Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default 13th Floor Foundation Series (New Cigar)

I got lots of photos on this one, so pop over to the site if you want to see more.

Size: 5×50, Robusto

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra

Binder: Ecuadorian

Filler: Nicaraguan

Strength: Medium/Full

Price: Box of 20, $165

Grade: 9.0/9.1

I can’t recall how Bryan White and I began talking, but we’ve been going back and forth on Twitter and via email for several months and it’s been a great joy to learn a bit about the production process. Bryan’s official launch of 13th Floor Cigars was at Casa Fuma Cigars in Arizona on May 22 (pictures). Bryan briefly described the meaning of the company name:
The meaning behind 13th Floor revolves around those rich, relaxing, priceless experiences with family and friends. And yes, the 13th Floor actually exists in Southern California and is a special place that I have visited with my family since I was a kid.
Offered in a Robusto (5×50), Toro (6×52), and Churchill (7×50), Bryan’s cigars come out of Little Havana in Miami, on the famed Calle Ocho, and are constructed by Level 9 rollers utilizing the Cuban style of tubing the filler (entubado) and topping it off with a triple cap. 13th Floor Cigars are produced by Willy Herrera of El Titan de Bronze. Here is what Bryan had to say about their relationship.
I had the opportunity to work with Willy Herrera of El Titan de Bronze on the blend for our first series. I met Willy Herrera at an event out here in Phoenix and we hit it off right away. I explained my plan and idea around our brand. From there, my wife and I went down to Miami and we met the El Titan de Bronze family at their factory right on Calle Ocho. After our trip down to Miami, we got back on the plane and knew that we were working with some of the best folks in the industry.
Add Bryan to the growing list of socially connect brand owners; check him out all over – Facebook, Twitter, and online. Sometime later we’ll be interviewing Bryan and offering a bit more information about him, the brand, and whatever else comes up! Bryan is also going to give away some of these bad boys on Toasted Foot, so be on the lookout.

It’s been quite a while since we have done a dual review and we were both really excited about this new release from 13th Floor Cigars, so, here it is – a dual toast of the newly released 13th Floor Cigars.

Pre-light, 1.8:
The light to medium brown wrapper on the 13th Floor pre-release is in great shape with minimal veins and well rolled seams. The triple cap is constructed well and the cigar is firm to the touch with no soft spots. The pre-light aroma is of woodsy hay with a sweet spice note on the foot. The cold draw produces notes of tobacco with some sweet spice on the finish, and clove, though the latter is less strong.
Additional notes and score: With a triple cap, clean seams, and a slight red hue, the 13th Floor is a beautiful cigar. The sporadic dark spotting creates a weathered and leathery appearance that is firm throughout. The aroma is of sweet cedar and nuts. A great draw reveals a slight spice with an otherwise muted profile. (Score: 1.7)
Burn, 1.7:
The cigar cuts well and the draw is excellent, really perfect right out of the gate. The ash is a consistent white and holds well past an inch before falling for the first time. Into the second third, the ash flowers a bit but this only lasts a bit before it tightens up again. The cigar produces an excellent amount of smoke with a good temperature throughout.
Additional notes and score: Excellent draw, thick smoke, and a stacked white ash, the smoking experience requires no attention whatsoever in between puffs. (Score: 1.8)
Flavor, 2.7:
The first puff on the 13th Floor produces notes of woody tobacco with a very mild spice. The first third continues this trend but I also pick up a hint of sweetness that is very subtle, almost like honey. The finish is super long and this is very pleasing on the palate. The second third finds an increase in the spice but the base notes continue to be nutty tobacco with hints of wood on the finish. The sweetness is still present but not as much as before. The long finish continues on this smoke which gives it a very creamy and smooth texture. The last third brings another increase in spice but the other notes remain consistent.
Additional notes and score: Excellent profile – sweet cedary and nutty notes are the core of this cigar, with pepper dancing along the edges on the tip of the tongue. The pepper passes fairly quickly in the first third, and doesn’t return until near the band. The second third is incredibly smooth and gentle, and almost mild in flavor, while the final third returns a kick of pepper and flavors of oak barrel, a slight cocoa, and a nice subtle creaminess. Excellent. (Score: 2.8)
Overall, 2.8: This cigar produced a very enjoyable experience. It was constructed very well, burned excellent, and had a solid flavor profile with a nice finish, which was the highlight for me. At around eight dollars a stick this is a good smoke which I would highly recommend.
Additional notes and score: This is a heck of a first impression and Bryan has done an excellent job with his debut. I think this cigar will reach a wide audience – Pepin fans will definitely be on board, while those preferring a sweeter and creamier profile will also find something to attach to. (Score: 2.8)
(Total: 9.0 and 9.1)
Old 06-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 13th Floor Foundation Series (New Cigar)

Great review. Can't wait till they make it out west. I'm eager to try them!
Old 06-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
E-Tx Surveyor

Very well written review, a nice read.
Its a little out of my price range but it sounds like an amazing smoke, and I love the name and the symbolism behind it.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Great review.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysguitar View Post
Great review. Can't wait till they make it out west. I'm eager to try them!
They are based in AZ Danny, so you'll probably be one of the first to get your hands on it...
Old 06-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
smokinonthe13th

Hey guys, just joined the board so I can talk with you guys directly.

