Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 03-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #21
Cyclone

Default Re: Is 3D being over done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
3D is fantastic for movies like Avatar, that are intended from conception, and produced specifically to be in 3D. The problem comes up with movies like Alice In Wonderland, 3D effects were added as an afterthought, because it would add revenue. With Avatar, its there to enhance the experience, not as a gimmick.

also, IMHO, if you think its a gimmick, and haven't seen Avatar, 10 to 1 says it'll change your mind about 3D movies, so do yourself a favor and go see it.
I agree about Avatar... I was jaded when I went into the theater, but was blown away by the imagery...

The plot kinda sucked though.... think "Dances with Wolves"

I think the whole idea about 3D is gimmicky at best but on occasion it can be well done if designed to shot/produced in 3D from the start.

Agree about the concept of 3D TV's being ridiculous...

In general, there is so LITTLE original and good movies coming out these days... Some of the crap makes you wonder what kind of drugs the Hollywood king-pins are on to "green light" some of the projects... "Dumb and Dumber" being my case in point

I'm waiting for Shrek 3D My 3.5 year old son is going to trip out as it will be his 1st movie experience.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #22
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
3D isn't the end of quality movies, rather, it's beginning of a new era for movie making. It's in it's infancy now and growing by leaps and bounds, you can't judge it this early on. Will it replace 2D movies? Hard to say.
I think it is inevitable that 3D will replace 2D if not an altogether projection method. When, don't ask...

The future will be direct access to the brain instead of watching through the eyes. Total Recall will be the reality.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #23
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Overdone like burnt toast.

And, what annoys me even more, is that other folks are using it to market products that have nothing to do with 3D.

Last night I saw a commercial for 3D teeth whitening strips.
Give me an effen break!
Not as good as Turbo Laser Micro 3D teeth whitening strips.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #24
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Part of the problem is that Theater owners say it costs $50,000-$70,000 to convert a theater room to 3D. Plus they say they spend $50 for each pair of glasses (although I find it hard to believe that the crappy things they handed out were worth more than 50 cents ).

Anyway, the owners are pushing 3D so that they can recoup their investment. My guess is that you will see more and more movies in 3D as a result.

They made the investment in 3D in another attempt to get people away from the HT systems and into their pricey theaters...

What I really want is 3D movies without the glasses...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #25
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Well, remember that 3D was pushed back in the 70s as well. Technology is much better, but I do wonder if it will really ever become standard. Let's face it, many if not most movies don't need 3D to "make" them.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #26
tx_tuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Plus they say they spend $50 for each pair of glasses (although I find it hard to believe that the crappy things they handed out were worth more than 50 cents )

What I really want is 3D movies without the glasses...
There is no way those glasses cost $50 a piece because you don't even have to return them! Hell I have prob 6 to 10 pair in my trucj thanks to the kids LOL.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #27
shooter21489

Personally I love 3D when it's used properly. Went to see avatar 3 times and was blown away each time. Made me go out and buy 3D toothpaste.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #28
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

I personally feel 3D is over the top for tv. I don't want to have to wear glasses everytime I want to watch something on the tube.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #29
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Oh come on, watching Jaws and Freddy Krueger both explode in 3D was soooooo cool man...

(then again, it could have been the booze we snuck into the theatre)
Bingo!
I think certain theaters should cater to this market. Serving alcohol at the movies would make the experience much better for certain films.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #30
Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Bingo!
I think certain theaters should cater to this market. Serving alcohol at the movies would make the experience much better for certain films.
Like boring Chick Flicks that us guys get dragged to...
Old 03-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #31
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bingo!
We have them here in Portland!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #32
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

My problem with 3D is that I wear GLASSES. Have you tried fitting the 3D glasses you have to buy with each tickets over your prescription glasses? (I can't wear contacts). I think they need to make a pair of clip-ons for those who wear glasses.

I also think it's ridiculous to make you buy another set of 3D glasses for each movie and I was told that you have to pay extra to cover the cost of the 3D glasses. Why can't they just be upfront and say, "Hey! We haven't screwed enough people out of their money today so pay extra!"
Old 03-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #33
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Bingo!
We have one here in Richmond, too. New theater downtown, pretty nice.

As for 3D, I have to agree with T.G. Movie execs & producers, including James Cameron, were interviewed in USA Today last week (I know, I know, but I was in a hotel and got it for free...) and said pretty much the same thing. They're not thinking of 3D as a gimmick, but as a tool. More films will use the technique, until it's refined and becomes part of the "movie experience," like sound and color were before it.

Hopefully by then they'll figure out why I get nauseous in 3D.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #34
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

I haven't seen a movie in 3D yet, but would love to do so. It's not going anywhere - in fact I predict the next TV I buy will be 3D capable.
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #35
BC-Axeman

Hows that 3D working out? Anyone see Smurfs in 3D?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #36
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
In general, Yes. Now I am seeing ads for 3D TVs and Blu-Ray Players. I honestly think it's a phase and this time next year 3D movies won't be so common place.
I agree I think its a fad that will fade like the laser disc.
Angry_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #37
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I for one love 3D if it's made correctly, best 3D I have ever seen was COMING AT YA, anyone ever heard of it? The movie itself sucks balls, but the 3D in is amazing and entire movie every 5 seconds something is COMING AT YA.

I feel 3D is being run into the ground and they are now ruining it. Do we really need 3D tv's so our favorite sports players can jump out at us??? I don't need an ugly ass Shaq in my house *Shudder*

And now cable is jumping on the bandwagon and now offering 3D.....it's run it's course....as one person said it was cool in the 50's now it's just a gimmick.

Again, if it's done right like the film I mentioned above then by all means make it in 3D, but I don't want to see Twilight in 3D or anything like that, where only the fight sequences are in 3D.

There, just my
Old 08-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #38
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

I actually picked up a 3D tv, not because I wanted a 3D tv, but because I got a great price on it, and due to the nature of 3D the processor in this TV is insane. I suppose I could have just purchased a high end TV with a 240 MHZ processor, but I figured for the novelty and a few extra bucks (less than 100) for a 3D setup, it was worth it.

I've watched a few baseball games with the 3D feature turned on, and its ok, adds depth back into the TV, not projecting out at you, but the few movies that I've watched have been really cool, Monsters VS. Aliens specifically.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #39
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

I have yet to watch anything in the new 3d. Except women's volleyball at the NEX electronics isle
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #40
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

In cockpit motorsports should be interesting in 3D.