Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #901
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Homebrewers - Whats in the fermeter?

You'll be able to make quality brew with that kit, so don't let the decision bug you.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #902
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Didn't have any current codes. I tried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
You'll be able to make quality brew with that kit, so don't let the decision bug you.
Not disputing that-just feel like I could have had a much nicer pot for the same price.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #903
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Do you know what shipping would cost to return? Their return policy seems pretty open to taking a kit back that you aren't happy with, shipping might kill that idea though.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #904
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Racked my Ruination clone to secondary.
Already tastes pretty darn good!
Ended up using 2oz Millenium (!!!), 3 oz Centennial. 2 more Centennial dry hopped today...
Old 01-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #905
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'm kinda disappointed with my order from Midwest. If I had known this was just a standard Brewers Best Deluxe kit with 2 cases of bottles and a cheapo kettle, I would have ordered the kit/bottles/ingredients kit from Bell's General Store for $156.29 shipped and then gotten this kettle http://www.amazon.com/Winware-Stainl...7712164&sr=8-1 (which I'm sure is much better than this one http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homeb...-5-gallon.html ) for just $2 more.
Duane, I think you're gonna do just fine and brew some excellent styles with that set-up.

I had a similar set-up a number of years back, except I purchased a box of 22oz bottles (I just believe in a healthy English pint). Brewed some excellent Bitters and IPA with that gear.

As Charlie Papazian states "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew..."

Old 01-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #906
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
Racked my Ruination clone to secondary.
Already tastes pretty darn good!
Ended up using 2oz Millenium (!!!), 3 oz Centennial. 2 more Centennial dry hopped today...
Julian, that much hops makes me smile.

I pulled a sample off my freshly kegged Black IPA yesterday. Think Hoppy Sweet Dark Chocolate Espresso.
The hop schedule is:
- 1 oz Summit (60 min)
- 1 oz Chinook (15 min)
- 1 oz Centennial (10 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (5 min)
- 1 oz Centennial (0 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (dry hop)
Pretty intense.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #907
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Just cracked the first of my Surly Furious clone beers. Damn good. if I do say so myself. As posted on other threads, if anyone can get me some surly furious to compare, you will be rewarded.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #908
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Just cracked the first of my Surly Furious clone beers. Damn good. if I do say so myself. As posted on other threads, if anyone can get me some surly furious to compare, you will be rewarded.
Any chance of posting the recipe? That's a beer I'd like to have on home tap.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #909
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

My first batch of home brew (Mr. Beer) will be ready at the end of the coming week. I'm really nervous to try it. I followed the instructions, but just hate the idea that it'll be awful. It's the west coast pale ale.

So, has anyone made a batch (that despite doing what you thought to be fully correct anyway) turned out to be just awful because something in the brewing process went wrong?
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #910
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

My first few batches after a long hiatus were with a pal that lived north of me. He had well water. Four batches, same off flavor in all of them. Drinkable, but not enjoyable. I think it was iron, when we switched to brewing at my place the beer got better.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #911
Mikes
Post Whore

Trading: (0)
Mikes is on a distinguished road

TriCerahops IIPA and Zelos IPA came out of a 2 week ferment and have been carbing in the keg for about a week and are pretty damn good. Still think I like the flavor profile of a more citrus based IPA.

Into the fermenter goes 10 gal of Goose Island Honkers Ale and 10 gal of Easy Street Wheat. Still have room for 4 more kegs so over the weekend I built a wooden shelf to place into the garage fridge so that we can lager / make Pilsners / marzens etc.....Just need to get another Johnson temp control and more kegs lol.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #912
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

I kegged a Falconer's Flight IPA last night after adding a fourth (and final) tap to my keezer. I had to bring my co2 tank out to make room and re-run and splice some gas lines, but got it up and running.

At the request of my girlfriend I also experimented with making a partial keg of beergaritas for a party we're having later this month.

They're a mix of limeade concentrate, a couple light beers, a couple cans of Sprite and tequila (I think that's all ... she mixed them so I'm not sure of the ratios). Pretty sweet for my tastes but refreshing.

