Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 03-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #1321
gravel
Still Washing My Back

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (3)
HdM
gravel will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?

The DIPA has been transferred to secondary to sit another 9 weeks before dry hopping for one week.
The coffee stout and steam clone have been in the bottles for two weeks, time to try them out!
gravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #1322
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

This weekend I brewed an IPA with Citra & Galaxy hops
Old 04-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #1323
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
This weekend I brewed an IPA with Citra & Galaxy hops
Nice, let me know how that comes out. I have a IPA on deck that i want to dry hop with Galaxy.

Right now im between beers. I have a belgian IPA dry hopped with citra bottle conditioning and Im waiting on the ingredients for a Blackberry Wheat.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #1324
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I want to do a Belgian IPA next. Care to share your recipe?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:42 PM   #1325
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
I want to do a Belgian IPA next. Care to share your recipe?
Certainly:
Ingredients : 8 lb. Belgian Pilsner malt, 1.5 lb. Wheat malt, 8 oz. Cara-20, 4 oz. Acidulated malt, 1 lb. Clear Candi Sugar, 2 oz. Sterling, 3 oz. Ahtanum pellet hops, 2oz. citra hops, Wyeast 3724 Saison yeast.

Used a standard single infusion mash at about 150-155.
Boil: 1.5 oz. sterling @ 60 mins, .5oz sterling 20mins, 1oz ahtanum & belgian candy sugar 15min, 1oz ahtanum 10 mins, 1oz antanum 5 min.

Dry hopped with 2 oz citra for 7 days.

My OG was about 1.066 and FG came in at 1.017. Came out really nice. Just cracked the first bottle last night. The citra added a really nice citrus note to it. Goes nicely with the fruity saison yeast.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #1326
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

Partagas

Just bottled a blackberry wheat beer. Let the wife pick this one out and she helped me brew it. It overwhelmed the air lock and exploded all over my pantry on day 2 of fermentation. Used an American Hefe base put over 3lbs of mashed blackberry in the secondary for 2 weeks. No flavoring added. We shall see how it turned out in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #1327
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

I've got a kolsch in the fermenter right now. Should be ready for a keg this weekend. I've got ingredients for a late-hop pale ale, oatmeal stout and hefeweizen, but need more time to get some brewing done.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #1328
James2014
Just in from the Storm

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
MarineCorps (Active)
James2014 is on a distinguished road

Right now fermenting my "Black IPA" with cascase and frugel Hops that have grown for a few years. CANT WAIT!! Also have a "Smoked Porter" Fermenting as well. It will be a good few months!!
James2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #1329
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

An Irish stout.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #1330
baust55
AUSTIN

First Name: JAMES
Trading: (1)
baust55 is on a distinguished road

hey I am inviting all of you home brewers , beer aficionados to come check out the internet home brewers club THE BREW RATS
COME JOIN check out the virtual PUB CHAT open every weekend . you can chat about home brewing get great expert advise or just chat about craft beers . cigars , guitars , sports , anything .!
fun place to vent ! the web site is www.skotrat,com
or go to the chat directly . get signed up a short wait for a password . there is no annoying auto update . sign in make a post in the chat message box wait awhile and hit chat update button to see resposes or conversations in progress you can ajust the chat scroll amount to keep up if conversation fast or slow .below is think to sign up area . ENJOY
http://www.skotrat.com/go/default/chat/brc/#Rat_Anchor
Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #1331
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Brewed a hefeweizen this weekend and it got a little explosive. Caught it before the pail lid blew off, but made a bit of a mess already.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #1332
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
Brewed a hefeweizen this weekend and it got a little explosive. Caught it before the pail lid blew off, but made a bit of a mess already.
I brewed an american hefe a few months back and it exploded in my pantry. Got krausen all over the ceiling, doors and walls. Sealed it back up and it keep right on going. On the other hand im fermenting a petit saison using White labs farmhouse ale yeast. Its a saison/brett combo.I dont think ive seen a single bubble in the airlock but its now down under 1009. Its amazing the difference in the yeast strain.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #1333
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (0)
jhedrick83 is on a distinguished road

