Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #1541
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: NHL '11 - '12 Thread

Well, positive...get another game to watch!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #1542
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

suprised, but it happens
Old 06-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #1543
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I'm suprised too, but now I would not be suprised if this one went 6.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #1544
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
while I agree parise will sign with a contender, I don't think Detroit is a contender. Don't hate Wings fans I think the Sharks window may have closed also. Detroit lost Rafalski last year and Lindstrom and Stuart this year. Half the defensive core in two years is going to create a mess we Shark fans will love. They need to rebuild the blue line before anything else. Wouldn't mind seeing Stuart come home to his family and finish his career in teal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
As far as Parise "coming home", I am guessing that after getting this close to the Cup, he will sign with a team that is an immediate contender, rather than future potential. I see him signing in Detroit or a similar situation, Mike. Be shocked if he signed with the Wild.

I've heard that Detroit is planning on putting a heavy pursuit on both Suter and Parise, as well. I'd heard well before the end of the season that Parise and Suter were the main targets for the Wild this offseason. I believe that they'll be well enough below the cap to have the $ to throw at them. As for Det...I don't know. I've heard that Parise loves the NY/NJ area, so I don't really see him going anywhere but there or coming back here. But the only one who knows what's going through his head is him. His family still lives here (dad was a MN North Star, for those who didn't know that), and he's building a place here, too. Some people looked at that as a sign. I look at it like he wants an offseason home at "home".

There has been minimal talk about the Cup Finals here, and when it's mentioned, mostly what's been talked about it Parise. Unfortunately, I don't get the channel that most of the games have been on. Would have liked to see a few of those games. Will be interesting to see if Quick is back to being the utter stone wall he's been for most of the playoffs.

On another note, the wife and I talked about getting season tix for the Wild a couple days ago. If we don't go in on our own, we might split some that our friends have.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #1545
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Thefirstrow.eu
I think u should put a WWW. In front of those words up there and see what happens.

Ahbroody is a fictional character who does not have any relation to any off shore site and does not condone violation of any regulations.

As to Parise and suter as mentioned they are going to be sought after by many teams some with money some with a much more stable team on the verge. Why either would go to the D is beyond me. They are not one player away. If they get neither it will make Sharks fans smile and will mean the cap has done its job. I don't know if one will get there. I definitely don't see both. The last couple of years they have gone after free agents. The highly prized are not going there
Old 06-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #1546
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thefirstrow.eu
I think u should put a WWW. In front of those words up there and see what happens.

Ahbroody is a fictional character who does not have any relation to any off shore site and does not condone violation of any regulations.

As to Parise and suter as mentioned they are going to be sought after by many teams some with money some with a much more stable team on the verge. Why either would go to the D is beyond me. They are not one player away. If they get neither it will make Sharks fans smile and will mean the cap has done its job. I don't know if one will get there. I definitely don't see both. The last couple of years they have gone after free agents. The highly prized are not going there
Yeah I don't know why anyone would want to go to a team with 4 cups in 15 years, and 20 playoff seasons in a row.

I'm pretty sure the Wings are completely devoid of all talent. I'm surprised they don't make them play across the river for the Spitfires.

BTW, Wings have $26 million of cap space.

RFAs:
Quincy = $3.125 Mil, probably similar to re-sign
Abdelkader = 787.5K, 1.2 to re-sign?
Helm = 912.5K, 1.5 to re-sign?

UFAs:
Hudler = $2.875 Mil, may not re-sign. If so similar

On O. they have:
Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Filppula, Cleary, Bert and some good young talent in in Nyquist and Emmerton

On D. they have Kronwall, White, Ericsson, and youngins Brenden Smith and Jakub Kindl

They also have two young talented netminders in Howard and MacDonald.

The Wings need to add two D-men, replace/resign Hudler, and get a high end winger. The talk I heard was Suter and Parise were good friends and wanted to go somewhere together. The Wings have the cap space and like the Yankees in MLB, they are often seen as THE destination. I hope that's enough to bring them both in.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #1547
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

SJ Mike, we will just have to agree to disagree on this one....I would not be shocked in the least to see Parise and Suter both end up in Motown. Not as certain as the Cup residing in SoCal this summer....but close.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #1548
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
I'm suprised too, but now I would not be suprised if this one went 6.
On the other hand, the Kings have not lost a single road game this playoff season.

Is tonight the night?

Old 06-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #1549
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

The American Hockey League said its officials made a mistake in allowing a fluke overtime goal to stand in Game 3 of the Calder Cup final.

The goal gave the Norfolk Admirals a 1-0 win Wednesday night and a 3-0 series lead over the Toronto Marlies.

The Admirals got the win after defenseman Mike Kostka's dump-in hit a stanchion deep in the Marlies zone and bounced into an open net.

Toronto goalie Ben Scrivens was behind the goal to play the incoming puck, but could only watch as the puck took a wild bounce.

The officials didn't notice Norfolk had at least one player offside when the puck was shot in. According to AHL rules, the goal should have been disallowed.

AHL president Dave Andrews says in a statement that despite the error, the result will stand.

Norfolk can clinch the Calder Cup by winning Game 4 on Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BPsaKNqBXc

Old 06-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #1550
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
SJ Mike, we will just have to agree to disagree on this one....I would not be shocked in the least to see Parise and Suter both end up in Motown. Not as certain as the Cup residing in SoCal this summer....but close.
My post was a little over the top. Was trying to drag out Wings fans who are quiet unless there team is playing.

