Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Quitting cigs... again...

So, I quit smoking cigarettes for a little over 2 years. For some reason, I picked up the habit about a year ago again. I got up this morning, was all out of cigarettes, and thought "No better time than now!"

So, wish me luck. I'm thinking it should be rather easy, with getting nicotine from cigars.

Last time I quit, I thought it was easier than I expected it to be. I just have to not have the first one in the morning, and the rest of the day goes pretty smooth!

Just pray for my gf and kids lol. I may not be the happiest camper for a little while.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quitting cigs... again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
So, I quit smoking cigarettes for a little over 2 years. For some reason, I picked up the habit about a year ago again. I got up this morning, was all out of cigarettes, and thought "No better time than now!"

So, wish me luck. I'm thinking it should be rather easy, with getting nicotine from cigars.
Habit is the hardest part to break. I started dipping when I quit. Alot! I have since stopped and only smoke cigars. Good luck. I feel so much healthier since quitting. That was 5 years ago.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Good Luck Doug!!! I quit 18 months ago and it was the hardest thing I have ever done!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Tbagley
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
Tbagley is on a distinguished road

Really got to put your mind to it, GL
Tbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Best of luck to you
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck Peter.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
Kneo
The Second One

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (3)
Kneo will become famous soon enough

I have been cig free for almost three years thanks to Chantix. Best thing I ever did c
Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Good luck to you! I need to quit again soon.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #9
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Good luck, I wish you and your family the best.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

It's still worth it. You may have to give up drinking or smoking crack for a bit, as these trigger activities will cause the cravings to
come back. But if you can stay away from them for a week or two you should be golden. I am not a smoking finger-wagger,
but I have been off em for over a year and do not think about them anymore. BUT, I didn't really commit until I already had COPD.
I quit two years or more ago, but then picked up a little of the herb, and of course, had to buy cigs, and then HAMMERED em for about three
months before I noticed that THIS time I really couldn't breathe anymore. I think it was that 3 months that pushed me past being
a cheezy wheezy into full on Emphysema. Make no mistake, if you smoke, you WILL eventually harden your lung tissue to the point
where you can't get a proper lungful of air. Even if you never get cancer, you are going to have trouble breathing when you hit
your 40's. It is not worth it. I enjoyed my days of smoking, being cool, having something to do when bored, all of it. After sex,
after meals, waking up, before bed....the whole deal. But knowing how I would feel today, it ain't worth it. If I had to run away
from a monster to save my life, I would be dead.
I used to move myself and took pride in it. If I moved from this house I live in now,
I'd have to hire movers or I would drop like a stone. No one wants to be useless. CIGS will do it. Stay off em and be happy for yourself.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #11
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Another thing that helps is to REMEMBER that if you stop and get a pack, you will be stuck with 19 other
cigarettes, because as soon as you fire up that 'moment of weakness" cigarette, you will taste that nauseating
smoke and be so ashamed of yourself for being weak. Just think in advance of how nasty it will taste and you
should get over those "OK, just one more pack" feelings.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
Sherlockholms

Good luck Peter, Like what Has been said the habit is the hardest to kick!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #13
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Thanks for the support guys! 1 day down. Hoepfully a bunch more. I've been eating sunflower seeds to keep me busy. And smoking more cigars
Old 07-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #14
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Another thing that helps is to REMEMBER that if you stop and get a pack, you will be stuck with 19 other
cigarettes, because as soon as you fire up that 'moment of weakness" cigarette, you will taste that nauseating
smoke and be so ashamed of yourself for being weak. Just think in advance of how nasty it will taste and you
should get over those "OK, just one more pack" feelings.
Very true. Great advice! I had the temptation yesterday evening to run down to the gas station. The thing that stopped me was this thread. But yeah, that's a great point. I don't really enjoy the flavor of cigarettes. Blech.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #15
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
It's still worth it. You may have to give up drinking or smoking crack for a bit, as these trigger activities will cause the cravings to
come back. But if you can stay away from them for a week or two you should be golden. I am not a smoking finger-wagger,
but I have been off em for over a year and do not think about them anymore. BUT, I didn't really commit until I already had COPD.
I quit two years or more ago, but then picked up a little of the herb, and of course, had to buy cigs, and then HAMMERED em for about three
months before I noticed that THIS time I really couldn't breathe anymore. I think it was that 3 months that pushed me past being
a cheezy wheezy into full on Emphysema. Make no mistake, if you smoke, you WILL eventually harden your lung tissue to the point
where you can't get a proper lungful of air. Even if you never get cancer, you are going to have trouble breathing when you hit
your 40's. It is not worth it. I enjoyed my days of smoking, being cool, having something to do when bored, all of it. After sex,
after meals, waking up, before bed....the whole deal. But knowing how I would feel today, it ain't worth it. If I had to run away
from a monster to save my life, I would be dead.
I used to move myself and took pride in it. If I moved from this house I live in now,
I'd have to hire movers or I would drop like a stone. No one wants to be useless. CIGS will do it. Stay off em and be happy for yourself.
Damn, I was hoping I wouldn't have to put the crack pipe down...

