Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about
Default Universal Remote Controls - Suggestions Needed

Have my system all set up like I want - problem is it's got 7 different remote controls. So am looking at getting one of them there universal units. Was looking at the HarmonyŽ One Advanced Universal Remote.

Anybody have one? Good or Bad? Any other suggestions? I know I don't want one of those bigass console looking ones.

Thanks,

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
SilverFox

Default Re: Universal Remote Controls - Suggestions Needed

In my opinion you picked the best.

I have the logitech on both my systems and it is so simple to set up I picked one up for each of my Inlaws and parents.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Yes on the Harmony. Yes, yes, yes.

We have 2. I've given 2 to the parents. I've recommended them to friends and they have loved them.

All of the Harmony remotes are pretty much the same under the hood, as far as being programmed via the web interface. The more expensive ones just add touchscreens, rechargeable batteries or RF extenders.

Are there more fancy remotes out there with more customization? Yes. Are there simpler remotes out there? Yes. But nothing can match the combination of the simplicity and customization combined of the Harmony remotes.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rich
smokeyandthebandit05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
Have my system all set up like I want - problem is it's got 7 different remote controls. So am looking at getting one of them there universal units. Was looking at the HarmonyŽ One Advanced Universal Remote.

Anybody have one? Good or Bad? Any other suggestions? I know I don't want one of those bigass console looking ones.

Thanks,

Ron
Exactly what I was goin to recommend! Ive heard nothing but good from these and would like to get one for my house some day
Old 01-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
jitzy
Illusione Whore

Trading: (17)
Bolivar
jitzy is on a distinguished road

I had an older harmony and just switched to that one on friday and love it even more than my old one, it does all the same things as the old one (I had the xbox one) but it really sits in the hand really well. I got mine on ebay for 169 and it was new in the box you have to make sure it says new or they will try and get you with a refurb.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

Harmony one is by far the best all around universal remote
skullnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

I'm not familiar with that model, but I have the 890 and it's GREAT. I got it on Amazon for less than $100. If you keep your eyes on the website Ben's Bargains they usually pop up on there every once in a while at a good price. They're SUPER easy to program and very easy to use. I had a touch screen remote that came with my Marantz receiver that was much more complicated to use. When I moved in with my wife I decided I needed something simpler and so I got the 890. She has no problems using it.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
LookAtBigErn82
Munson, Roy E.??

First Name: Steve
Trading: (12)
Partagas
LookAtBigErn82 is on a distinguished road

Simply an awesome remote. This thing will control just about anything, even my PS3. Highly recommended.
LookAtBigErn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #9
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Well that's good to hear. The controller that came with my Denon 3808CI leaves a lot to be desired. Heck the remote zone controller that came with it seems to work better.

So I'll look around and see who has what on a deal.

Thanks everyone!

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #10
tchariya
Taters of the lost Ark

Trading: (13)
RG
tchariya will become famous soon enoughtchariya will become famous soon enough

I love my Harmony. It controls my world. I love the macro programming through web/internet. Mine is shaped like the Tivo peanut.
tchariya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #11
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

I couldn't live without my harmony remote. Seriously.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:14 AM   #12
jkim05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (17)
PL
jkim05 is on a distinguished road

When I saw the thread title, I was gonna recommend the Harmony one. I have one in my theatre and it's great, there is a bit of time required to set it up and program everything just the way you want, but it'll do almost anything you can think of. The only consideration is if you want to use it with a PS3, there are a couple work around options because the PS3 doesn't support IR and the Harmony One doesn't do bluetooth. Other than that, it's a great remote with incredible features. I also love the recharging station.
jkim05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #13
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

I had a Harmony - I think the 890. Basically I chose this model for the wireless functionality. The remote sent RF to a base which then used IR flashers to redirect the signal to the boxes - so basically I could keep everything behind a solid wood cabinet door.
The one thing that was infuriating was that every time you made a change to the way the remote was programmed, you had to sync not only the remote itself to your computer, but also the base station. So each time you had to unplug the base station from power, and also unplug all the IR flashers. Now, the whole reason for having this remote was to hide things in a cabinet - which meant by definition that the base was not exactly easy to get to / pull out.
A somewhat less annoying problem was that it would randomly stop working, and require the batteries to be removed, and the remote to be re-connected with the base.
Overall I liked it but I'm not sure I would get another one because of the base station sync issue.
I guess this would not be a problem with a plain IR remote...
Old 01-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #14
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Partagas
MTB996 is on a distinguished road

Wow, lotsa love for the Harmony.

