Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
guado
OCD cigar hoarder

Trading: (4)
Partagas
guado will become famous soon enoughguado will become famous soon enough
Default Padilla/Studio Tobac Figurado.

Well this much anticipated stick finally landed into some hands and hopefully more reviews will be posted soon. I smoked this with no drink. Not even water.

The Band

Back of the band

The stick is a beautiful and oily dark brown. The one I chose to smoke today had what seemed like a cut in the wrapper with at the fattest part of the cigar. Did not affect the smoke whatsoever just made a note of it. None of the other ones had any blemishes. (small blemish can be noted in the ashed nipple pic)

This cigar was VERY firm and almost scary. I thought it was going to smoke with a very firm draw. To my surprise the draw was perfect. Just enough resistance to let you know you are drawing on a well crafted cigar. It seems as if the Oliva V figurado molds were used for this stick. I could be mistaken.

The smell of the unlit cigar was that is a tangy sweet barnyard if you can imagine that! LOL

The nipple of the figurado lit neatly and it burned onto the fat part with minimal runs.(I usually never light this size correctly and it runs badly).

The smoke was minimal until it did open up to the larger part of the cigar, which I did expect. Once it opened there was a spice in the forefront along with what I describe as a ducle de leche that was just slightly overdone. You could also describe it as the crust on a slightly over done creme brulee. Some note of hay were also noted.

Continues on next post...
Old 07-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
guado
OCD cigar hoarder

Partagas
Default Re: Padilla/Studio Tobac Figurado.

There as not a large nose burn noted. A little further down some espresso beans were noted in the mix, maintaining the residual hay. The taste of this cigar is what I describe as a clean cigar. Meaning the only aftertaste is pleasant and light.

Moving along with the cigar a tanginess begins to build in a sweet and soft manner. The espresso is more noted and there is a background of nuts in the nose. For the life of me I could not pinpoint which type.

Ash Finally fell off with a bump.

-Bands removed-

At this point the espresso has moved forward. The nuttiness has gone away and there is a faint spice lingering.

I have reached the point of about where the lion would be on the band. Flavors are maintaining but I am done with the cigar. At this point is where I describe this cigar as giving me its maximum enjoyment.

Unfortunately I did not time this cigar but if I recall correctly it was the better part of an hour and a half. No touch ups other than it almost going out from me talking to an old friend too much.

I will smoke a couple more and make sure they all smoke the same and come back to this post. I think this cigar will be great smoked fresh. I am unsure what aging may do on this one.

One point I wanted to make was that this cigar did NOT dry out my mouth. It was such a smooth cigar. The lingering aftertaste is pleasant.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review...
Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Eddie.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Good review.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Nicde review, Eddie.
Good loolin' cigar, too. I used to be a big Padilla fan at one time.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
guado
OCD cigar hoarder

Partagas

This one is blended by Ernesto using Olivas tobaccy. That is what I have been told.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I used to be a big Padilla fan at one time.
Me too as well as many, many others. Then Ernesto wanted full control over his cigars. Hasn't worked out too well. The Miami's and 32's used to be must have cigars. Now, meh. After Pepin stopped making them, they fell off the edge of the world yet still tout the ratings those cigars received even though they are different now.

Maybe this one will put Padilla back in the spotlight.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
guado
OCD cigar hoarder

Partagas

Some of his newer stuff that I smoked at his store in miami was VERY nice! I Would definitely give him another go.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

I still smoke a good number of padilla sticks

thanks for the review
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Great review and pics Eddie!!!

I would agree on almost everything except that this cigar did dry my palate. I smoked it sans beverage and instead of an espresso note I would say, to me, it was more a creamy coffee or even a slight toffee. The nutty flavor leaned towards maybe, walnut?

Very short, clean finish and amazing construction. Medium in body and flavor. This one didn't remind me of any Oliva or Padilla I have smoked, IMO, it is it's own monster.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

holy frikkin cow, you got that awesome cutter, lucky bastage!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Great review. That's an awesome looking stick. It sounds like it didn't disappoint!