Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 04-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #501
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Steelers fans check in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Thanks for the info, Scott and Vic.

I knew that he had been in trouble with the ladies before, but not to that extent. Still, I'm not so sure about his suspension. I don't believe that he is a great guy off the field after all of this, but it is what it is. I know it's not the NFL way, but I would be more satisfied if the Steelers banned him from six games (not gonna happen) rather than the NFL. I guess that shows me as more of a States Rights kind of guy. I do see Goodell's reasoning though.
Andy, the Steelers already picked up Byron Leftwich yesterday, they have two other quarterbacks in Batch and Dixon, and they are dangling Ben for a draft choice.
I don't think, under the collective bargaining agreement that the Steelers have with the players union, that the Steelers can dispense any sort of "punishment". What they can do is fire him and get out from their contractual obligation to him.
If the Steelers can't make money, which as a business is their first priority, then they're going to look to minimize their loss. You can bet that the Rooney's fleet of lawyers has long since found them a fistful of "outs". I would be absolutely shocked to see Ben anywhere near the field with the Steelers this year. I was surprised to see him at training camp, but the shoe hadn't dropped yet.
I've loved Ben as much as anyone over the years. I desperately wanted none of this stuff to be true, so I read everything I could see since it all started. It's real easy to see that he did what he was blamed with. That makes the charges from the woman in Reno look perfectly real, too.

I'm sure the Steelers wish they could punish him, but I believe they are powerless in that capacity. I'd be willing to bet the farm that you won't see Ben throwing the ball for the Steelers this year. They are the second most popular brand in the NFL next to the Cowboys. They can't have a raper at QB, it'd cause a huge financial downturn, and money is already super scarce with the economy being what it is.
I'd love to see Ben not picked up by anyone. In my way of thinking, I can't even imagine a team desperate enough to hire a serial raper. If he was available to play for free, I can't imagine giving him the ball on my team. He hasn't confessed, he hasn't done time, and he hasn't begged for forgiveness because he can't. He'd be indicted. It all makes him very untouchable. It actually puts him in a far worse position than if he actually did get charged and lost his case and did time. At least there's some justice in that. I'm sure it's not much solace for the women and families he's hurt, but hopefully he'll get what he's earned, even if it isn't what we'd expect.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #502
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Andy, the Steelers already picked up Byron Leftwich yesterday, they have two other quarterbacks in Batch and Dixon, and they are dangling Ben for a draft choice.
I don't think, under the collective bargaining agreement that the Steelers have with the players union, that the Steelers can dispense any sort of "punishment". What they can do is fire him and get out from their contractual obligation to him.
I wish the teams could punish players rather than the league, but it is what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I'd be willing to bet the farm that you won't see Ben throwing the ball for the Steelers this year.
I'd be willing to take that bet. You down? A fiver?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #503
Steelergar

Really who cares what Ben does off the field. The only thing I care about is seeing him score touchdowns, I could care less who he scores with off the field. This stuff happens any given night in any city. Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio did worse stuff than this. Anybody overly concerned with this is just jealous of Big Ben. Jarimor Jagr used to pick up girls at have a nice day cafe take them to his Limo do his thing then go back in and do it again.

Last edited by Steelergar; 04-21-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #504
Mikey202
Tight Lines !!!!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (6)
SLR Army (Served With Honor)
Mikey202 will become famous soon enoughMikey202 will become famous soon enough

Read the SI article on Roethlisberger. Bottom line, as a Die-hard Steeler fan, it doesn't put him in the best light. The "victim" was walking around with a RTF nametag on, ect. Typical drunken college debauchery on both parts. Roethlisberger needs to grow up, and get his head in the game.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #505
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey202 View Post
Typical drunken college debauchery on both parts. Roethlisberger needs to grow up, and get his head in the game.
Except Mikey, Rothlisberger is almost thirty years old and no longer in college.

The fact he's hanging around college bars is more than just a little creepy.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #506
Mikey202
Tight Lines !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Except Mikey, Rothlisberger is almost thirty years old and no longer in college.

