Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-25-2014, 06:35 AM   #121
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2014 MLB Thread

I heard yesterday that Greg Maddux is going into the HOF as a no-logo. He can't decide whether to go in as a Brave or Cubbie. I started thinking about it on the way home yesterday, and I remember him playing, and marveling at his control, as a Brave. But when I see him in my head, he's wearing a Cubs hat.
Randy Johnson is up next year. I wonder what he'll do? He's as much a Diamondback as he is a Mariner, time split pretty much evenly, and his best stats as a Diamondback.
I don't see him as anything but a Mariner. Kinda the same as Maddux, but I'd understand if Maddux went in under the Braves logo. It wouldn't feel right if Johnson went in as a Diamondback.

Which begs the question, why can't guys go in under two logos? What the heck is the difference? Most guys finish their careers heavily weighted to one team, or they used to. Now it's not odd for a pitcher to see 10 teams in a career.
I just wondered what you guys thought?
Old 01-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #122
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Good points, Scott, I wouldn't have an issue with "dual citizenship" either.

I am most concerned with it wil be as a Cub, Yankee, Tiger, Brave, Royal, Ray, Blue Jay or Pirate when Kyle Farnsworth is inducted.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #123
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Yah Kyle is a lock, he better start trying to decide now just so when the time comes he's ready and committed, well one of you should be committed.

Here is an interview that talks about about the process, too much to put here, no hijacking, but it's a combination of the HOF staff and researchers and then they have conversations with the player to make sure the player is ok with the choice. They talk about about Gary Carter not being happy with the HOF deciding he should go in representing the Expos.

Edit: forgot to link the interview, there goes my shot at the Hall. :

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...terview/090723
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #124
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I see why they can't do the dual citizenship thing, being there's a cast of them with the logo on their cap. It makes me wonder if anyone has entered with a no-logo?
Adam, go look that up. You're not doin anything.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #125
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I heard yesterday that Greg Maddux is going into the HOF as a no-logo. He can't decide whether to go in as a Brave or Cubbie. I started thinking about it on the way home yesterday, and I remember him playing, and marveling at his control, as a Brave. But when I see him in my head, he's wearing a Cubs hat.
Randy Johnson is up next year. I wonder what he'll do? He's as much a Diamondback as he is a Mariner, time split pretty much evenly, and his best stats as a Diamondback.
I don't see him as anything but a Mariner. Kinda the same as Maddux, but I'd understand if Maddux went in under the Braves logo. It wouldn't feel right if Johnson went in as a Diamondback.

Which begs the question, why can't guys go in under two logos? What the heck is the difference? Most guys finish their careers heavily weighted to one team, or they used to. Now it's not odd for a pitcher to see 10 teams in a career.
I just wondered what you guys thought?
I agree, two logos is better than not going in with any at all. Maddux needs to be a Cub and Brave
Old 01-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #126
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Scott, I read yesterday as part of that Maddux story that some players, faced with the same dilemma, have entered the HOF with no logo, but I don't remember which. I'll look and see if I can find it again.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #127
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

According to the article on mlb.com, nine players are now in the HOF without logos: Yogi Berra, Catfish Hunter, Andy Cooper, Frank Grant, Pete Hill, Biz Mackey, Luis Santop, Ben Tayor, and Cristobal Torriente. New inductee Tony La Russa has also chosen to have no logo.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #128
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Breaking down the Top 100 prospects, the Red Sox have more than any other team with 9, while the Yankees continue to try to buy players instead of have a good farm system have only 1 in the top 100.

Chad Finn has this to say: "Mookie Betts had an electrifying breakthrough to the point he might be the best second base prospect in the minors right now." Catcher prospect Blake Swihart is being favorably compared to Buster Posey, and third baseman prospect Garin Cecchini has been called a "future AL batting champion" by at least two farm system directors. Finally, the Red Sox have, according to Baseball America, "the deepest haul of pitching prospects in any team in the majors."

Life is good.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #129
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Breaking down the Top 100 prospects, the Red Sox have more than any other team with 9, while the Yankees continue to try to buy players instead of have a good farm system have only 1 in the top 100.
One of these days somebody will be able to say something positive about their team without simultaneously feeling the necessity to try to insult another team in the process. But evolution is slow, and mankind has a long way to go to reach enlightenment.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #130
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Buster Who?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:17 PM   #131
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Buster Who?
Catcher / 1st Baseman for the SF Giants, from what I can see he's a .300 hitter, guess he has other tools though. (I didn't really get the comparison either but I suppose it's a compliment to him).
Old 01-27-2014, 07:37 AM   #132
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

When they say he's the next Kyle Farnsworth, then I will be impressed. Kyle could catch almost as amazingly as he could pitch.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #133
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
When they say he's the next Kyle Farnsworth, then I will be impressed. Kyle could catch almost as amazingly as he could pitch.
Totally agree, Tom, I hear he has amazing range at short when he played for the Yankees, ok not amazing but better than Jeter.

Oh and TP it's called a rivalry.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #134
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Let's Go Mets!!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #135
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Totally agree, Tom, I hear he has amazing range at short when he played for the Yankees, ok not amazing but better than Jeter.

Oh and TP it's called a rivalry.
No, it's called a lack of class, which is what passes for sportsmanship in Boston.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #136
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
No, it's called a lack of class, which is what passes for sportsmanship in Boston.
Interesting comment.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #137
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Last warning, fellas. Keep it civil.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #138
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Last warning, fellas. Keep it civil.
I'd love to, Peter, if others would refrain from poking bears for no reason other than to poke bears.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #139
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I'd love to, Peter, if others would refrain from poking bears for no reason other than to poke bears.
Since you feel compelled to hash this out publicly, I will let you know that you are part of the problem. I can't be any more clear.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #140
AdamJoshua

Ortiz looking for a multi-year deal at 39, I can see one year + one or two(max) that are incentive heavy. Lester says he wants to come back and is willing to give a big hometown discount to stay in Boston like Dustin P. did, how can you not love guys like that?

With Grady Sizemore signed the Red Sox have assured themselves of selling many many more pink hats this season, there was some concern with Dreamboat (Ellsbury) leaving town to cash in that the pink hats would leave the team in droves without someone to replace him.