Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: USPS...
Is incompetent 10 41.67%
is misleading / intentionally frustrating 1 4.17%
goosfraba, your package will arrive when it arrives... 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Robulous78

Default USPS, huh?

can anyone tell me what this means?

[IMG] Capture by Robulous78, on Flickr[/IMG]

Package being sent to me from Mickey,
Supposed to be here yesterday?, yet arrived this morning 1 hour away in Asheville, and is not out for delivery?

Maybe this is why they are going out of business? or are they intentionally putting yesterdays date for delivery to make the process more frustrating? or am I just impatient?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: USPS, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
can anyone tell me what this means?

[IMG] Capture by Robulous78, on Flickr[/IMG]

Package being sent to me from Mickey,
Supposed to be here yesterday?, yet arrived this morning 1 hour away in Asheville, and is not out for delivery?

Maybe this is why they are going out of business? or are they intentionally putting yesterdays date for delivery to make the process more frustrating? or am I just impatient?

The expected delivery date is always 2 days from shipment. You just live in the middle of nowhere.

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Robulous78

then why in a world of wonderful computers is that not reflected in the information... certainly if I live in a black hole they know the package is in bound for a black hole and to add a day or two onto the delivery date... this is why I always end up pissed off at USPS... UPS and DHL, FEDEX all arrive when they say they will arrive... it can't be impossible for them...
Old 05-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Looks like the status just hasn't updated yet. Meh, it happens.

The expected delivery date is just that, expected. It is something that is computed at the time of shipping and is not a guarantee. If you want a guarantee, go pay 2x-6x the price w/ UPS or FedEx.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Looks like it was accidentally misrouted. Meh, it happens.

The expected delivery date is just that, expected. It is something that is computed at the time of shipping and is not a guarantee. If you want a guarantee, go pay 2x-6x the price w/ UPS or FedEx.
IDK how they do routing... so I will take your word on it... that aside why is it not updated in the information? I would buy that this is an accident if it didn't happen with, and a am not BSing here, every single package that I have personally tracked...
Old 05-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

USPS just has crappy tracking. I've had packages arrive at their destination before they update the system that it's out for delivery.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
USPS just has crappy tracking. I've had packages arrive at their destination before they update the system that it's out for delivery.
Fingers crossed this is what is happening...
Old 05-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

The number is a Delivery Confirmation number and it is included in the price of a Priority shipment. IT IS NOT A TRACKING NUMBER! There are other delivery services that will provide you tracking for an additional cost.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Robulous78

Ok... ok.... terminology aside is its purpose not one in the same?

Sincerely, I appreciate you guys trying to make me feel better about this... but I feel like I have been watching and waiting for water to boil...
Old 05-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
IDK how they do routing... so I will take your word on it... that aside why is it not updated in the information? I would buy that this is an accident if it didn't happen with, and a am not BSing here, every single package that I have personally tracked...
On second glance, it might not be a misroute, I was initially under the (mistaken) impression that Charolette was your PO. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually on the truck for delivery, the status just isn't updated yet. USPS's system was designed differently than the other carriers, their systems were always designed to track every package movement, USPS's, on the other hand, was originally only designed to track actual deliveries, so not everything updates in real-time.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
Robulous78

Quote:
On second glance, it might not be a misroute, I was initially under the (mistaken) impression that Charolette was your PO. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually on the truck for delivery, the status just isn't updated yet. USPS's system was designed differently than the other carriers, their systems were always designed to track every package movement, USPS's, on the other hand, was originally only designed to track actual deliveries, so not everything updates in real-time.
Hope so... mail usually comes around 3pm here so only 2 more hours of uncertainty...
Old 05-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

chill....
Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
Robulous78

ok ok... I'll try to keep composure... but I know I can't be the only one that has issues like this with them... constantly...
Old 05-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
ok ok... I'll try to keep composure... but I know I can't be the only one that has issues like this with them... constantly...
delivery confirmation is supposed to confirm when the package is delivered, QED, full stop, game over. All other intermediate information is a bonus and is generated primarily for internal USPS consumption, but some find it useful to stare at the partial tracking info in order to plan their lives.

But never use it for tracking. Heck, even the supposedly real tracking numbers for international are unreliable because the receiving country doesn't provide tracking feedback to USPS.

Btw, if this is high enough on the priority list to actually bug you, I want your priority list. 'cuz it's way below #10,000 on mine.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Just do like I did with Columbia house and BMG back in the day, forget about it and when it arrives in the mail it's like a holiday....it's coming bro.....patience grasshoppa
Old 05-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

If it is urgent then use an overnight delivery service. If 2-3 day delivery at a great price is acceptable then USPS does an excellent job.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #17
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Ok... ok.... terminology aside is its purpose not one in the same?

Sincerely, I appreciate you guys trying to make me feel better about this... but I feel like I have been watching and waiting for water to boil...

The difference is the guarantee, or lack thereof.

Even though USPS changed "Delivery Confirmation" to be "USPS Tracking" sometime earlier this year (late Jan or Feb IIRC), and is providing status updates to the package movements, it's not guaranteed. Neither the package movement updates nor the delivery date, so it's basically the same as what you had before just with the possibility of seeing where the package is/was accurate to a 6-8 hour window. So, yeah, they have status up there, but don't count on it, just count on the confirmation of delivery part.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
So, yeah, they have status up there, but don't count on it, just count on the confirmation of delivery part.
provided it is scanned at the receiving end, which in some areas is a crap shoot.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #19
racerX
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: john
Trading: (0)
racerX is on a distinguished road

So what's in the box?
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #20
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
provided it is scanned at the receiving end, which in some areas is a crap shoot.
Good point, all falls under that "lack of a guarantee" issue.