Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default MP3 Ear Buds

Can anyone recommend good sturdy earbuds? I've tried cheap ones and more expensive ones, and none seem to hold up very well. I'm not hard on my stuff, but for some reason I don't get more than a few months out of earbuds before something breaks. On the ones I have now, the metal screen over the speaker broke off, and now the speaker sounds like crap. Any suggestions?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: MP3 Ear Buds

What is your price range?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Prefer not to go over $100. $50 is even better.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

I use Shure earbuds for my listening pleasure. They start at $100 and go up (I have the low end buds for now). They have several replaceable sleeve buds that fit differently in your ear, depending on your usuage. I like the form sleeve since they conform to my ear and don't slip out when I am at the gym.

http://store.shure.com/store/shure/e...oryID.12165500
Old 05-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

IMHO the Koss Sparkplugs are the best bang for yer buck in that price range.

I have two pair and I like em a lot. mmmm hmmmmm

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Although mine are nowhere near under the price point you are looking for, I absolutely love my Shure SE420-K earbuds.
I found that over the 2-3 years of buying inexpensive earbuds I easily spent a total that equals the cost of the Shure's.

Shure makes some less expensive models that are excellent also:

SE110
SE210

Both are under $100.00 at amazon

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Skull Candy
Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
Skull Candy
+1
Old 05-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagleone View Post
I use Shure earbuds for my listening pleasure. They start at $100 and go up (I have the low end buds for now). They have several replaceable sleeve buds that fit differently in your ear, depending on your usuage. I like the form sleeve since they conform to my ear and don't slip out when I am at the gym.

http://store.shure.com/store/shure/e...oryID.12165500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Although mine are nowhere near under the price point you are looking for, I absolutely love my Shure SE420-K earbuds.
I found that over the 2-3 years of buying inexpensive earbuds I easily spent a total that equals the cost of the Shure's.

Shure makes some less expensive models that are excellent also:

SE110
SE210

Both are under $100.00 at amazon
Shure is where it's at. They are built to withstand the rigors of touring with musicians so they will stand up to your commute easily.

Try to find your self a set of e2's.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-E2c-Soun...2687578&sr=8-1

If I understand correctly the se110 is the replacement for those but the e2's seem a lot more durable to me and are about half the price of the se110. I've had mine for going on 5 years now. Definitely get the foam buds for them, I find the foam much more comfortable than the plastic.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE my Shures...now Beats by Dre make a nice set too (I have the full size headphones by Beats By Dre and they are AWESOME!!!! Like sitting in the studio...with the studio time price...$ 350). Just my
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #11
leasingthisspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
Skull Candy
+2
Old 05-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

+1 for Shure

Right at $90 in the Scratch and Dent on Crutchfield, I got a jam up set. I use the silicon tips in the gym and the expandable foam in the yard. Nice sounding bass from such little guys.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #13
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

I'm leaning towards some of the Shure models in the under $100 bracket. Am I going to like the "sound isolation" earbuds in an office environment? Are they difficult to take off and put on to talk with colleagues, answer the phone, etc?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #14
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
I'm leaning towards some of the Shure models in the under $100 bracket. Am I going to like the "sound isolation" earbuds in an office environment? Are they difficult to take off and put on to talk with colleagues, answer the phone, etc?
Most in-ear style headphones are going to do a large amount of isolation. For example, I wear mine on the train and I don't hear anything, but I like that. To hear anyone talk I just pop one out. Putting them in takes a little getting used to but it really only takes a second.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #15
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

I looked at the Shure and Bose models for my iPod Touch. Never had anything by Bose before - but ended up going with them as I like the way the earpiece was designed and it came with three different tips.

The clarity and detail across all the ranges is just freaking incredible. And I was shocked at the bass - just never imagined it could be that good. I really just couldn't be happier. A solid 5 out of 5 stars for me.

It also came with a very nice zippered leather case that is sized exactly to hold the iPod Touch in along with the headset. Perfect for me.

Right at the $100 selling mark at Best Buy.

Ron

RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:23 AM   #16
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

Thanks guys. I've been looking at the Shure SE110 earphones on Amazon. The customer feedback they use makes me nuts. Most people rank the SE110 very well within it's price range, but then there's some who say the bass sucks. I wish there was some ranking system out there that would definitively say that "XYZ" model is the best under $100. Would make my decision making easier.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #17
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

I've been using a pair of Sony earbuds for about 3-4 years now. I use them on the train commuting every day with no problems.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance is similar, as is http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...8F7IJ&v=glance

$100 is a waste of money, IMO. Those Sony buds are $25-$35 and, I think, just as good.
FYI, generally the people complaining about lack of bass response are not wearing the buds correctly. These need to be in your ear canal. If they are sitting on the outside, you get poor response and less isolation.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #18
morefifemusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
Thanks guys. I've been looking at the Shure SE110 earphones on Amazon. The customer feedback they use makes me nuts. Most people rank the SE110 very well within it's price range, but then there's some who say the bass sucks. I wish there was some ranking system out there that would definitively say that "XYZ" model is the best under $100. Would make my decision making easier.
Wish granted.

Headfi.org IEM comparisons pt.1

Headfi.org IEM comparisons pt.2

I personally would recommend HeadDirect RE2s. They have a combo deal going on right now in which you can get the IEMs and a Fiio E5 Heaphone Amp for $50 (or you can get just the IEMs for $39. These do sound significantly better amped but will blow many IEMs out of the water even unamped.

That said, look the threads over and pick what is in your price range and meets your needs. I thoroughly enjoy my Re2s though.

-Tyler
Old 05-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #19
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Lots of great recomendations on here! I would go with shure. I use Vmoda earbuds, great bass and good sound. I think on amazon or buy.com has them for cheap.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #20
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

My go to are Shure SE530 but for the money you can't go wrong with Head Direct’s RE1 with a headphone amp without an amp Head Direct RE2.
skullnrose is offline   Reply With Quote