Looking for a bit of advice here. I've been wanting to get into home brewing for a couple of years and I'm hoping start of next year I'll start to have some time to dive in. My question is what level of starter kit should I go with? A simple Mr. Beer, your basic 5 gal. Starter kit or a step up with a 2 stages of fermenting carboys? Do I need a wort chiller or am I good without to start? If it matters I usually drink (and would most likely be making) Porters, Stouts, Irish Reds and the occasional IPA. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
jhedrick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #1334
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Just bottled a Porter. It's my first time doing that style. Now the hard part, waiting...
Old 06-24-2015, 09:29 PM   #1335
badbriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedrick83 View Post
Looking for a bit of advice here. I've been wanting to get into home brewing for a couple of years and I'm hoping start of next year I'll start to have some time to dive in. My question is what level of starter kit should I go with? A simple Mr. Beer, your basic 5 gal. Starter kit or a step up with a 2 stages of fermenting carboys? Do I need a wort chiller or am I good without to start? If it matters I usually drink (and would most likely be making) Porters, Stouts, Irish Reds and the occasional IPA. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
Go with simple, quality materials and equipment. You can start with fermenting in a closed bucket to start with. Eventually, you definitely want to move to fermenting in a glass carboy. difference is that in the bucket, you will not be able to blow-off the fusel oils, which is the byproduct of fermentation. In a closed carboy system, you will blow-off this byproduct, which results in a cleaner tasting beer. Read up on this.
A very important thing to remember when steeping grains is the temperature of the water. The water temperature needs to be no more than 150 to 160 degrees. If you steep above that, you will likely get a bitter note to your beer from tannins leaching from the grain husks.
Another good tip is to look into Wyeast liquid yeast packages. Great stuff! You can make the exact same batch with a different yeast strain and get a very different style beer/ale.
Read up on your hops and their IBU's. Some hops like Cascade and Perle are very bitter and can result in overtopping what otherwise would be a great porter, stout or brown ale. The Noble hops are good ones to start with. Very forgiving, lower in bitterness, can be used for bittering or finish hopping. Great favors, too!
Good luck!
Old 06-27-2015, 08:11 PM   #1336
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Argentinian Malbec w/ grape skins (WinExpert kit)
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #1337
bkv04fsu

Coffee Porter, Strawberry Blonde, Cookie Monster Stout, & a Hoppy Amber
Old 08-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #1338
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

I forgot all about this thread. I've been getting more and more into homebrewing recently, and have just started all-grain and making/modifying recipes. Currently in the fermenter (brewed last weekend) is an imperial amber, similar to troegs nugget nectar. I also have some double ipa's, similar to lagunita maximus ipa, that were bottled a few weeks ago and are ready to be tested. This one I split into two fermenters and did slightly different dry hopping to try to see what the noticeable difference is. I'm still experimenting around but it's been a lot of fun so far, hopefully we can get a little more movement in this thread, I'm always interested in learning more
Old 08-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #1339
bkv04fsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
I forgot all about this thread. I've been getting more and more into homebrewing recently, and have just started all-grain and making/modifying recipes. Currently in the fermenter (brewed last weekend) is an imperial amber, similar to troegs nugget nectar. I also have some double ipa's, similar to lagunita maximus ipa, that were bottled a few weeks ago and are ready to be tested. This one I split into two fermenters and did slightly different dry hopping to try to see what the noticeable difference is. I'm still experimenting around but it's been a lot of fun so far, hopefully we can get a little more movement in this thread, I'm always interested in learning more
Nice! Yeah, I moved to all grain about a year ago and have never looked back.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #1340
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

I was trying to baby step my way into it, learn one thing really well before moving on to the next. I'm still using my friend's setup for the actual brewing, which he has been piecing together. I keep a lot of good ideas in the back of my mind to make some cool stuff when I end up taking the plunge and building my own setup. For now I live in an apartment with little free space and he has a house a mile away, so I'm fine just using his stuff