Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 04-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #3061
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quick advice requested... Grilling some burgers right now, and am topping with either:

Slice of deli pastrami, or

Leftover sliced filet mignon from Tuesday night?
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #3062
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Quick advice requested... Grilling some burgers right now, and am topping with either:

Slice of deli pastrami, or

Leftover sliced filet mignon from Tuesday night?
Posted via Mobile Device
pastrami
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #3063
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

And the quick answer gets it! Ready to add the cheese now, and I was thinking the filet might not hold its own against the burger.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #3064
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

The gf wanted filet, so I'm making two of each

Last edited by pektel; 04-12-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #3065
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Quote:
And the quick answer gets it! Ready to add the cheese now, and I was thinking the filet might not hold its own against the burger.
those are some strange toppings for a burger my friend.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #3066
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
those are some AWESOME toppings for a burger my friend.
Fixt.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #3067
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Filet burger:

And the pastrami burger:

The ground beef was well seasoned with A1, Worcestershire, onion powder, and garlic powder. Also added some oatmeal for good measure.

Put out some dipping sauces. Wouldve been extra good with a slice of onion.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #3068
Whipper Snapper
95% Banter 5% MMM Habanos

First Name: Blake
Trading: (0)
RA
Whipper Snapper has disabled reputation

So, being from kansas city, it's only appropriate that I take up the torch and start doing my own Q. I'm a bit intimidated honestly. My grandfather owned a BBQ restaurant for 25+ years, and my father has placed at several BBQ competitions. Needless to say, BBQ runs in the blood. I've got quite the family history, and city history to live up to.

Anyhow, my inlaws inherited a couple of barrel smokers that I'm welcome to and I'm pretty sure I'll be taking them for their first spin in the coming weeks. I'll let you all know how things turn out.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #3069
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Holy oversized pictures batman.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #3070
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Damnit. It happened again? Must be snap bucket app being dumb. Happened in another thread today too. Mobile site isn't the greatest for checking the post beforehand.

Just resized them. Hopefully it worked.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by pektel; 04-12-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #3071
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Damnit. It happened again? Must be snap bucket app being dumb. Happened in another thread today too. Mobile site isn't the greatest for checking the post beforehand.

Just resized them. Hopefully it worked.
Posted via Mobile Device
The resize worked. Thanks.

Do you have control over a default resizing with the app? If so, having it change all photos to 800x600 is generally a safe bet.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #3072
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Just checked, and nothing. Have to resize it in photobucket after uploading. Stupid design, I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #3073
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnorobo View Post
So, being from kansas city, it's only appropriate that I take up the torch and start doing my own Q. I'm a bit intimidated honestly. My grandfather owned a BBQ restaurant for 25+ years, and my father has placed at several BBQ competitions. Needless to say, BBQ runs in the blood. I've got quite the family history, and city history to live up to.

Anyhow, my inlaws inherited a couple of barrel smokers that I'm welcome to and I'm pretty sure I'll be taking them for their first spin in the coming weeks. I'll let you all know how things turn out.
Don't forget the camera.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #3074
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Blake it will be good to see your efforts in pictures here. I have never found a more serious thread in this entire
website than the smoker thread, and almost all of us have learned a tremendous amount since we have been
smoking meat. I periodically shock myself. And it seems I rarely embarrass myself, lol, at least not in cooking.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #3075
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Also added some oatmeal for good measure.
I discovered oatmeal one day when I realized I had no crumbs of any kind, nor no eggs in the fridge,
and I thought, I bet oatmeal would work PERFECT in that role.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #3076
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

125 lbs of pork cruising along at 225...nieghborhood smells amazing!
Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #3077
OLS
Suck It

Yesterday I Grilled 6 burgers, then readied the smoker to smoke 6 chicken legs and 8 pork fingers,
or "western Style Pork Ribs" I love those things!
When that was done I smoked a slab of bacon that had been cut up for this asian-style pork belly
that Jon brought up the other day. i got ready to commence that recipe and realized I had no braising
wine or soy sauce. So I smoked them and then cut them up last night into bacon. You know, when I
throw up the lid to the smoker and say, MAN THAT LOOKS UNBELIEVABLE, I should get my CAMERA!
I am sad to say that only one photo was taken and even THAT was after the meat had been put up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoked chicken legs.jpg (114.7 KB, 385 views)
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #3078
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Cooked 125 lbs of pork butt Saturday night for a church picnic yesterday. This time I did a couple of things a little different than I usually do and man did it turn out great. Thanks Brent for letting me steal a couple of your techniques!

I pulled a Smokin' Gator though and didn't take many pictures, just a couple of crappy cell pictures that I was teasing Justin (emopunker) with around 4:00 am while he was working and a couple of hours away from breakfast!

I'll see if dad snapped a couple.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #3079
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Nice work, as always...what did you do different....inquiring minds wanna know!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #3080
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

I tweaked my rub just a little, but the biggest change was after the butts came up to the usual 190* in the smoker, I double wrapped them in foil and put them in a cooler for a while. In the past when cooking like this, I would just hold the butts in the cooker at a low temp (around 140* to keep them out of the "danger zone"), and then I would start pulling about an hour before service time.

This time I pulled them off the smoker and wrapped at 4am, grabbed a couple of hours sleep, then packed up my rig and headed up to the location we would be serving at. I re-fired the smoker and let it come back up to temperature while I set up the tables, etc., and then about an hour before service, we took the meat out of the coolers and pulled it into pans and placed them in the smoker at around 140* until service.

I have not really ever had a problem with my product "drying out" in the past, but I definately felt the meat tasted more moist this time. The other benefit was that I actually was able to get started earlier, therefore finished earlier, and was able to get at least a couple of hours sleep.

If I hadn't of had so much fun sitting up with Graffiti and F100Jeff eating the awesome steaks Graffiti brought, smoking great cigars and drinking quality adult beverages, I probably could have finished up a couple of hours earlier and gotten even more sleep