Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #21
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Looking for some help with a humi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBoi View Post
Sorry its been a couple of days, been slammed at work. I'm almost sold on the cigar oasis. Here is a question though. Has anyone used an "old school" hygrometer in unison with something like the govee? can this be done or is it better to have one or the other. I really only want to have to do this once. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Any hygrometer is measuring relative humidity so, “in theory” you should be able to use different hygrometers side by side. But, in the real world, all hygrometers have inaccuracies. For example, the govee is rated at +/- 3 percentage points. So, two hygrometers sitting next to each other aren’t always going to read exactly the same, even if you calibrate them. Then, you’re gonna have to start a new thread asking which one is right. So, I would choose one, calibrate it and get used to which reading makes your cigars smoke happy.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:57 PM   #22
IrishBoi
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Eric
Trading: (0)
IrishBoi is on a distinguished road

I feel like Im choosing between the light and dark side now! Do I take the blue or red pill?
IrishBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:02 PM   #23
IrishBoi
Just in from the Storm

I think Im going to order both the giver and the cigar oasis. Calibrate them at the same time and see what happens Worst is I save one for the next him that comes along
Old 08-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #24
IrishBoi
Just in from the Storm

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to order cigars from. I know Im going to have to keep this thing stocked. Im looking at either Thompson or Corona. Im thinking in order to bulk up the bottom Ill just order some seconds just for mass to start with. Then ill most likely order 10-15 5 packs. Until I build another collection. Just wondering if there are any other good sites out there.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:06 PM   #25
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions as to where to order cigars from. I know Im going to have to keep this thing stocked. Im looking at either Thompson or Corona. Im thinking in order to bulk up the bottom Ill just order some seconds just for mass to start with. Then ill most likely order 10-15 5 packs. Until I build another collection. Just wondering if there are any other good sites out there.
Not Thompson! Atlantic Cigars Aways Have Good Prices & Great Customer Service. Also A Sticky Somewhere In The Forum For Suggested Cigar Sites.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:33 PM   #26
IrishBoi
Just in from the Storm

Sorry wasn't aware there was a sticky Ill check it out
Old 08-16-2020, 07:34 PM   #27
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

The sticky is at this link: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1612

Vendors come and go and also get better or worse over time. Posting in that thread about who is a good source now, esp w/ covid, would be most useful.

One thing that I will point out about cigars and hygrometers. It isn't that your cigars *must* be at some RH. Instead, you want to know at what RH, as displayed on your hygrometer(s), do your cigars smoke best at. It's all about personal preference and many have great advice, but in the end, you are going to be the one smoking them.

Hygrometers are a bit like watches. If you only have one watch, you always know what time it is. If you have more than one watch, you never know what time it is.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #28
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Mr. Mark is wise.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #29
IrishBoi
Just in from the Storm

RH? Relative Humidity?
Old 08-17-2020, 01:12 PM   #30
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
RH? Relative Humidity?
Correct Sir.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 08-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #31
IrishBoi
Just in from the Storm

Ok, So I stumbled upon the Boveda Butler today. Anyone have any experience or inside info on these. I like the fact that I would be able to use the same company for hygrometer and packs. They also make nice cedar holders for the packs. Im hoping you guys don't give em bad news lol
Old 08-18-2020, 05:31 AM   #32
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Ok, So I stumbled upon the Boveda Butler today. Anyone have any experience or inside info on these. I like the fact that I would be able to use the same company for hygrometer and packs. They also make nice cedar holders for the packs. Im hoping you guys don't give em bad news lol
https://cigarsdaily.com/product-cate...sories/page/2/
I've purchased A Boveda Butler From This Company Along With Some Fairly Decent $8.99 Hygrometers that are Pre-Set. I've Been Happy With Both.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:35 AM   #33
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Eric: I Use Boveda Packs For All My Cigars. I Recommend Either 65% Or 69%. Chances Are Your RH In Your Humidor May Run At That RH Or 1-2 Points Below It.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:28 AM   #34
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I am admittedly biased, but I prefer beads over Boveda packs. The Boveda packs work fine, but since they are preset they are less flexible than beads. Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:03 PM   #35
IrishBoi
Just in from the Storm

OK so Im going to ask this...Im fairly certain that the first post will be "there's a sticky for that" lol. Im not sure I understand the difference between the packs and beads. These are both new concepts since I was last in the lifestyle. What info is there out there regarding the 2?
Old 08-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #36
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

My understanding, the Boveda type packs are membranes and gel set to absorb or give off humidity at a set %. Michael please correct me but the beads (clay/ceramic type) are set to a porous structure to hold moisture and help maintain release into the closed environment.

I use a combo of the two. I use the packs to supply the water and I have trays and contains of beads in alternating areas of the humidor to help balance humidity through out.

Nice thing is with the combo of the two, I have not used a hydrometer for years. When the Boveda packs start to get dry I switch them out with a recharged set and I am good to go for another 4-6 months.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #37
IrishBoi
Just in from the Storm

Jay, is there any way you could send me a couple of pics of how the humi is set up? Im just wondering how you do it and if it would work for my set up.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #38
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Additionally, the beads can absorb as well as release moisture. This keeps your RH in the humidor where you want it even when the humidity outside the humidor is higher.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #39
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Additionally, the beads can absorb as well as release moisture. This keeps your RH in the humidor where you want it even when the humidity outside the humidor is higher.
The Boveda Packs Do The Same, Admiral. I Just Couldn't Keep My RH Steady With The Beads.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:48 PM   #40
IrishBoi
Just in from the Storm

So it is common to use beads and packs together? Also I have no idea what count my humi is. How do I know what to start with? For example one pack and 1 canister of beads, 2 and 2.......