Just to throw out another option: Universal Remote Control (URC). IMO they are more professional quality products, but more $ and somewhat more difficult to set-up.

I also recommend the Harmony, although I do not have one. If they made an RF version of the Harmony One, I would get it. My new LCD plays games with the IR cable box for the first couple minutes after turning the TV on, so an RF option would make it perfect.

I also own an older Pronto touch screen. These are good remotes, but best left for professional set-up. If set up properly, they are awesome, but complex and pricey.
MTB996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
nozero

I have the Harmony 550. It eats batteries, probably because the backlight comes on now and then for no appararent reason. I wish I could select the order of the screens for each device, for example if it's not on, and I want to turn on the AV Receiver, I hit the Devices button, then the AV Receiver button, then have to hit the menu advance button 10 times to get to the power on button for the AV Receiver. It's easier just to turn everything off (with one button) and start over.

From an all devices off state, it's only two buttons - Activities followed by the specific activity button you desire like watch TV, watch a DVD, listen to the radio, etc..

I like it, but when I got mine about 2 years ago, I paid close to $150 or it. I've often felt as though I should have returned it for a refund, but never did.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #16
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozero View Post
I have the Harmony 550. It eats batteries, probably because the backlight comes on now and then for no appararent reason. I wish I could select the order of the screens for each device, for example if it's not on, and I want to turn on the AV Receiver, I hit the Devices button, then the AV Receiver button, then have to his the menu advance button 10 times to get to the power on button for the AV Receiver. It's easier just to turn everything off (with one button) and start over.

From an all devices off state, it's only two buttons - Activities followed by the specific activity button you desire like watch TV, watch a DVD, listen to the radio, etc..

I like it, but when I got mine about 2 years ago, I paid close to $150 or it. I've often felt as though I should have returned it for a refund, but never did.

You mean the AV receiver is not on after starting an activity? If that is the case then does using the "Help" feature work?

If not, (like if you want to just turn it on when you are not in an activity) does the 550 have the "Sound" button? My 688 has a "Sound" button that has AV Receiver specific commands that are present and the same no matter which activity I am in ("Picture" is the same for the Monitor).

Or you could just create an activity and call it "AV ON" or whatever that does just that. I have an activity for "Listen to FM" and "Listen to iPod" that basically just turn on the receiver.

You can also adjust the backlight settings in the setup if it is staying on too long.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #17
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
I have the Harmony 550. It eats batteries, probably because the backlight comes on now and then for no appararent reason. I wish I could select the order of the screens for each device, for example if it's not on, and I want to turn on the AV Receiver, I hit the Devices button, then the AV Receiver button, then have to hit the menu advance button 10 times to get to the power on button for the AV Receiver. It's easier just to turn everything off (with one button) and start over.

this sort of thing can happen if your av receiver doesn't have discrete on/off signals - just a power toggle.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #18
nozero

Oops, just figured out how to reorder the menu... Damn...
Old 01-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #19
tchariya
Taters of the lost Ark

Trading: (13)
RG
tchariya will become famous soon enoughtchariya will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Oops, just figured out how to reorder the menu... Damn...
2 years later! RTFM? :P

I hate that....it is always easier to develop a routine instead of finding a solution!
tchariya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #20
zonedar

I have a Harmony one. I think it's called Harmony as that what it contributes to the marriage. Even my wife can control the home theater system now. The 'Help' button is a stroke of genius in guiding her through stuff if it failed to turn something on.

It's really easy to set up initially. Maybe 30 minutes. But plan on spending another half a day tweaking on it to get it the way you want.