Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #21
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: It's iPhone upgrade time, woohoo

Usually I get the newest either right away or a few weeks after release, as it is I just dropped 2000 on a new top for my car and some other fixes so I'm going to hold off on the phone for now and see what's what in a few months.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:48 AM   #22
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

That took a while to get everything transferred and phone activated but good to go. No home button is taking a bit to get used to hah.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #23
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weelok View Post
That took a while to get everything transferred and phone activated but good to go. No home button is taking a bit to get used to hah.
that's the main reason my wife doesn't want to upgrade. She doesn't accept change very well, plus she's not very techie either. I figured if I get one it will take a week or 10 days and it will be easy once you get used to it.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #24
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I received my XsMax on Friday and I love it! My wife also likes her Xs. Face ID is much faster!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #25
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I received my XsMax on Friday and I love it! My wife also likes her Xs. Face ID is much faster!
How is the size? It looks like the overall dimensions of the XS Max are about the same as my iPhone 7 plus.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:13 PM   #26
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

My 6 up and died today. Replaced it with a Xs 256 gig. Love it so far.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:31 AM   #27
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Well I may go with the XS or XS max after all but not for the reasons Shilala said to. I am reading that the gigabit 4x4 mimo on the XS's make for some awesome speeds. Oh well we will see.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:37 AM   #28
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
How is the size? It looks like the overall dimensions of the XS Max are about the same as my iPhone 7 plus.
The XsMax is every-so-slightly smaller than the 7+:

7+: 5.5" display, 3.07 x 6.23
XsMax: 6.5" display, 3.05 x 6.30

It's so much faster than my previous phone (X), which was also faster than my 7+!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #29
G G
BR549

Bolivar

For those that are in the know, talk to me about burn in on the OLED screens? I read that ALL of them suffer from it in some form or fashion.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:56 AM   #30
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

We are going back to Apple after going with Samsung for the past 2+ years. We are looking at the XS and wondering if we should get the add-on warranty plans for them. We both had phones from work and never had to worry about getting them fixed, but any feedback you might have about these plans would be helpful. Our provider is Verizon and we are not planning on switching to another provider. Thanks, Tom
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:00 AM   #31
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

I have the AppleCare warranty due to the cost of glass replacement. I’ve needed it a few times and it definitely more than paid for itself!

Old 09-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #32
G G
BR549

Bolivar

I went and looked at a XS Max today. After reading about it you would think it's as big as an iPad. LOL. I have a pretty small case on my iPhone 7 and it looked a lot smaller than the iPhone 7 with a case. I get the fact that it's all screen though so will be harder to work one handed but I tend to use two hands most of the time anyway. Not sure now with the connection problems being reported, may still wait to see the XR before I decide.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #33
G G
BR549

Bolivar

I found there is a pretty good deal for retentions at AT&T on the new iPhones. From what I can gather if you have been with AT&T for 10+ years, and I have almost been with them 15 years. You can get $450 off the price of whatever phone either XS or XS Max with a two year contract. Supposedly you have to call retentions and it's a loyalty deal. This will only work if you are on the newest unlimited plans. And it doesn't add the money back to your plan. If you have any plan other than the new unlimited plans it will raise the device access fee $20 to $30 per month, but if you have the new unlimited plan it stays the same, but you will have the old school 2 year commitment. Thinking seriously of doing it because I aint going nowhere, AT&T is as good as any other company in my opinion and I have been with them so long.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:08 PM   #34
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

RA

I’ve no connection problems with the Xs but the Max will have a different antenna configuration. I’m going to the office tomorrow and it has poor wireless so I will see how the Xs fairs and report back.

WiFi is much faster to connect with a great signal strength. The phone is a great phone with clear conversations so that is good. The lack of an audio port isn’t too painful as the headset is now through the lightning connector.

Some of the buttons now have some additional functionality to make up for the loss of the home button.

Facial recognition is fast and surprisingly good.

We’ll see how the wireless works tomowwow.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:24 PM   #35
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
I’ve no connection problems with the Xs but the Max will have a different antenna configuration. I’m going to the office tomorrow and it has poor wireless so I will see how the Xs fairs and report back.

WiFi is much faster to connect with a great signal strength. The phone is a great phone with clear conversations so that is good. The lack of an audio port isn’t too painful as the headset is now through the lightning connector.

Some of the buttons now have some additional functionality to make up for the loss of the home button.

Facial recognition is fast and surprisingly good.

We’ll see how the wireless works tomowwow.
They both have the gigabit LTE or whatever they call it and 4x4 mimo though right? I am reading that some are having connection problems.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #36
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

So far, no connection problems here with either our Xs or XsMax...

Old 09-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #37
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

RA

My Xs phone connected to AT&T with maybe a bit better performance then my old 6s so I would say it’s performing empiracally better on a limited test.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #38
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
No home button is taking a bit to get used to hah.
But it is AWESOME once you get used to it. Home buttons confuse me now....
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:44 AM   #39
G G
BR549

Bolivar

I cannot decide on what to get. I currently have a 128 gig iPhone 7 plus. I have an icloud 200 gig account that everything is backed up to including photos. On my current phone I am only using about 19 gigs. I also have an iPad and MacBook Pro that all the documents and photos sync through iCloud. None of the documents and photos are actually stored on the devices they are on iCloud. so I am thinking of getting the 64 gig phone when I get a new one. I do use Pandora Premium but don't download any music to speak of. I don't download any video at all because when I do watch video on the phone it's either youtube or DirecTV Now.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #40
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

A buddy just got the new iPhone and says its a flop. Lots of noise, horrible wifi, and other general reception issues. I guess a lot are complaining.

I just got a new battery on my iPhone 7 and it's like a new phone! Best money spent vs getting a new phone.