My point was and Tom you know this with the todays Salary cap history means little. Look at how the cup is visiting all kinds of new homes and it appears it will again this year.

Wings recent history is 2010 Sharks took them out in 2nd round. 2011 the same. 2012 the Preds got them in the 1st round. As players looking at teams who want to win a cup they know this. That means they need to produce more then the players that have left over the last few years. If its a cash grab I could see it. If they are looking to win the cup I would think they would look to other teams. The Wings are not two players away and I think that will play a factor if they are looking to win a cup now.

Although who knows maybe the cup is going to Jersey
Old 06-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #1551
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I think the Wings are still a threat, but there are 7 or 8 real threats in the West, so I get your point to some degree, Mike.

Should have gone with my original thought the other night, that the SCF would go to Game 6.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #1552
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Wings traded Brad Stuart to the Sharks for a unconditional pick in 2014
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #1553
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Devils are the first team since 1945 to go down 3-0 in the Finals and force a Game 6.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #1554
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Wings traded Brad Stuart to the Sharks for a unconditional pick in 2014
Posted via Mobile Device
MLive.com is reporting it as a 7th round pick.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....seman_bra.html

Wings also got Andrew Murray but like Stuart, he is to become a FA on 7/1.

BTW Mike, I don't know why you like stirring the pot so much. IMO UFAs aren't going to be beating down the door in SJ. They finished two spots back of your least favorite team and likewise got bounced in the first round. So, I'm guessing history might play a part if deciding between the two. One team has a history of doing whatever it takes to win, within reason and with class for the most part. The other team has been used as a verb "going Shark" as a metaphor for choking in the playoffs.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #1555
Wanger

With the series getting a bit tighter, how is LA going to react? I admittedly haven't seen any games, so I can't say how things have looked. Is LA getting a bit tight/tentative, with NJ Seemingly getting things on track now?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #1556
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

I can't see LA not closing it out. Will be epic if they don't.

Mike look a few posts back I said the Sharks window is likely closed also. I also am very aware they repeatedly have wet the bed in the playoffs and talked about it. I said they would not escape the first round this year also. The core of the club doesn't have heart and they won't win till it changes. I am a hockey fan who lives in San Jose. I watch hockey regardless of who is playing. If the Sharks win great. If not I still love to watch. Flaming the Sharks does not bug me like flaming the Wings bugs you.

I think you place to much value on history. Players in all sports these days seem to play for money or a title. Can't remember in recent history a player going to a team based on the teams past history and not current potential. Again I'm saying if I am those two and want to win now I look two teams that are one player away.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #1557
Will herf for food

VR

I understand. I'm more of a Wings fan than a NHL fan. Partially because I don't have time to follow the entire league. I agree that money and chances at a title are the biggest FA motivators. I disagree that the Wings window has closed. Many thought so when Yzerman retired; others when the cap era began. I think the Wings can go either way. With the right additions they'll be right in the mix, top 4 in the West. Without them, they'll struggle. However, history and potential for a title are intertwined often. Sure when you lose a long time superstar you often go into a lull. However, that can be avoided. I have faith in Holland that he can add the right pieces at the right price.

Off the top of my head the Wings have added Rafalski, Marian Hossa, and Ian White via FA since the cap era began. I'm sure they'll be able to fill some needs. Hopefully with some top level talent given what they're losing with Lidstrom's retirement.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #1558
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Let me say I never said the Wings lack heart. I don't think that. I just see the Wings as a team needing more then two good players to make a serious run given what the last few years has seen. Parise and Suter both have to come and hope some more pieces can be added.

The Sharks have more depth but the core guys just seem to lack in heart. Look at Marleau this year. He should be ashamed of how little he tried in the playoffs. Gutless and no heart. He's far from the only guy. SJ is this place where it sells out almost everynight the weather is great and media pressure is barely a factor. The wrong type of players here seem to lose drive. I like the Stuart addition if he signs. I think he will. His family is here. They should have let marleau go.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #1559
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Let me say I never said the Wings lack heart. I don't think that. I just see the Wings as a team needing more then two good players to make a serious run given what the last few years has seen. Parise and Suter both have to come and hope some more pieces can be added.

The Sharks have more depth but the core guys just seem to lack in heart. Look at Marleau this year. He should be ashamed of how little he tried in the playoffs. Gutless and no heart. He's far from the only guy. SJ is this place where it sells out almost everynight the weather is great and media pressure is barely a factor. The wrong type of players here seem to lose drive. I like the Stuart addition if he signs. I think he will. His family is here. They should have let marleau go.
I guess we agree to a point. I think the Wings need to add 3 above average players (2-D, 1-Wing), not including replacing/re-signing Hudler, and re-signing: Abdelkader, Quincy, and Helm.

The Sharks definitely have talent. To be honest I was surprised they went from President's trophy to where you assess them at so quickly.

As far as the Kings. I haven't watched, but a 3-0 collapse in the finals would be beyond epic. It would be historic, even crossing into other sports.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #1560
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

I'll take that start! Bonus points for Trevor Lewis finding the back of the net!
Closed Thread