Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 07-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about
Default Paleo Diet & Lifestyle

I hate to call this a diet because most people who follow it make lifestyle changes other than what they eat, but does anyone else follow a paleo lifestyle? I saw a couple guys mention in the Crossfit thread that they eat paleo, anyone else?
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
mariogolbee

Default Re: Paleo Diet & Lifestyle

I would think consuming Palios would pose a major risk of internal lacerations.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

I am following it as best I can down here. I do not have access to the best foods as we do not have the best robust NEX. I started after getting The Gout and doing some diet research. I am working my way into the lifestyle part slowly as I fell off that wagon a long time ago and are starting to climb back on slowly.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Keep me updated Adam. I know your resources are limited, but I think a reduction in gluten should help with your inflammation.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

I guess I should tell you about my situation. I started Paleo last year sometime in early summer, and was seeing some weight loss. Kept up with it until our beach vacation which was a week of hoagies, pizza and beer, and the week after we came home I felt horrible. Paleo took a back seat I started working out and eating sensibly in moderation, but by Christmas my weight was 245.

In January I decided I was going paleo hardcore. I buttoned up my diet, and without working out I lost 30 lbs the first 3 months, which was fantastic but I also wasn't getting heart burn every day like I used to, the inflammation I had in my L4, L5 & L5,S1 discs went away, and my wife could finally take the can of air freshener out of the bedroom since my GI issues were now a non issue. At this point I am knocking at the door on 200 (202 this morning), which is less than I weighted when I graduated High school 11 years ago.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

My wife follows it pretty closely. Some of the "options" repel me (e.g., the use of Coconut and Coconut Oil) but others are pretty good. She is also very much into CrossFit.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
mariogolbee

Derrick, after coming back to read a few comments in this thread can you please I've a few links and/or describe what this Paleo thing is? I know there is google, but who wants to scour the web sifting through heaps of information for kernels of truth when it appears that you are doing something that seems to work for you. Besides, this thread title does suggest a description is in order. Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
My wife follows it pretty closely. Some of the "options" repel me (e.g., the use of Coconut and Coconut Oil) but others are pretty good. She is also very much into CrossFit.
Which coconut oil have you tried and with what? Thee are so many different grades and concentrations of flavor for coconut oil that completely dismissing it altogether is akin to dismissing milk because you tried raw milk, but never tried non-fat or whole milk. I'm not saying you haven't tied more than one "kind," but there is no information leading me to believe you have. Also, coconut oil has a very low smoking point, IIRC, so it can easily change flavor and aroma if overheated.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
Derrick, after coming back to read a few comments in this thread can you please I've a few links and/or describe what this Paleo thing is? I know there is google, but who wants to scour the web sifting through heaps of information for kernels of truth when it appears that you are doing something that seems to work for you. Besides, this thread title does suggest a description is in order. Please?

Which coconut oil have you tried and with what? Thee are so many different grades and concentrations of flavor for coconut oil that completely dismissing it altogether is akin to dismissing milk because you tried raw milk, but never tried non-fat or whole milk. I'm not saying you haven't tied more than one "kind," but there is no information leading me to believe you have. Also, coconut oil has a very low smoking point, IIRC, so it can easily change flavor and aroma if overheated.
Not sure which ones. I know that she has tried several and I can taste or smell them everytime. She has learned not to "surprise" me anymore as she does not like to be the cause of my puking. If she does use them she uses them when I am not around and in food that is marked so I won't eat it. She has learned to air out the house after cooking with it...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Not sure which ones. I know that she has tried several and I can taste or smell them everytime. She has learned not to "surprise" me anymore as she does not like to be the cause of my puking. If she does use them she uses them when I am not around and in food that is marked so I won't eat it. She has learned to air out the house after cooking with it...
Well then. I would ask about the smoking point, etc., but I assume that you are far more qualified than I on matters of chemical reactions. So, I guess it's just to each his own. If you get an adverse effect from the stuff then it simply is what it is.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

Coconut oil rocks my world. I mix it with the leftover bacon grease to cook my my eggs with spinach onions and mushrooms every morning for breakfast
Old 07-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
Coconut oil rocks my world. I mix it with the leftover bacon grease to cook my my eggs with spinach onions and mushrooms every morning for breakfast
I can't stand the smell or taste -- makes me naseous...

Old 07-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

Palm oil is another good one
Old 07-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

If things get much worse for me, I shall be adopting a paleolithic diet and lifestyle: I'll be squatting naked in the dirt, eating grubs, seeds, and tubers.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

Sounds good. If you can scrounge up some sweet potatoes they'll be better for you, less starch and all.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I yam cognizant of that.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I yam cognizant of that.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

Mario I typed out a whole long thing for you, and someone came and asked me for something and I accidentally closed the window.

This is basically what I had typed only better than I could do it.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defin...l-eating-plan/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defin...mal-blueprint/
Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #18
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Mario I typed out a whole long thing for you, and someone came and asked me for something and I accidentally closed the window.

This site is great!!
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #19
mariogolbee

Ha ha! I hate when that happens. Thank you for the information. I'll have to check it out later, but I think others happening upon this thread might also benefit from knowing what's being discussed here.
Quote:

Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #20
Joneser172

I have been living Paleo on and off for a year and like it a lot. The only thing that gets me is the Paleo hangover when I slip up...Horrible.