Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 02-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
paul incaundo

Default Alright, guys. Show me what good coffee is.

I got a keurig coffee maker as a gift, and i've had it sitting in the kitchen for 3 years now and every once in a while I'll TRY to enjoy it. For some reason it all just tastes like hot.. water. This is how hot/warm coffee has always tasted to me. I cant taste the flavors, it just tastes like warm water.

Now, because of this, I've found myself going to Starbucks about 103291 times a week, and getting my toffee nut frappe, and to me this tastes GREAT. I like frappes and any kind of coffee that's meant to be cold.

I've been lurking and I've seen posts on here talking about how bad Starbucks is, but I cant imagine anything better! So here I am, I'm going to be open minded, and I'm curious as to what good coffee is (can I get it cold? )
Old 02-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Alright, guys. Show me what good coffee is.

Buy a Bodum French press, find a local roaster or one online and try different types. if you don't want to buy your own grinder, they'll grind it for you. Just tell em you need a FP grind. You'll be amazed at how much better the coffee will taste, even compared to Charbucks.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul incaundo View Post
I got a keurig coffee maker as a gift, and i've had it sitting in the kitchen for 3 years now and every once in a while I'll TRY to enjoy it. For some reason it all just tastes like hot.. water. This is how hot/warm coffee has always tasted to me.
Have you tried putting a k-cup in it?

I have no idea how you would make a frappe. Are they blended?
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Maybe your taste buds aren't up to the challenge for anything but sweet things.
Thems the breaks, bub.

Like what you drink, drink what you like, I suppose.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

I agree, pick up a good french press and a burr grinder. Don't get one of those with the whirly blades, they suck and it's hard to get the grind right. You can buy Coffee online or if you have a good supermarket like a Whole Foods they'll have something decent. Grinding your own is the way to go because the coffee starts to lose flavor after you grind it. Some people say you can freeze the beans to keep them fresh but a lb of coffee lasts me about 3 days so I've never felt the need.

Experiment with the coffee amounts, my french press is supposed to be 8 cup, but it considers a cup to be 4 ounces, that's 32 ounces which is 4 actual cups and 2 fills on my mug. Depending on what you buy some presses will figure a cup to be 6 ounces, some 4, some 8. Be sure to measure your gear and go by ounces not whatever size the manufacturer thinks a cup is.

I find the more beans I use the better the coffee, you don't get the bitterness if you use a good amount of beans, just coffee flavor. And if you have friends that like Keurig type water coffee you can add hot water and they will be amazed how good the coffee is.

The one problem with this is that after you start drinking good coffee it becomes hard to order a cup at a diner or restaurant, Starbucks will only be useful if you want a slightly coffee flavored milkshake thing with 3000 calories masquerading as a cup of coffee.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote