you some advice but I could lose 30 pound, smoke regularly, watch TV before bed and drink alcohol whenever possible. Hope you get better though.
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #35
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear about this.

Hope you recover fully quickly brother.

I'll smoke on your behalf....does that make you feel any better?
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #36
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
Sorry to hear about this.

Hope you recover fully quickly brother.

I'll smoke on your behalf....does that make you feel any better?
Of Course! I know you're smoking an RP, right? Need to get well before Nov. 13th!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #37
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Of Course! I know you're smoking an RP, right? Need to get well before Nov. 13th!
I am and will be. I'm holding an RP Decade Torpedo for you!
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #38
TideRoll
It is what it is.

First Name: Tim
Partagas
TideRoll is on a distinguished road

GERD sufferer here, too. Having had reflux, you can discover small things that the rest of the world might not pick up on, such as the taste of stomach acid, how to sound like that guy who used to do movie intros without intending to, the fact that if you eat enough Rolaids you will be constipated.

Protonix, Prilosec, Nexium... There are several acid pump inhibitors that do a truly wonderful job on it and approach the problem from a completely different angle than what our parents had to deal with this problem. It was transformative for me. I'm not normally a big fan of a lot of pills, but they can make your life much, much easier. If you can find a natural remedy that works for you fine, but these are wonder drugs so far as I am concerned. Long-term acid reflux can lead to increased incidence of cancers in the upper GI tract, so I wouldn't monkey around with fixing it.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:22 AM   #39
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
I am and will be. I'm holding an RP Decade Torpedo for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideRoll View Post
GERD sufferer here, too. Having had reflux, you can discover small things that the rest of the world might not pick up on, such as the taste of stomach acid, how to sound like that guy who used to do movie intros without intending to, the fact that if you eat enough Rolaids you will be constipated.

Protonix, Prilosec, Nexium... There are several acid pump inhibitors that do a truly wonderful job on it and approach the problem from a completely different angle than what our parents had to deal with this problem. It was transformative for me. I'm not normally a big fan of a lot of pills, but they can make your life much, much easier. If you can find a natural remedy that works for you fine, but these are wonder drugs so far as I am concerned. Long-term acid reflux can lead to increased incidence of cancers in the upper GI tract, so I wouldn't monkey around with fixing it.
Thanks for the Advice & Info, Brother! I have a good friend at work that has Barrett's esophagus or something similar to it and can only eat very small portions of certain foods every day. He is basically miserable 24/7 no matter what he does. I certainly don't want to get to that stage. I'm going to lose 30# and keep it off this time. Haven't had a cigar in 2 days. Also going to start a regular exercise program when I get this chest crud cleared up. All in All, it's been a wake-up call for me to change my ways to improve my quality of life! Thanks again everyone for the well wishes and great advice!

Greg
Old 09-19-2009, 05:23 AM   #40
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by gui_tarzan View Post
I had GERD for 15 years Greg, whatever you do don't let this go. I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus in 2000 and had surgery to tighten up a weak stomach sphincter valve that December. That stuff will tear up your pipes, get into your lungs and just make life miserable. At my five year checkup and scope my doc said there was no sign of Barrett's anymore. Whew!

I went without heartburn for nine years and started having bad attacks again this summer so I went back to see him. An xray shows I have a minor hiatal hernia opening up again so I'm back on the Prilosec which is working very well.

Take care of yourself!
Thanks for the advice, Brother, and stay healthy yourself!