Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
beyonder
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Cohiba
beyonder is on a distinguished road
Default New Cabinet Humidor - Advice

Hi all, getting a new humidor and looking for advice on managing humidity in a larger humidor than I'm used to. Brief history, cigar smoker for close to twenty years, put it down a few years back and picked it back up within the last few months. Needless to say I forgot how much I loved it and the bug got me and I jumped back in full bore.

In the last couple months I've gone from my desk top 150ct to having boxes in temporary storage, with several more on the way, while upgrading to a cabinet humidor which is to be delivered Thursday. The humidor that is being delivered is the Pienza from Tampa Humidor and looks like to be the same as the Tower of Power that I have seen in some of the threads here with people showing their humidors. The humidifier that will be with it is the Hydra LG.

My question for those of you who are more experienced with larger humidors is advice on how to manage humidity in a larger space. My desk top is no problem as I've done that for years, the humidity stays stable with no problems. I would like to get input from those of you who are experienced with cabinet humidors, as I am not, in terms of placement of the larger humidifier (eg. top, middle, bottom), using additional beads as a way of absorbing humidity in the event that it wants to run high, or any other tips or advice on cabinet humidors in general.

Thanks in advance.
I appreciate any thoughts or input that folks are willing to provide; I want to make sure and do things as well as possible up front to protect my sticks.
beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
smelvis
Not part of the Clique

Trading: (16)
smelvis has disabled reputation
Default Re: New Cabinet Humidor - Advice

Hi
One of mine is the tower, I use a moist n aire active humidifier that can be had for $150 on the bottom. Then I have several pounds of beads from the top of the drawers to the top shelf. It all depends on how you set your shelves. MY one word of advice is don't sweat it the readings will be a few digits off from the top to the bottom but don't worry it use to drive me nuts.

I sometime rotate stock but really am just looking for mold and protecting my investment, I smoke out of this unit as well so it gets opened daily.

I often wonder if beads alone would work because in the summer the humidifier almost never turns on, but using a pellet stove the winter is a different story as it dries the air out . I may try if for a couple months and see.

Good luck.

Dave
smelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
beyonder
Just in from the Storm

Cohiba

Dave,

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I'm planning on having 3 lb of 65% heartfelt beads in the upper section to help stabilize humidity away from the humidifier and to keep humidity from getting too high (mold prevention and protecting my cigars is my largest concern also).

Have you found that the beads keep your humidifier pretty stable on their own with the humidifier not coming on as often? After reading up on the hydra, I'm considering modifying it to eliminate the green foam in the well (as discussed in another thread here) out of concern for mold developing in the foam if the humidifier comes on infrequently from having the beads in the cabinet and the water stands for longer periods of time.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
SterlingCigarMan

My humidor is 7' x 4' and holds over 3,000 sticks. I have been using the Hydra electronic humidifier, and have had no problems. Set it and go. Comes with an extra external fan for better circulation.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Nefari0us

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingCigarMan View Post
My humidor is 7' x 4' and holds over 3,000 sticks. I have been using the Hydra electronic humidifier, and have had no problems. Set it and go. Comes with an extra external fan for better circulation.

I too have the Hydra LG in my "Chancellor" tower with two external fans for circulation (actually just used 2 cheapo computer fans that I rigged to work with the hydra instead of buying the kit) and I haven't had any problems yet. Humidity is 1% lower up top, but thats not really an issue
Old 10-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyonder View Post
Dave,

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I'm planning on having 3 lb of 65% heartfelt beads in the upper section to help stabilize humidity away from the humidifier and to keep humidity from getting too high (mold prevention and protecting my cigars is my largest concern also).

Have you found that the beads keep your humidifier pretty stable on their own with the humidifier not coming on as often? After reading up on the hydra, I'm considering modifying it to eliminate the green foam in the well (as discussed in another thread here) out of concern for mold developing in the foam if the humidifier comes on infrequently from having the beads in the cabinet and the water stands for longer periods of time.
I have the Tower and I ONLY use Shilala beads in it. In fact, if you havent already purchased the Heartfelt, you might want to consider Shilala beads instead, for ME they have been much more stable, and I dont even worry about the RH% anymore.