Matt, thanks again for the review this week. Have received quite a bit of feedback, comments, and questions about our smokes, brand, concept, go to market strategy, you name it.

@Danny - Matt is right on the $$, we are based out here in AZ and are working on our retailer expansion. We are in discussion with a couple of B&M shops right now that have an online store so I am hopeful that we'll be able to offer this to our friends and fans while we continue to open accounts. I will keep you guys updated as we get this locked down.

I appreciate guys and look forward to taking this journey forward with you.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinonthe13th View Post

Matt, thanks again for the review this week. Have received quite a bit of feedback, comments, and questions about our smokes, brand, concept, go to market strategy, you name it.

@Danny - Matt is right on the $$, we are based out here in AZ and are working on our retailer expansion. We are in discussion with a couple of B&M shops right now that have an online store so I am hopeful that we'll be able to offer this to our friends and fans while we continue to open accounts. I will keep you guys updated as we get this locked down.

I appreciate guys and look forward to taking this journey forward with you.
Welcome aboard Bryan - here is the link where you can introduce yourself: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
OHRD

We're giving away 30 of these cigars + a 50ct humidor and t-shirt. Details here, on the CA Promotions forum!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Thanks for the opportunity Matt and Bryan! Already entered.

Bryan - What are the best avenues for a Jersey guy to buy some sticks?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
smokinonthe13th

Thanks for entering the contest! We are working on opening retailers across the country and hope to be in NJ soon. In the meantime our great friends at Bonita Smokeshop (B&M in Bonita Springs, FL) are carrying our smokes and ship nationwide. Our link on there site is http://www.bonitasmokeshop.com/thirt...oor_cigars.htm

Thanks again for the interest in our cigars!
Bryan
Old 09-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Quote:
You realize that one of the Team of 11 (Admins of the board) lives in Gilbert right? I'm talking about me

Actually had a question, seeing as how Casa Fuma cigars has now shut down, what other B&M's in the area carry your cigars so I can pick some up?
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #12
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

Partagas

Quote:
Thanks for entering the contest! We are working on opening retailers across the country and hope to be in NJ soon. In the meantime our great friends at Bonita Smokeshop (B&M in Bonita Springs, FL) are carrying our smokes and ship nationwide. Our link on there site is http://www.bonitasmokeshop.com/thirt...oor_cigars.htm

Thanks again for the interest in our cigars!
Bryan
Thanks for the info. I'll be placing an order tonight.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #13
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

Partagas

Orders In. Thank you very much for the information!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #14
smokinonthe13th

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
You realize that one of the Team of 11 (Admins of the board) lives in Gilbert right? I'm talking about me

Actually had a question, seeing as how Casa Fuma cigars has now shut down, what other B&M's in the area carry your cigars so I can pick some up?
Tyr - you're in Gilbert? That's great!! Yeah it's unfortunate that Casa Fuma is no longer around - what an incredible shop/lounge it was. So the closest B&M that carries our sticks is Blew Smoke on Cooper and Warner. From there Maduros out in Chandler and Big Sticks in Mesa would be your best/closest options.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #15
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

Partagas

Got my order in. Havnt smoked one yet bit sent one out in a pass. I'll give it a shot in a month or two.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #16
OHRD

Don't forget we're giving away 30 of these cigars to 13 winners. Details on this CA post - http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36297
Old 09-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #17
KidRock
Moped Herf Crew

First Name: Jon
Trading: (17)
Trinidad
KidRock has disabled reputation

I bought a single to try. Has anyone done a review besides Toasted Foot?
Old 09-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #18
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Quote:
Tyr - you're in Gilbert? That's great!! Yeah it's unfortunate that Casa Fuma is no longer around - what an incredible shop/lounge it was. So the closest B&M that carries our sticks is Blew Smoke on Cooper and Warner. From there Maduros out in Chandler and Big Sticks in Mesa would be your best/closest options.
Yep I'm in Gilbert. Val Vista/Warner area. It was a shame Casa Fuma closed down as it was literally less than a mile away. I'll swing by Blew Smoke this week and pick up a stick or two to try them out.

One of these days we'll have to meet up for a smoke and a drink
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #19
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road

sounds like an interesting cigar.
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote