Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about
Default Bergdahl

I know there are a lot of veterans on here so I am curious what you guys think about this. If you dont know what I'm talking about check this out:

http://www.npr.org/2014/05/31/317707...-after-5-years

Good idea or bad idea?
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
Old 06-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bergdahl

Your question is of a politically charged topic.

I say only this: Each and every US soldier who comes home is a good thing.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Your question is of a politically charged topic.

I say only this: Each and every US soldier who comes home is a good thing.
I agree on both accounts.

That being said, thanks for posting the article
Old 06-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

The guys a traitor. He left his base knowing what he was doing. He mailed his personnel gear home days before he left. He secured his gear before he left. Guys who where searching for him have made statements that the locals witnessed him "crawling on his belly away from the base" (from a soldier in my unit who was looking for him). This all makes me upset but what really pisses me off is that (if I remember right) 10 soldiers died looking for him.

If this all is true and I trust my fellow soldier who is at fort campbell. I would not have traded four white owls for this guy. Time will tell if there is ever really going to be am investigation. Most of my fellow soldiers say The US doesn't negotiate with terrorists. Well we just gave up 5 terrorists for a POS.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
Old 06-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

This thread is gonna go nowhere fast...
Old 06-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
Trading: (0)
8zeros will become famous soon enough

Hey, five less terrorists in Gitmo to worry about. What's not to like?
Old 06-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks View Post
The guys a traitor. He left his base knowing what he was doing. He mailed his personnel gear home days before he left. He secured his gear before he left. Guys who where searching for him have made statements that the locals witnessed him "crawling on his belly away from the base" (from a soldier in my unit who was looking for him). This all makes me upset but what really pisses me off is that (if I remember right) 10 soldiers died looking for him.

If this all is true and I trust my fellow soldier who is at fort campbell. I would not have traded four white owls for this guy. Time will tell if there is ever really going to be am investigation. Most of my fellow soldiers say The US doesn't negotiate with terrorists. Well we just gave up 5 terrorists for a POS.
Agreed brother
Old 06-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Ibtl
Old 06-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

“I am ashamed to be an American. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools... I am sorry for everything. The horror that is America is disgusting.”

This quote says it all, and good soldiers died because he "wandered off base". He should spent the rest of his days in Ft. Leavenworth.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

While all soldiers coming home is a good thing, I have to wonder if this man qualifies, given the mounting evidence that he deserted his post intentionally seeking out the Taliban. And the potential loss of future lives (Soldier and civilian) from actions of those released is frightening.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #11
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
While all soldiers coming home is a good thing, I have to wonder if this man qualifies, given the mounting evidence that he deserted his post intentionally seeking out the Taliban. And the potential loss of future lives (Soldier and civilian) from actions of those released is frightening.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #12
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Make no mistake, though, soldiers are in no more danger of kidnapping than they were before. This is 'propganda' and you
will hear it over and over this month on TV. Soldiers in the theater are in DAILY risk of death, dismemberment, torture and yes,
kidnapping. Is that last one worse than the FIRST ONE? I will let combat veterans make their own assessment of his whole story.
But don't throw gravy on that biscuit by saying it is worse for soldiers now. Its just not true. The object of war for the fighting man
is now and has ever been to keep ALL contact with the enemy down to your round contacting his head. To get close enough to be
taken in any form, with nothing left to throw at him but your gun, is not the place you want to be. Period.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #13
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8zeros View Post
Hey, five less terrorists in Gitmo to worry about. What's not to like?
Them taking up their previous positions in Al-Qaida. These were heavy hitters with the Taliban dude.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #14
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

I would feel like crap when am attack plained by one of those 5 kills an American. As a soldier I am willing to give my life for my brothers. All tho it most likely will not bother this guy. He should be held accountable for his actions tried as a deserter and given the most server punishment..... Death.

Just a thought for you to chew on. What info did he have to give up to stay alive?? When was the last soldier who was captured NOT killed in this war?

Old 06-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
If the allegations against him are true, and I'm not saying they are or aren't, then the Army will deal with him as they see fit and the UCMJ allows. But to simply abandon him there for those alleged reasons, especially without inquiry or trial, goes against everything we stand for and makes us no better than "them".
Old 06-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #16
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
Trading: (0)
8zeros will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks View Post
Them taking up their previous positions in Al-Qaida. These were heavy hitters with the Taliban dude.
Perhaps my sarcasm was too subtle?
Old 06-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #17
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

I've seen a lot of people saying that, that were serious. My bad.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:17 AM   #18
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8zeros View Post
Perhaps my sarcasm was too subtle?
You forgot to use your sarcasm font.

COO BlindMan's Puff
Old 06-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #19
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Every day I travel to work I pass a billboard with a picture of Bergdahl on it. This billboard is complete with a support website and the POW MIA emblem on the lower right corner. I never gave it too much thought about the circumstances on how the guy was captured, wasn't that much of an issue until recently, at least in my world. Anyway regardless of his beliefs, he is an American soldier and was serving in a combat zone overseas. Should we leave him? Should we only rescue those with beliefs we agree with? Did he desert? I don't know but it certainly looks as if he did. Is he entitled to a court martial when he returns? I believe so if the evidence supports it.

I think the core question is whether we leave known POW's in a combat zone, or try and get them returned to their home regardless of the circumstances.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:03 AM   #20
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Our most famous POW (Senator McCain) is against it.

This was a bad move by our president and solidifies his position on Terrorism and respect for our soldiers; especially after the VA scandal is still fresh. He should face a court marshal and let the military take their action. President's legacy is spiraling out of control (FWIW). He started off tough on the War and now we are down to this???

Personally, I would not trade terrorists for a soldier that is suspected of deserting. I am glad to see our soldier returned, but not how it happened.