The fact he's hanging around college bars is more than just a little creepy.
Agreed, Like I said...he needs to grow up and get his head in the game.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #507
ripper
Busy doing nothing

First Name: Bart
Trading: (12)
Cohiba
ripper will become famous soon enough

Any of yinz heard from garlicbreath?
Can't find Tony at his old job or online. No reply to messages here and at LinkedIn.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #508
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelergar View Post
Really who cares what Ben does off the field. The only thing I care about is seeing him score touchdowns, I could care less who he scores with off the field. This stuff happens any given night in any city. Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio did worse stuff than this. Anybody overly concerned with this is just jealous of Big Ben. Jarimor Jagr used to pick up girls at have a nice day cafe take them to his Limo do his thing then go back in and do it again.
You might feel a little bit different if Ben was raping your sister.
I care a hell of a lot more than what he does on the field. I can't imagine for a moment that there's one of our fine brothers here that doesn't feel the same way.
Were it my daughter he raped, he wouldn't need to be worried about throwing anything anymore. I highly doubt I'd even get a chance to take him out, because I'd have to crawl over hundreds of decent people who are already getting busy showing him the difference between right and wrong. Why he's still sucking air is an affront to good people everywhere.
Just because these disgusting, immoral, hateful things happen every day, it certainly doesn't make it okay. Destroying young women's lives and causing their friends and families immeasurable pain is nothing to be made light of for any reason.
I sure hope this isn't really how you feel, and it was just an uninformed oversight. It's quite possibly the most sickening and thoughtless thing I've ever heard said here.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #509
Mikey202
Tight Lines !!!!

Is it football season yet?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #510
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Is it football season yet?
Almost. I just got my DirecTV statement for next month, and it has the extra charge for Sunday Ticket. This is one of the only times I'm happy to pay a bill.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #511
jaycarla
Mossy Hoosier

First Name: Jay
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
jaycarla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
Almost. I just got my DirecTV statement for next month, and it has the extra charge for Sunday Ticket. This is one of the only times I'm happy to pay a bill.
I will add a resounding Giggity to this statement. Going with the Superfan pack this year for the first time. Coupled with the Redzone channel and 4 tv's I am a lethal weapon.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #512
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

It's about time for the Steeler Nation to stand up and be heard, once again!!!

We’re on the cusp of a new season, preparing our campaign to bring home the seventh Lombardi Trophy to the Steel City. It will not be easy but worth every ounce of blood, sweat and determination that makes the PITTSBURGH STEELERS the greatest team in the national Football League!

Chris.....
Old 08-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #513
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by marge796 View Post
It's about time for the Steeler Nation to stand up and be heard, once again!!!

We’re on the cusp of a new season, preparing our campaign to bring home the seventh Lombardi Trophy to the Steel City. It will not be easy but worth every ounce of blood, sweat and determination that makes the PITTSBURGH STEELERS the greatest team in the national Football League!

Chris.....
Amen!!

Let's just get thru the beginning of the schedule!

GO STEELERS!!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #514
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Old 09-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #515
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Montecristo

Here's to 7!!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #516
Mikey202
Tight Lines !!!!

Dixon gets the start against the Falcons. Can't wait, got the NFL Ticket. HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!HERE WE GO!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #517
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Montecristo

Quote:
Dixon gets the start against the Falcons. Can't wait, got the NFL Ticket. HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!HERE WE GO!!!
Yeah, I hope he does well.

You got the NFL ticket? I will one of these years when I switch from cable.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #518
srduggins
Feeling at Home

First Name: steve
Trading: (37)
LGC
srduggins will become famous soon enoughsrduggins will become famous soon enough

I think he will do well enough, if they let him play his game with roll outs and designed run plays. If they try to make a pocket passer out of him, we are in trouble.
srduggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #519
SIMPLIFIED
2010shack corn hole chap

Trading: (2)
Partagas
SIMPLIFIED will become famous soon enough

I have two extra tickets on the 20 if anyone is interested in meeting me at the game and joining my son and I. Tickets at face value about 92 - 95 per...

PM me...
SIMPLIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:49 AM   #520
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Montecristo

I'll take the wins any way they come.