We mixed up about a gallon and it seemed to work great so it'll be fun to have something on tap for the non-beer drinkers
Old 01-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #913
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road

I bottled my first brew (California-style Pale, probably end up similar to Sierra Nevada) on Saturday. Ended up yielding about 4.6 gallons, which is just slightly more than I anticipated. Yesterday I brewed what is going to be a vanilla bourbon stout and got that into the primary. As of last night the airlock was happily bubbling away, which is always nice to see. I did a yeast starter on this one and I was a little concerned about how that would end up.
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #914
mmblz

Partagas

anyone have a quick "hack" to make a blowoff tube?
making a belgian stout, and between the belgian yeast and tons of malts/malt extracts, worried about an explosion.

all i have is the siphon tube, and a lid with a hole where you can insert a normal water lock.
the hole is roughly the same size as the inside of the siphon tube, so if only i had a little "coupler" of some sort.... any bright ideas?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #915
mmblz

Partagas

here is what started to really worry me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugfub...eature=related
Old 01-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #916
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I removed the grommet from the lid and jammed a hose in it, it fits fairly well. The other end is in a bucket of sanitizer. I usually use the carboy and use the large hose for a blowoff, but wanted to get a couple batches going at the same time. I am not sure it will work well.
Extra pale ale in the keg for secondary today, and Dry Irish stout in the primary (bucket).
I think I may go down to see if I have a mess or not.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #917
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
My first batch of home brew (Mr. Beer) will be ready at the end of the coming week. I'm really nervous to try it. I followed the instructions, but just hate the idea that it'll be awful. It's the west coast pale ale.

So, has anyone made a batch (that despite doing what you thought to be fully correct anyway) turned out to be just awful because something in the brewing process went wrong?
I started with Mr. Beer and it led me on my path I now travel with mutliple fermenters and an outdoor burner for my brew pot. One step will likely lead to another just like with cigar smoking. No matter what....just remember it will still be beer and you can still drink it!

Last summer I brewed a hefeweizen that should have been easy. It was for my wife and she wanted me to try and add macadamia nuts to give it a banna nut flavor. Well, being a bit more inexperienced back then I added salted crushed up macadamia nuts to my secondary fermentation and it turned out horrible. Ruined an entire 5 gallons....but that's how you learn!

Right now I have a maibock that is entering it's final few days in primary fermenation. Brewed it last year and it was amazing!

Just cracked my Sam Adams Black Lager clone and it is mighty tasty!

Keep up with the hobby and the more you read and do the more and more exciting it will become!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #918
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I removed the grommet from the lid and jammed a hose in it, it fits fairly well. The other end is in a bucket of sanitizer. I usually use the carboy and use the large hose for a blowoff, but wanted to get a couple batches going at the same time. I am not sure it will work well.
Extra pale ale in the keg for secondary today, and Dry Irish stout in the primary (bucket).
I think I may go down to see if I have a mess or not.
Did this with my last beer as well.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #919
Mikes
Post Whore

Trading: (0)
Mikes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
Did this with my last beer as well.

I use a 3 piece airlock and run a hose off of it into a pitcher of idaphor water. You just need to snip off the little plastick screen off of the bottom of the barb (I dont know why they even put them there b/c they get clogged) then insert this into the grommet in the lind and run your blow off tube off of the top. Of course this should make an airproof seal but I go ahead and put idaphor water in the 3 piece airlock where the tube slips over the palstic.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #920
mmblz

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes View Post

I use a 3 piece airlock and run a hose off of it into a pitcher of idaphor water. You just need to snip off the little plastick screen off of the bottom of the barb (I dont know why they even put them there b/c they get clogged) then insert this into the grommet in the lind and run your blow off tube off of the top. Of course this should make an airproof seal but I go ahead and put idaphor water in the 3 piece airlock where the tube slips over the palstic.
this is essentially what i was hoping to do but my hose was too small to fit over that tube in the airlock...
first 7 hours, no activity, so maybe i have time to pick up a different hose on my way home tonight.