Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2016, 10:48 PM   #1
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Challenger, Thirty Years Ago?

It doesn't seem possible that it's been thirty years. I was 15 years old and had just gotten home from school, turned on the TV and saw that the Space Shuttle had broken apart. I cried watching the newscast. As I often did during that time of my life, I turned to music to try and cope with the tragedies that we're often unequipped to deal with. About a year before I had gotten in to Rush and had recently picked up Signals. It contained the song 'Countdown', which celebrates the US space program and is a chronicle of a shuttle launch.

Rush - Countdown

I've never been able to hear it since without thinking of the Challenger.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:56 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Challenger, Thirty Years Ago?

I was a senior at Northern Illinois University. I was in a large lounge in the student center between classes watching with a couple hundred other students. One of those moments you never forget, as hard as you may try.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:41 PM   #3
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I lived in Satellite Beach, yup named that because of our proximity to Canaveral / Kennedy. I was actually on the beach watching it when it blew up, had to ride my bike home right away to turn on the news, we all knew something happened, we had seen all the launches before that and ... it was quite different. The explosion was incredible and the shockwave shook the ground for a few seconds, everything was shaking and rattling.

While watching it on the news I was looking out our front window and you could see the pieces falling from the sky, the little contrails spiraling down, we lived about 1/2 mile from the beach, they had a lot of the beaches closed off while they collected pieces that washed up, one of the helmets that washed up and was in all the papers was found right behind a friend's house, Patrick Air Force Base was a couple miles from the house, that's where they brought all the pieces and assembled them in one of the hangers. That accident really shut down all the towns along the beach, most people either were in the Air Force or worked at Kennedy, a lot of people were out of work for a long time.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:30 AM   #4
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Junior year at Boston University. It was a big deal in our area because Kristia McAuliffe was from Framingham, MA and was teaching in New Hampshire. Remember watching the explosion and not fully comprehending what was happening at the time. Lots of silence after that.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:45 AM   #5
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

I watched it from my cousins back yard in Melbourne FL even felt the explosion there. Went in to watch the news and see what was going on and not even 2 hours later they were announcing beach closures around that area.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:25 AM   #6
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

7th Grade in astronomy club. Still makes me a bit sad.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:14 AM   #7
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Hard to believe it was that long ago. I was working my first "real" engineering job and sat at a window looking south. I happened to look out the window just in time to see it explode. The way the cloud of smoke hung in the air forever was the eeriest thing I think I have ever witnessed...

As it turns out, the lady that would later be my wife was sitting in a science class and her teacher had been one of the finalists to be the teacher that was on the crew.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I was watching on the news before going to work, thinking that this could not be real.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #9
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

I was 11. My brother and I were home from school for some reason - maybe a snow day. We shared a room at the time and were excitedly watching the live launch on our tiny black/white tv. We were stunned and speechless when we saw the shuttle blow up.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #10
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Junior in high school. We weren't watching it live, but as soon as we all heard, kids were gathering around in the rooms that had tvs. It hit close to home, as Ron McNair was from Lake City, SC (the biggest celebrity in our local area). They have a memorial in front of the public library now. It was even worse when we learned some of them could have survived the explosion and would've had to ride it out to splashdown. Very sad.