That being said, beads plus the Hydra you should be in good shape. Make sure you season it just like you would a desktop unit though. Let the Hydra run for a week or so to give the wood some time to absorb moisture (so it doesnt rob it from your cigars)

Good luck!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
beyonder
Just in from the Storm

Cohiba

I really appreciate everybody's input. My plan was to place the Hydra LG in the bottom and have the 3 lb of 65% Heartfelt (already had ordered them, btw) distributed evenly throughout the top section and let it season for approximately two weeks with no wiping of the interior and just let the Hydra do the work, prior to introducing my cigars to their new home.

Nefarious and Sterling, you have the Hydra and said you've had no problems with yours. Have you experienced any of the issues some folks have expressed with mold in the container due to the foam or have you been completely happy with the unit? I realize that it's likely the problem isn't widespread and the people who have experienced that issue are the most likely to express things online and there may be other environmental factors at work with those folks, but mold isn't a problem I ever want to contend with.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I really appreciate everybody's input. My plan was to place the Hydra LG in the bottom and have the 3 lb of 65% Heartfelt (already had ordered them, btw) distributed evenly throughout the top section and let it season for approximately two weeks with no wiping of the interior and just let the Hydra do the work, prior to introducing my cigars to their new home.

Nefarious and Sterling, you have the Hydra and said you've had no problems with yours. Have you experienced any of the issues some folks have expressed with mold in the container due to the foam or have you been completely happy with the unit? I realize that it's likely the problem isn't widespread and the people who have experienced that issue are the most likely to express things online and there may be other environmental factors at work with those folks, but mold isn't a problem I ever want to contend with.

Dom and I both have Tower of Power humidors with Hydras in them. They make it nice. What I did with my hydra was removed the green foam and bought some of the water beads (the ones that don't hold humidity, just water). It works nicely and you dont have hardly any standing water... I keep the hydra at 67 and the beads are 65% in the top half so the whole thing sits about 64-66 and I really have no complaints!
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

I skip the active humidifier in my cabinet. Unless you live in an area with a lot of fluctuations, enough beads will keep it more than stable and save the problems that can come with relying on an active humidifier
Old 10-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
ylo2na

My advice would be to buy 6 or 7 digital hygrometers...nothing expensive. Walmart sells them for about $6 or 7 bucks. Place them around inside the cabinet which whill give you some fairly reliable RH and Temp readings. As long as you stay in the ball park of 70/70, you should be ok and having several hygrometers to assist, should be no problem. I have a walk-in humidor (9x12) and I have them all over. Some areas are higher, some lower but overall, mostly in the ball park. And, the best advice I can give is RELAX. Cigars are fairly hardy little treasures and can stand some fluctuations in your humidor. IF you really knew all the areas these cigars were parked before they got to you, you probably wouldnt buy them, yet, they are usually delivered in fairly good shape. Enjoy
Old 10-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
smelvis
Not part of the Clique

Trading: (16)
smelvis has disabled reputation

Quote:
Dave,

Yes they do, without them I would be lost. Plus with all the other answers you should be set to go. I may pick up another tower, if I do I am going to try it without active as someone suggested.

But so far in all my larger cabinets I have there moist n aire and it holds two quarts so I like the set up the way it is for now.

Lets us know how you end up and as someone suggested relax a few digits here and there do not matter.
smelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
waffle

So here's how I set mine up...

And sorry for stealing your thread!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
beyonder
Just in from the Storm

Cohiba

More thanks to everybody for advice, figured I'd provide an update for anyone curious. Been seasoning for five days (today is day 5) and humidity is stable. Problem with the Hydra, though, in that yesterday it shut itself off repeatedly (power off, not just the fans being off due to humidity being reached) and then it came on and stayed on again just fine, however, I think I'll exchange it as I'm assuming it is defective (if anyone has had something similar with a Hydra, let me know). I'll give it another day or two and if everything stays stable I'll go ahead and transfer my cigars.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #14
waffle

My plug is a bit loose in the cabinet, and tends to slip out. Check that out... I ended up putting something under it to keep it in place.