Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-14-2010, 04:18 AM   #21
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: torch and cutter, in flight carry on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
Same as everyone said above but don't think that just because you're in uniform you'll get some slack.
Yeah i understand. I was just mentioning it because previously i have gotten slack(lack of them really checking my stuff) because i was in uniform. Idk if thats normal but it was worth mentioning.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:29 AM   #22
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
Agreed!

Cheap cutter, cheap lighter or buy it there and toss it.

I've never had a problem with either but it's not worth it. I deal with the same crap cause I carry two pocket knives, always. So I leave them in the car and buy some cheapies when I land. I gift them before I get back on the plane to go home.
I hear ya, I wouldn't even THINK to take my Strider SMF on the plane with me. I would mail you're good **** to where ever you go.....cutters/lighters/knives whatever....and mail it back to your house afterwards. Especially if you're staying a few weeks. What does it cost $5-$7 bucks both ways? Don't risk your good stuff, ship it or don't but there's always cheapies that will get you by.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:43 AM   #23
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Yup, it can be a crapshoot with the TSA agents who don't understand their own policies...so I don't chance it with my good cutters.
I'd pull this up on my iPhone real quick if some TSA idiot wanted to pull my cutter out of my carry on:

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/prohib...s_10-24-07.pdf
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #24
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
Guillotine cutters can (and probably will) be snagged. Have never had a problem with a punch cutter...especially one on a key chain and I fly 2 to 3 times a week with it. Get a good punch cutter, get used to using it and buy a Jetlite for 4 bucks at walmart when you arrive.
Back in '99, I was going through customs while on military orders in Germany. I played hell getting that through even though I opened it up to show them it wasn't a real casing.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #25
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Back in '99, I was going through customs while on military orders in Germany. I played hell getting that through even though I opened it up to show them it wasn't a real casing.
Lol. Yeah. Probably not a good idea to get one shaped like an actual bullet! Cool for home, crappy for travel.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #26
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
I'd pull this up on my iPhone real quick if some TSA idiot wanted to pull my cutter out of my carry on:

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/prohib...s_10-24-07.pdf
Good luck "reasoning" with an uptight TSA agent.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #27
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Good luck "reasoning" with an uptight TSA agent.

it's not worth the hassle or fight. Just get on the plane and spend the $ when you land.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #28
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Last time I went to Vegas, I tossed a cheap cutter in my travel humi which was in my carry-on.
I didn't have any issues, but I didn't really care if they took it. I wasn't going to risk my Palio or Xikar and I'm not going to argue with the TSA Agent.

I was meeting a friend in Vegas who had a lighter, so I didn't bother trying to take one. Backup plan was to buy a cheapie there.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #29
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Hehe, better bring a cigar FOR her dad.
that indeed is the plan. bringing 4sticks back with me.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #30
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (84)
lbowles2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Unless they are in one of the approved containers that conform to DOT-SP 14327. I have one made by Colibri.

Hehe... I just got done posting this on another thread

I have used one of these a couple of times with no problem. I just packed it in my check-in luggage. I kind of doubt it would be allowed in carry on though.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #31
itzfrank

Why not just pre-cut the cigars before packing them? You can even check for a surprise draw problem before you leave.
xD
Old 09-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #32
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

My wife has been traveling a lot lately with her Xikar cutter in her purse and they finally caught it last week on her way to SLC. A number of the TSA agents looked it over and then allowed her to keep it. She stored in her checked bag for the trip home.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #33
itzfrank

If it were an open blade, it would be much different. however, the only real damage you could do with a cutter would be the removal of fingers and toes. It would be very hard to take over a plane with a cutter.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #34
aich75013
Feeling at Home

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzfrank View Post
If it were an open blade, it would be much different. however, the only real damage you could do with a cutter would be the removal of fingers and toes. It would be very hard to take over a plane with a cutter.
I'd like to see that explanation to the TSA Agent. "Oh come on, the worst I could do is cut off a finger or toe."
Old 09-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #35
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aich75013 View Post
I'd like to see that explanation to the TSA Agent. "Oh come on, the worst I could do is cut off a finger or toe."
TSA agents can act at their own discretion, they do not need to explain their decisions. They can confiscate items even if they are on the approved list. I am not sure why you would risk anything of value just to "test" the system.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #36
aich75013
Feeling at Home

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
TSA agents can act at their own discretion, they do not need to explain their decisions. They can confiscate items even if they are on the approved list. I am not sure why you would risk anything of value just to "test" the system.
I had a small pocket knife in my backpack once.
The agent asked me about it and gave me the option of mailing it home. She was very nice. I explained it was a cheap pocket knife and not worth the cost of shipping.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #37
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
If you were going to cut one of my digits off I would hand the plane over.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #38
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbowles2 View Post
Hehe... I just got done posting this on another thread

I have used one of these a couple of times with no problem. I just packed it in my check-in luggage. I kind of doubt it would be allowed in carry on though.
Correct....Checked luggage only.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #39
TheRuckus13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post
Well Im planning a trip home to visit my girl and family. Going to bring a few sticks back with me in a small travelador, which should be no problem at all. I am concerned however, about bringing my new xikar Xi2 and torch on the flight with me as im only bringing 1 bag(my carry on). Whats been everyone's experience with security handling cigar cutters and torches?

Note: security will be a bit lighter on me as i am military traveling in uniform.
Don't risk either, regulation says the cutter should be fine. However, my sister was TSA or whatever and out of confusion or trolling they would take them from people all the time. Half the time the guards are shady and if they can make sense out of confiscating something that's perfectly okay to have they will just so they can have it for themselves.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #40
T.Rit

Quote:
Unless they are in one of the approved containers that conform to DOT-SP 14327. I have one made by Colibri.

I Never had this problem the last 2 or so years on transatlantic flights. I put my torch in my toiletry bag, and the bag in my check-in luggage. Guess I should be more careful next time.