So true on the drinking. That's the time I want a smoke the most. Well, the herb thing would've been true for me too, but I quit that shortly after college. I can count on one hand the number of times I've smoked in the last 5 years. It sure does help me go to sleep though

Thanks for the encouragement, brother. The advice is appreciated.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #16
MrsSledn
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Cathy
Trading: (0)
MrsSledn is on a distinguished road

Good luck with quitting. I know for some it's harder then it is for others. I quit cold turkey in August 2009 when I found out I was pregnant. When I lost the baby, I didn't go back. I did have 3 during the past 2 years. I found when I was HIGHLY stressed, I pulled out a cigarette. Then another. Decided they tasted like crap. Months later and another HIGHLY stressful moment of weakness, I walked out to the garage and indulged. A few puffs in, my inner self started and the guilt was too overwhleming for me. I put the darn thing out after 4 puffs. Last one I ever had. And I still have a half carton sitting out in the garage freezer. To me that's a real test. I know they are there. But I just didn't care. Now being pregnant again, it's the furtherest thing from my mind... I will never go back to it. 20 years of damage to the lungs. ICK.
MrsSledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #17
audio1der

Good luck buddy! I've never smoked (tried it but didn't see the attraction) but have heard everything tastes better once you do; imaginw what it will do for the taste of your cigars!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #18
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Day 4 today. Been doing awesome! Especially since I can smoke all the cigars I want lol. 7 cigars in the last 3-4 nights. Granted, I've been manning the grill the last few evenings too, so that had a part to play in it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSledn View Post
Good luck with quitting. I know for some it's harder then it is for others. I quit cold turkey in August 2009 when I found out I was pregnant. When I lost the baby, I didn't go back. I did have 3 during the past 2 years. I found when I was HIGHLY stressed, I pulled out a cigarette. Then another. Decided they tasted like crap. Months later and another HIGHLY stressful moment of weakness, I walked out to the garage and indulged. A few puffs in, my inner self started and the guilt was too overwhleming for me. I put the darn thing out after 4 puffs. Last one I ever had. And I still have a half carton sitting out in the garage freezer. To me that's a real test. I know they are there. But I just didn't care. Now being pregnant again, it's the furtherest thing from my mind... I will never go back to it. 20 years of damage to the lungs. ICK.
That would kill me! I can't even keep them around. You have much more willpower than me. Sorry to hear about the previous pregnancy, and congrats on the new one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post
Good luck buddy! I've never smoked (tried it but didn't see the attraction) but have heard everything tastes better once you do; imaginw what it will do for the taste of your cigars!
Thanks! I will do a full on test by smoking many cigars per day, and see how the taste improves
Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Peter, quit nearly 14 years ago. First - you have to WANT to quit and you have to want it for yourself. If not, you will venture back. Smoking for me started tasting really bad and I couldn't stand it. I was ready to give it up. Second - it will be as hard as you make it. It's not something that causes sickness or physical withdrawals (per se), so the mental part is the biggest. The first 3 months are the toughest, as you can tell someone, I haven't smoked in 12, 25, or 35 days. When it gets to the point where you can't remember the days, you're starting downhill. Third - never buy any more smokes. Eat sunflower seed, chew gum, chew on a toothpick, do anything to keep yourself busy when you feel the need to be busy. Lastly - one day at a time.

Best of luck.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #20
OLS
Suck It

Also I have found that WORK tends to be the main stressor I forgot. I used to get so made at people and think,
"Ill SHOW THEM, I'll go get me some smokes." How freaking stupid. If people get you upset, take a walk, get out
of the sitcho for a few minutes,