Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about
Default (PRE-RELEASE) Tatuaje Mini Mum

Today is something special. It's Friday the 13th and I thought it would be very fitting to post a review of the new Mini Mum cigar coming from Pete Johnson. If you've checked out our site recently you will probably know that I took a trip to Nicaragua with Pete (and others) where I was lucky enough to smoke all of the new "Little Monsters" that should be hitting the shelves in early summer. The Mini Mum is the largest/longest of the new releases. Could it be a foreshadowing to the full blown Mummy Monster release in October? We will have to wait and see. (I'm lying. The full-size Mummy is a beast, measuring 7 3/4 by 48; a long Churchill, if you will)

The whole Little Monsters concept is a cool idea in my opinion because I know many guys who never got their hands on some of the first Monster series releases and this will give them a chance to try them without paying crazy after market prices. Packaging them in a sampler style box and making them smaller in size only makes it easier and more affordable to try them all. (Plus there may be some other cools things coming with the packaging.)

Specifics
Vitola: Corona
Length: 5 3/4
Ring Gauge: 42
Wrapper: Nicaragua Sun Grown Criollo
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $75.00 for a sampler box of 10 cigars
Smoking Location: My back deck
Beverage: water

Pre-Light
The Mini Mum is a pretty rustic looking cigar. The wrapper has a lot of veins of different sizes and varies in shades of color from lighter to darker browns, being darkest at the closed foot end. To put it bluntly, it's ugly like a monster. The stick had a nice give to when squeezed, but was not what I would call soft in any way. The pre-lit aroma smelled mostly of nuts, but also had a hint of clove. The cold draw (or where there was one with a closed foot cigar) tasted again of nuts. I would say hazelnut if I had to pick a certain type. The flavor was strong, which foreshadowed good things to come.

First Third
I love lighting a closed foot cigar because, in those first few draws, you really get a sense of the wrapper taste. The flavor I got right away on the front of the profile was classic Don Pepin black pepper, which hit mostly on the sides of my tongue, rounded out by a strong cedar flavor. The finish felt very syrupy on my palate and again had smacks of black pepper, but this time knocked down a bit by a leather taste. As you can see in the photos, the ash on the cigar was a bright white color (like a mummy, get it? *groan*) and held on strong even smoking outside on a windy day. About an inch into the cigar, the flavors already started to change on the finish and I started to get some clove of the taste I had smelled on the pre-lit aroma. The cigar produced a large amount of smoke and burned effortlessly. The nicotine strength was a solid medium.

Second Third
The second third on my Mini Mum was similar on the front end of the profile with pepper and cedar, but the finish had really taken off. The clove flavor had come on strong and created a nice mix with the leather. Adding to that was some pretty strong cinnamon notes that, for me, took this stage of the cigar to a whole new level. It reminded me a lot of old fashion candies that you would get a a state fair or at the little shop at a Cracker Barrel. (To be 100% honest, I've never been to a Cracker Barrel, but I know they sell what I'm writing about.) It was that spicy, old-fashioned, comes-in-a-paper-bag kind of candy that has sweetness, but only enough to help the spice from being too much. Anyway, it was unique enough that I texted my friend right away and said that this was something different. Also, in the second third, the nicotine strength picked up and I would say it was in the lower full range. I could feel my heart rate pick up a bit, but nothing uncomfortable. Again no burn or construction problems.

Final Third and Final Thoughts
The final third of my Mini Mum was dominated both on the front of the profile and the finish by the clove/cinnamon/leather combo. Toward the nub, some of the black pepper kicked back in, but that was almost like an afterthought at this point. Just like the difference in the first third to the second third, the nicotine strength continued to pick up and by the end of the cigar was well into the full range. It's a smaller cigar, but it still will keep the full strength guys happy - especially when you get to the latter half of the smoking experience. I burned this cigar until my fingers were burning and it never got sour or hot.

Final thoughts on the Tatuaje Mini Mum ? This Little Monster might not be full size like it's big brother will be in October, but it's still a full size monster in flavor. What really shined with this cigar is the finish on each puff and the flavors that last a long time between draws. The combination of clove/cinnamon/leather blended well and made for a winner in my book. I can't wait to get my hands on more of these and am now anticipating the full size Mummy release even more.

Would I buy it again? Yes

Would I buy a box? I will be buying multiple boxes of the Little Monsters (sampler box that contains this cigar.)

for more pictures please visit http://tinyurl.com/cll8kua

Dan
Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: (PRE-RELEASE) Tatuaje Mini Mum

THis is a Tat I could get interested in. I'd probably split a box.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Excellent review Dan. I can see trying to get some of the Mini's myself.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Thanks for the great review brother, sound great!
I love the idea of smaller RG monsters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
THis is a Tat I could get interested in. I'd probably split a box.
I don't think you will be able to get them in a box, only the monster samplers.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Islayphile
Wee Dram Hunter

First Name: Mike
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Islayphile is on a distinguished road

Great review Dan...

I look forward to getting my hands on few boxes of the mini's myself
Old 04-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Me want!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Another fine review Dan!!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the review, Dan!
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Nice review Dan, awaiting their arrival.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Great review bro. Another Tat to chase!!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
danreeve
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Great review bro. Another Tat to chase!!!!
I don't think there will be much chasing this time. A lot of them to go around.

Thanks for reading and the comments guys

Dan
Old 04-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Thanks for the great review :

They look tasty!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Nice review Dan.

Gonna try and score 2 boxes of these.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
warpedcigars
Warehouse Smoking

Trading: (11)
warpedcigars is on a distinguished road

Cant wait for these, especially the mini frank!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
Hem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bill
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Hem will become famous soon enough

Can't wait for these! Those mini's are going to sell quick..hopefully there will be enough this time to go around.
Hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #16
danreeve
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedcigars View Post
Cant wait for these, especially the mini frank!
I gave my last mini Frank away to my friend last week so no formal review on that one. I smoked a handful of them and yup, they are good also. To me they taste just like the original (when it was fresh).

thanks again everyone for reading and the comments.

Dan
Old 04-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
danreeve
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hem View Post
Can't wait for these! Those mini's are going to sell quick..hopefully there will be enough this time to go around.
10,000 boxes
Old 04-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

Dan, I love reading your reviews! This sampler sounds great. I wonder if there are any plans to to do a "mini-box" of each one? I thought the Frank was fantastic and if the mini tastes the same, I'd be all over those like crazy.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
danreeve
Feeling at Home

hopefully you caught this part.. the regular mummy will be 7 3/4 by 48. I can't wait for that. long smoke!

thanks for reading.

Dan
Old 04-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
thecatch83

Is October an updated release date? Press release says June 10...

The Little Monsters are slated for a June release in 10 count boxes containing 2 of each of the 5 smaller versions of the Monster series, including this year's release, The Mummy. We were able to smoke 4 of them during the trip (all but the lil' drac) and across the board, everyone will be more than happy with this project! With a retail of $75 and many boxes being produced, this will be a release that everyone will be smoking and not just saving!