Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

View Poll Results: Is the brand doing well RIGHT now?
Tatuaje - Yea 107 79.85%
Tatuaje - Nay 17 12.69%
Viaje - Yea 74 55.22%
Viaje - Nay 27 20.15%
Illusione - Yea 84 62.69%
Illusione - Nay 26 19.40%
Liga Privada - Yea 81 60.45%
Liga Privada - Nay 27 20.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
muhren
The Cigar Artist

First Name: Mike
Trading: (43)
Punch
muhren has a spectacular aura aboutmuhren has a spectacular aura about
Default "Hot" Brands right now (poll)

Obviously, this doesn't cover ALL brands. It's NC boutique based and only those that seem to be highly discussed and run by young(er) guys.

Brand doing good things RIGHT now? Yea or Nay is what I'm after here.

Tatuaje
Viaje
Liga Privada
Illusione

Oh yeah, you can vote more than once and the vote is hidden on this one.

Last edited by muhren; 03-05-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: vote detail info
Old 03-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: "Hot" Brands right now (poll)

Doing well making cigars, or doing well marketing cigars, Mike?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
muhren
The Cigar Artist

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Doing well making cigars, or doing well marketing cigars, Mike?
Good question! Do you feel good about them when you think of the brand. Does something overwhelmingly positive jump out at you? Something overwhelmingly negative? Does something give you pause? If you think of the brand is it a positive thought or a negative one?

I'm talking generally well.

M
Old 03-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I have had cigars from three of the companies, and have some Viajes that I have yet to sample.

Tatuaje makes some good cigars, and some dogs. They spread themselves so thin, however, that they are turning some off with the dozens of releases. The marketing strategy is great though, because they have hundreds of BOTLs chasing their "HTF" multiple releases.

I was totally turned off my Illusione years ago when they decided to use the Jonestown Massacre as the center of their campaign. After enough time passed, I sampled some of their cigars, most recently the Epernay line and the Singulare. I like their cigars, and I guess I have forgiven their insensitive marketing of the past.

I have smoked a few of the Liga Privada, most recently a Flying Pig. Taste doesn't suit me, I am not impressed, but I see lots of BOTLs chasing them, so they most be doing something right.

I will probably smoke a Skull'n'Bones next week....of course one cigar won't give me an educated opinion, but at least I will have an initial impression.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I voted Nay on Tatuaje for their stupid amount of releases, yay for Viaje for their less and "seasonal releases". Illusione I've only had one but it was great, going to sample more. Never had any interest in Liga Privada so I voted them down. Their Pigs and whatnot are $13-$14 a piece too pricey and I don't like the sizes or shapes.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

I feel that all four makers are doing a good job of marketing cigars, and finding a way to create demand for their product. There are plenty of people seeking out these brands, and there is always a lot of hype surrounding new releases, at least in the online cigar community. I think the Liga Privada line has done an especially good job of getting "serious" cigar smokers to think of Drew Estate as something other than a flavored cigar brand.
I have yet to try a Viaje, but once I can justify an order from one of their distributors, I will order a sampler. But that is due to more of the positive light they've received here rather than any kind of marketing that the company itself has done.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Thinly veiled market research annoys me.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
nick2021
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (17)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
nick2021 is on a distinguished road

Tatuaje is definitely doing good, as is Viaje...I wonder if this trend will last though? Seems like demand has gone up for these brands setting a certain level of standard. Hopefully, both brands won't compromise in certain areas to meet the new demands presented to them
Old 03-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Had some tats recently at the local shop and their quality is suffering right now. Had two last week with some MAJOR wrapper issues. The shop owner said that is becoming more and more common. That's unfortunate because they had a great stick a few years ago.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Old 03-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
muhren
The Cigar Artist

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
Had some tats recently at the local shop and their quality is suffering right now. Had two last week with some MAJOR wrapper issues. The shop owner said that is becoming more and more common. That's unfortunate because they had a great stick a few years ago.

So does that turn you off on them or are they just on a 'better watch out' kinda list??

M
Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 AM   #12
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhren View Post

So does that turn you off on them or are they just on a 'better watch out' kinda list??

M
Both
Old 03-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #13
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I'm hoping with popularity comes availability and affordability!

Smoke what you like!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #14
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I enjoy a few Tats, but the continual "special releases" got old a while back. Great marketing technique, but I have smoked a few of the earlier special releases, but cannot say that they really excited me. The ones I like are a couple that have been around a while in the brown and VI lines.

I have had a few Illusiones, ehhh. I would love to get a box of the Cruzado Avalito, those were excellent. Haven't had the Epernay or the Nostros lines yet, so I cannot speak for them.

As for the Viaje, I don't get them. Have had a cigar from three different bands, not sure what the hype is all about. Haven't had any of the special releases though. Do have a 2010 Holiday blend sitting, but I am nervous about trying it. Everybody hyped the other ones I had, and they turned up a lackluster performance at best.

I have had LG #9 toro sized and a Flying Pig. OK, not bad. Something exciting, not really. And at the prices they are charging for their stuff, I doubt I'll be trying many more.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I thought I had to go to the local library to buy cigars online I had no idea my internets works too!

Great info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I voted Nay on Tatuaje for their stupid amount of releases, yay for Viaje for their less and "seasonal releases". Illusione I've only had one but it was great, going to sample more. Never had any interest in Liga Privada so I voted them down. Their Pigs and whatnot are $13-$14 a piece too pricey and I don't like the sizes or shapes.
Interesting to see my old assessments.

To re-vote in this thread I'd go
Tatuaje -Nay
Viaje -Nay (went the way of Tatuaje, like two clowns in a circus)
Illusione - (they are branching out with a lot more smokes but no stupid limited crap)
Liga - Nay (not my cup of tea, but they are doing well I'm sure. Quality smokes, just not a super-full bodied smoker)
Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #16
hdryder

In my opinion the best thing about any of the brands listed is thier marketing. Sure they all have some good blends but most of their blends are mediocore at best.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #17
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

It's resurrected!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #18
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Thanks for the bump, Bro!

Last edited by replicant_argent; 01-18-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #19
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Sorry by my vote still goes to Don Pepin Garcia (and family) for his hand in so many GREAT botique blends.
And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #20
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Sorry by my vote still goes to Don Pepin Garcia (and family) for his hand in so many GREAT botique blends.
Gotta say, that is a wise choice.