Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #61
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rangers VS Tigers

Rangers are just looking like a better team right now. That lineup doesn't have a lot of holes in it and it's making all the difference. It sure would be nice to have a healthy Bosch and Young out there right now. Not that we're out of it just yet - I expect Verlander to win today and I like how Scherzer pitched in Texas. And of course anything can happen in a game 7, especially with Fister pitching. As a side note, I'm really sorry we gave up Furbush in the Fister deal. Having both of those guys on the team would have been awesome.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #62
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonw560 View Post
The Tigers need to keep the Rangers out of extra inning games. If they get there, end it in 10. If it goes to 11, hope Nelson Cruz isn't batting. If he is, intentionally walk him. Especially if the bases are loaded. Just sayin'. can't wait for game 5. Hope C J pitches better tomorrow.
True enough. Tigers should have won that with a sac-fly in the 8th. Napoli played it well, Cabrera did not.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #63
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Rangers are just looking like a better team right now. That lineup doesn't have a lot of holes in it and it's making all the difference. It sure would be nice to have a healthy Bosch and Young out there right now. Not that we're out of it just yet - I expect Verlander to win today and I like how Scherzer pitched in Texas. And of course anything can happen in a game 7, especially with Fister pitching. As a side note, I'm really sorry we gave up Furbush in the Fister deal. Having both of those guys on the team would have been awesome.
Agreed on all accounts.

I still have hope..
Old 10-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #64
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
A win won't matter jack to the economic woes of Detroit, and since I doubt their fans would "be nice" the net result may be a loss, once all the wildfires and looting is done.

No offense intended, but realistically that's the likely outcome.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #65
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

We're goin' back to Texas.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #66
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
We're goin' back to Texas.
2 more games! Hope the Tigers saved some hits for while they are in Texas.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #67
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

Wilson should have been pulled much earlier in this game. I almost thought they were holding him in to concede the game to Detroit rather than wear out the BP, and instead get some rest and be ready to take the next game.

Either way, Texas still managed some runs and I think they will close out the series in Game 6.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #68
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneycollector View Post
Wilson should have been pulled much earlier in this game. I almost thought they were holding him in to concede the game to Detroit rather than wear out the BP, and instead get some rest and be ready to take the next game.

Either way, Texas still managed some runs and I think they will close out the series in Game 6.
I definitely thought Washington managed like he had a 3-1 lead, which may have been the right way to do it. Both bullpens have been taxed and I can't blame him for thinking he has 2 home games to wrap this up. That said, anything can happen. I'm obviously hoping for the Tigers to take 2 more.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #69
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Tigers saved their bullpen too, Boys.

Hope Scherzer can pitch another one like the last one. If so, we may get to see Mr. Fister in Game 7.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 10-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #70
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Max to face off against the "Dutch-Stache" in Game 6. I hope the lively bats (Tigers' bats) carry over and that Sherzer is sharp.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #71
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

I think the Rangers will close out the series in Game 6. If Holland struggles at all I think you will see Washington put in Scott Feldman.I think Holland will be on a very short leash.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #72
TonySmith
Feeling at Home

AirForce
TonySmith has disabled reputation

nine run 3rd inning...go Rangers
TonySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #73
TonySmith
Feeling at Home

AirForce

Detroit has played a good series and I hate to be premature but I think the Rangers have won. I think Detroit had better starting pitchers, but the Rangers had the better bats
Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #74
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

12-4...Had a good year Tigers.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #75
TonySmith
Feeling at Home

AirForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by acruce View Post
I think the Rangers will close out the series in Game 6. If Holland struggles at all I think you will see Washington put in Scott Feldman.I think Holland will be on a very short leash.
Good prediction
Old 10-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #76
RRocket
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (10)
RRocket is on a distinguished road

Terrible managing by Leyland in this one, IMO. This game was a "must win" game but Leyland managed it like a regular season game. It was apparent to everyone (but Leyland) that Max didn't have it very early on, and the game would get out of control in a hurry at a time when you needed to keep it close. How much more convincing did Leyland need? Was it Max's inability to throw strikes, particularly first pitch strikes and getting behind nearly every batter? Maybe it was the 4 walks? Whatever Leyland didn't see, it seemed like everyone else was clued in Max didn't have good stuff. I was hollering for him to be pulled in the 2nd and bring Porcello in. Remember, this is the season on the line here and not a time to hope that Max would somehow, someway figure it out and turn it around. As usual, there was no sense of urgency from Leyland at all. It's a fatal Leyland flaw that he's way too generous and way too loyal to certain players.

Instead, he leaves him in too long and sets an impossible table for Schlereth. Then he pulls Porcello too early. Porcello would have been good for 4-5 innings at least. Sure Porcello got jobbed by a missed call on second, and if not for that the Tigers get out of the inning with little damage. Even so, why pull Porcello? You pull Porcello early, and you have to go to a bullpen that's been shaky at best for long relief. Are you trying to tell me going to Perry then Penny (who hadn't even pitched PERIOD) was a better chance of winning then leaving Porcello in and then come back out for the next few innings? I knew if he pulled Porcello, they had nobody reliable for long relief and the game was more than likely over.

Leyland blew this game. His questionable pitching decisions not only took them out of the game, but allowed the Tigers to be embarrassed.

Last edited by RRocket; 10-15-2011 at 10:38 PM.
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #77
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Great series. The Tigers were a worthy opponent. They have my respect, especially since they defeated the Evil Empire in the LDS.

Go Rangers!!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #78
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Congrats to the Rangers and their fans, they were the better team in this series and deserve to move on. Their offensive line-up is like Murderer's Row.

Much better than expected season for the Tigers, they gave us some excitement.

Regardless of Leyland's managing, the team (pitchers and defense) gave up 15 runs, so I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Jackson, Avila, and others left their bats in the regular season, and the pitching didn't live up to the regular season either, with the exception of Fister. Don't make Leyland the scapegoat for a team failure.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #79
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Didn't Porcello give up about 6 of those runs in the 3rd? I was cleaning birds at the time, so I didn't see it live. Keep him in 4-5 innings, could have been about 20-5. The bats were HOT this game.

I agree with Tom. Don't make Leyland the scapegoat. He managed the way he thought was best.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #80
RRocket
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (10)
RRocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonw560 View Post
Didn't Porcello give up about 6 of those runs in the 3rd? I was cleaning birds at the time, so I didn't see it live. Keep him in 4-5 innings, could have been about 20-5. The bats were HOT this game.

I agree with Tom. Don't make Leyland the scapegoat. He managed the way he thought was best.

Porcello only had 2 ER in the game. Would have had one if ump didn't blow call at 2nd.
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote