Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Real wrestling

OK, I just wan to see if this works or not.

My son Tim has been wrestling since beginning HS. He will not win at state, but he might just qualify this year. Another wrestler took this video, and I just wanted to see if I could post it. The wrestler he was competing against wasn't the best. Tim is in the orange and black singlet.

http://youtu.be/55YIbyzp_4Q
Old 01-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice
Default Re: Real wrestling

That is awesome. If you want to see him improve a lot in wrestling get him involved in AAU summer wrestling. Its mostly freestyle and occasionally Greco Roman.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Yes Todd, you can post it, and did so. Nice early take-down, and Tim maintained control throughout. Good luck to him.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Nice take-down. I wrestled in way back when inhigh school as well, loved it!

Now, try to get the image of me in wrestling garb outta yer head!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #5
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Very nice!
Old 01-14-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Nice pin. I wrestled in High School until I suffered a few too many concussions. It explains a few things. Wrestling is a great sport as long as you don't get too caught up in cutting weight. I was a scrawny 120 my sophomore year and was encouraged to cut to 112. It wasn't very healthy or much fun.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijit View Post
That is awesome. If you want to see him improve a lot in wrestling get him involved in AAU summer wrestling. Its mostly freestyle and occasionally Greco Roman.
He is a senior this year, so this will be his last year of HS wrestling. If he wrestles in college, then we'll see what coaches suggest - he is talking to a couple already.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #8
dijit
Have My Own Room

dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
He is a senior this year, so this will be his last year of HS wrestling. If he wrestles in college, then we'll see what coaches suggest - he is talking to a couple already.
If he is going to wrestle college then he needs to get involved in the AAU summer program as the college format is closer to freestyle.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #9
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Is he looking at any of the concordia's? Seward has a fairly new wrestling program.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
Old 01-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #10
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

I agree, good take down. Kid in the blue appeared not to give too much effort in making an escape. I wrestled all 4 years in HS and wrestled at 175 lbs my Senior year. A lot of fun that's for sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Now, try to get the image of me in wrestling garb outta yer head!!!

...Darn you Steve, I read this, and now I can't
Old 01-15-2015, 09:37 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba View Post
Is he looking at any of the concordia's? Seward has a fairly new wrestling program.
He is considering Mequon as a matter of fact.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #12
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ

Quote:
He is considering Mequon as a matter of fact.
That's great. I looked at mequon as well but felt that Seward was a better fit for me.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:17 AM   #13
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
...Darn you Steve, I read this, and now I can't
I am heading over to mom and dad's later this weekend to work on cleaning the place up to unload it. Mom probably has some old pictures of me in my wrestling outfit...if I find any i'll see about posting them.

Sorry Todd, back on topic...
Old 01-16-2015, 07:44 AM   #14
Remo
C.I.A

Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I am heading over to mom and dad's later this weekend to work on cleaning the place up to unload it. Mom probably has some old pictures of me in my wrestling outfit...if I find any i'll PUT IT ON AN TAKE A PICTURE!

Sorry Todd, back on topic...
Old 01-16-2015, 07:45 AM   #15
Remo
C.I.A

Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Nice Todd
Old 02-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #16
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

This is Tim's senior year, and he finished the regular seasons 27-12. He wants to wrestle in college, but knows that a D3 school is probably where it will happen. He wrestled youth wrestling in 3rd & 4th grade, but then wanted to play basketball with his classmates. He has Pauline's genes for height (she's 5'9.5"), but had quick hands and moves quickly laterally. So he was a good ball stealer, but after that his ball-handling skills and lack of height were a detriment to seeing floor time, so from 5th to 8th grade we listened to him complain about not getting playing time, suggested every year that he go back to wrestling, and then let him make his own decision.

Anyway, Regionals are next Saturday and he has hopes of making it to Sectionals. Sectionals are the following Saturday and he has hopes of qualifying for state. He has come a long way in what is only 4 years of wrestling. The guys that are "ranked" at state in his weight class have all been wrestling since kindergarten and are in much better programs.

He has done some great things this season. I am not sure what will happen the next two weeks, but I keep him in my prayers that he's not disappointed.

All I know is that I am proud of him. He has done some great things, overcome some incredible challenges, and will succeed in whatever he puts his mind to.

He has been accepted at 3 different schools, given Presidential Scholarships at 2 of them for academic achievement, and has talked to wrestling coaches who are interested in him, so that is all good.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:01 AM   #17
dijit
Have My Own Room

Todd, Great job on raising what sounds like a great kid. He isnt afraid of hard work and sounds like he has the talent base to be successful as a "walk on." I would only offer that you keep allowing him to decide on his wrestling carreer. Good luck to him in Sectionals and State!
Old 02-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #18
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijit View Post
Todd, Great job on raising what sounds like a great kid. He isnt afraid of hard work and sounds like he has the talent base to be successful as a "walk on." I would only offer that you keep allowing him to decide on his wrestling carreer. Good luck to him in Sectionals and State!
I never pushed him to wrestle. Hey, I never did! It is a great sport though, where it is all up to you on the mat, nobody else to blame when "you" lose. And yet, you are part of a team.

If he wrestles in college, great. If he doesn't, great. I haven't pushed him to even decide on which college he wants to attend. And, have defended him from relatives who keep saying, "He better make a decision quick."

His present plan is to get a degree in Physical Therapy and possibly pursue a further degree as a Doctor of Sport Medicine. He can work at the local garage as a mechanic for all I car, I just want him to be happy with whatever he is doing.

All that is of course second to his relationship with God, that is my first concern.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #19
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ

Keep us posted on how things go. Maybe even post the match video if you are able to record it.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #20
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba View Post
Keep us posted on how things go. Maybe even post the match video if you are able to record it.
Our regional championship will involve 6 schools. Technically, you wrestle till you lose. However, if the guy you lose to wins first place, you have the possibility to wrestle back for 2nd. the top 2 then go to sectionals.

Sectionals is the winners from 4 regional championships, so now 8 wrestlers per weight with the top 3 qualifying for state.

So, to qualify to compete at State, he will need to be one of the top three wrestlers in his weight class from 25 schools (I counted up the schools for our regionals).

Historically, our regional & sectional are the toughest in Wisconsin. Usually 3 out of the top 5 come out them.

Tim is presently not ranked in the top 10 and has lost close matches to 3 of the top 5 over the course of the season, and lost by tech fall to the #2 man 16-0 in his first match of the season. BUT, I think he is wrestling better now than he has all season. The coaches also think he is wrestling stronger.

Tim's biggest enemy is his own head. If he will believe in himself, I think he's got a shot.

Peace of the Lord be with you.